1Password and Single Sign On (SSA)

Here's is something that's been bugging me for a while now. There's an increasing amount of forums and websites where I don't care much about security and privacy and - out of laziness - simply click on the single sign-on with Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, or Apple. To make a note of the fact that I've no password but login through these social media sites, I've to manually create an entry in 1Password, which is cumbersome. Occasionally I also forget which SSO I've used before for a particular place and - by accident - create another profile (say, I logged in with Google the first time and the next time I'm using Apple or Facebook).

Here's what I'd like to see: 1Password should remember that I've used SSO on a site and which SSO I've used. Not the password (which would be saved under, say, Google) but the fact that I've used SSO and ask whether I'd like to log in with that SSO again when I visit the site.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gryphonent!

You are right that at the moment there is no feature in 1Password that can automatically take care of logins if you choose to login with your Google account, instead than with a separate username and password.

Occasionally I also forget which SSO I've used before for a particular place and - by accident - create another profile (say, I logged in with Google the first time and the next time I'm using Apple or Facebook).

The way I have been personally doing this is, as you said, to create a separate Login item in 1Password where the username becomes the email address I used to login, or I add a custom field to the item to remind me what SSO I chose.

• gryphonent
    gryphonent
    Community Member

Yup, but WHY do this manually if 1Password could do it for you?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gryphonent:

I am not sure if that is actually possible: 1Password would need to monitor where you click on the webpage in order to do this, right? We don't track users like that, so I am not sure if 1Password can do it for you.

• gryphonent
    gryphonent
    Community Member

Keep it simple: A slider, once selected, asking to click on one of the SSO logos. That's it. And when I'm on the site the app simply shows that logo instead of the password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gryphonent:

Keep it simple: A slider, once selected, asking to click on one of the SSO logos.

Ah I see, so you are still thinking about a manual process, got it! Thank you for the clarification :+1: I have passed your feedback to the developers for consideration, I see that it has been brought up before so I have added a link to this discussion too :)

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#199

• gryphonent
    gryphonent
    Community Member

I reckon everything else would be too complex. And if there's a switch or something that I can activate, telling 1Password that this login is through SSO (and reminding the user which social media site!) then it's already a big help.

• Thanks for the feedback and for ideas on how to improve this workflow, @gryphonent!

This discussion has been closed.