massive memory leak, excess CPU usage

rhornsby
rhornsby
Community Member

I looked up at iStatMenus in my menubar and noticed the little pie graph representing memory was much more filled than it should be - 1P is hogging a bunch of it. I know there are a bunch of ways that *nix calculates memory usage so it's difficult to know which number is "right", but Activity Monitor's summary table says 1P is taking > 11GB of memory.

ps shows the resident memory size of the offending process (pid 1861) to be about 5.5GB (rss is shown below in 1K blocks):

$ ps -o pid,user,rss,command -ax | grep 1P
1861 rhornsby         5512268 /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password 7 -psn_0_xxxxxx
39132 rhornsby          21964 /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/1PasswordSafariAppExtension.appex/Contents/MacOS/1PasswordSafariAppExtension

It's also consuming a way more than its share of CPU time (nearly 40 hours in 2 weeks of uptime):

501  1861     1   0 19Jul20 ??       2308:20.65 /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password 7 -psn_0_xxxxxx

Right now, Activity monitor has it hovering around 12-14% CPU.

Obviously, the most efficient solution is simply to kill and restart 1P. That's also the most brutal approach and least helpful to you guys.

I have enough memory I don't need to kill the process immediately, and everything is more or less behaving correctly AFAICT. Before I kill it to get the memory and CPU back, is there anything I can capture (without compromising encrypted data, obviously) that would help you guys in tracking down a possible memory leak?

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: 1P.com
Referrer: forum-search:memory leak

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rhornsby!

Thank you for testing this! You could take a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com. Perhaps the logs will show something.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• rhornsby
    rhornsby
    Community Member

Hey @ag_ana! Thanks for the prompt reply. While we super appreciate you, you're also allowed to sleep sometimes!

The support ticket ID returned from the email bot is [#JGL-58643-591]

thanks again!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rhornsby:

Thank you :D I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: JGL-58643-591

• fffailed
    fffailed
    Community Member

CPU 25% Always like this

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@fffailed:

Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password? Do you see the same usage?

• fffailed
    fffailed
    Community Member

After restarting, the CPU is normal, but after a period of time, the CPU will rise. This situation has occurred twice

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@fffailed:

If you see this raising again, please generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• Xipper
    Xipper
    Community Member

I also see high CPU after "some period of time"...in fact it becomes the highest average CPU consuming app on my system, with an average CPU of 15-22% continuously at all times when 1P is fully "idle", only 1P mini running. Quitting 1P entirely and restarting it clears the issue, for "some period of time".

• Hi @Xipper

I'd like to get a sample from 1Password on your computer. The next time the issue occurs, please do the following:

1. Open Activity Monitor from the Utilities folder of your Applications folder, or use Spotlight to find it.
    2. Search for "1Password 7".
    3. Select it and choose "Sample Process" from the Gear icon in the toolbar.
    4. When it is finished, save the sample to a file.
    5. Attach that file to an email to support+forum@1password.com.

Step 2 in particular needs to be done while the issue is occurring. A sample is a "snapshot in time," so to speak, so it will only be helpful if it is taken during the issue. Along with the process sample I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Please attach this report to the same email. With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/114966/massive-memory-leak-excess-cpu-usage#latest
    • Your forum username: Xipper

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• Xipper
    Xipper
    Community Member

I had collected the data with the 1P diagnostics tool prior to restarting 1P, when it occurs again I will try to remember to grab a sample.

Submitted as #QHK-88974-332

• markrbarron
    markrbarron
    Community Member

1Password on my Mac is painfully slow when looking things up. Often I have to wait over a minute to use an entry. The problems appears to have started in the last 1-2 months. How do I fix?

1Password Version: 7.6
    Extension Version: 7.6
    OS Version: MacOS 10.15.6
    Sync Type: iCloud or Agile - don't know...

• Hi @markrbarron

The next time this happens, or if you're able to reproduce it on demand, please send us the information I requested from Xipper here (replacing their username with yours). Thanks!

Ben

• As a follow-on to the above, our development team has indicated that we've made some changes we're hoping will improve this for v7.7 (currently in beta). If you'd like to try the beta you can learn more about that here:

Use 1Password beta releases

If you'd rather wait for the stable release, that's understandable. :)

Ben

• BLD
    BLD
    Community Member

I am seeing similar behavior -- high CPU and sporadic freezes for up to a minute when using an entry.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@BLD:

Thank you for letting us know. Have you sent us the logs already, as per Ben's instructions above?

• Luhmann
    Luhmann
    Community Member

I too am seeing high CPU when idle. Just started noticing it this week. I don't have time to send in logs right now, but will try to do so later.

• Hey @Luhmann

We are aware of a performance issue in v7.6. We have some changes we believe will address the problem in the v7.7 beta. If you'd like to give the beta a try to see if it resolves the problem you can find instructions for that here:

Use 1Password beta releases

(instructions on how to get back off the beta are also included)

If you do try it, please let us know how it turns out. :)

Ben

• atothek
    atothek
    Community Member
    edited September 2020

Using 7.7 BETA 8 and performance is substantially improved. Some lag when saving or deleting, but way better. CPU usage is still high at times, though. 100% (guess taking 1 core basically on Mac OS El Capitan)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@atothek:

Thank you for the update! It's good to hear that performance improved in the latest beta.

CPU usage is still high at times, though. 100% (guess taking 1 core basically on Mac OS El Capitan)

Have you noticed certain specific actions that seem to be causing this?

• dkav
    dkav
    Community Member

I just wish to add my name to the list of users experiencing this issue.

• @atothek,

When 7.7.BETA-9 is live, please continue testing and lets see if we got rid of the lag when saving.

• krustyfur
    krustyfur
    Community Member
    edited September 2020

/metoo

Sending a sample to you. 1P constantly gives a SBBOD when I try and copy a password to use anywhere. It has used an order of magnitude more cumulative CPU time than kernel_task or WindowServer since boot. It has a LOT of ports open. It uses twice as much memory as my IDE.

It is truly painful to use without closing it down daily.

Ticket ID [#KWT-13127-288]

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@krustyfur:

Ticket ID [#KWT-13127-288]

Thank you! We will take a look and get back to you as soon as possible :+1:

ref: KWT-13127-288

• chodorowicz
    chodorowicz
    Community Member

Same problem on my side. I will send the snapshot to support+forum@1password.com.
    50-100% CPU when idle.

• Hey @chodorowicz

Are you running the v7.7 beta?

Ben

• chodorowicz
    chodorowicz
    Community Member

@Ben I'm still on stable 7.6.

• Okay. Thanks for the additional information. This is a known issue in 7.6. We believe we've got it fixed up in the 7.7 beta. If you'd like to help us confirm that before the release of 7.7 you can find info on the beta here:

https://support.1password.com/betas/

Thanks!

Ben

• kaylov
    kaylov
    Community Member

When will the update be released - I too see high memory usage and "beachball" on Mac when opening 1Password and clicking to copy password for example. Not very comforting

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kaylov:

The update to the latest beta is already available, so you are free to give it a try anytime you wish :+1:

• fauzann
    fauzann
    Community Member

Hi. Any updates on when 7.7 will be released? I just found this thread after experiencing the same CPU and memory issues. I've turned on Beta releases and just updated but would much rather be running a stable build.

This discussion has been closed.