I'm trying to create a new vault, but I don't have a plus sign or add vault button.

the_benlow03
the_benlow03
Community Member
edited September 2020 in Families

I would like to create a new vault in my 1Password account. My account is part of a family plan.

I use a Mac and I have the program downloaded. I open it, and click "File" in the bar that goes across the top of the screen, and I see the "New Vault" button. However it's grayed out and I can't click it. I checked for updates, and it said I have the most up-to-date version.

When I sign in online in a browser, I just don't see the button anywhere.

How can I create a new vault?

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS Catalina 10.15.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @the_benlow03

At https://start.1password.com/ the "+ New Vault" button should be at the top left of the screen, next to the 1Password logo:

Can you please let me know if you see that?

Ben

• the_benlow03
    the_benlow03
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

No, I do not see that. The area next to the logo is blank. Any idea why?

Thanks,
    Ben

• Thanks for the update @the_benlow03. In doing some research on this issue for you it appears that when we originally launched the 1Password Families service non-Organizer family members could not create vaults. We later added this ability, but it was only added for newly created memberships. It wasn't retroactive. There would be three options here:

1. You could see if your Family Organizer can create this vault for you
    2. The Family Organizer could make you a Family Organizer, so that you can create vaults
    3. The family could create a new 1Password Families membership, and each person could move their data to this new membership. In that case all family members would then be able to create their own vaults

3 is obviously the most work, but also would ultimately fix this situation for everyone in the family, without having to convey the powers of the Family Organizer to each of them. If your family does decide to go that route, our billing team can move any remaining credit from the old membership to the new.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

ref: dev/b5/b5#2640

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited September 2020

About option 3: does that break all links in the existing vaults?

• Yes it does. Links between items would need to be re-established.

Ben

• micahjsmith
    micahjsmith
    Community Member

@Ben my family created a brand new Families account within the last few days, yet as a non-Family Organizer I am unable to create new vaults (same issue as above). Are you certain that newly created Families accounts support creating new vaults for non-Family Organizers (resolution 3 above)?

• @micahjsmith

Yes, a new account has this capability. We just gave it a run thought here to make sure. :chuffed: Have you been confirmed by your Family organizer? That is one situation where the add new vault would not appear.

• micahjsmith
    micahjsmith
    Community Member

Thanks for the response, no I had not been confirmed by the Family organizer. I have since been confirmed and now I can create new vaults, thanks.

• You're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.