Option to Remove Duplicate Warning

chivalry71
chivalry71
Community Member

Sometimes I don't care that a password is a duplicate. I'm a contract software developer, and many times my clients use duplicate passwords for their internal systems. For example, they might use the same password to gain remote access to multiple internal servers.

I'd like to see an option to say to 1Password, "Don't tell me about this duplicate anymore." Basically, I know. I don't need to see the warning any more.

Thanks,
Chuck

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @chivalry71

We're evaluating how we might be able to build a feature that would allow for that without diminishing the important warning regarding the use of duplicate passwords. We've got some ideas. :+1:

Ben

• bourque
    bourque
    Community Member

Any update on this? Is there a tag we can use to suppress the warning like you can with 2FA?

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bourque:

We don't have anything to report at the moment, sorry! We don't have a tag to manually suppress this I am afraid.

• bourque
    bourque
    Community Member

Can you add that, pretty please? It's annoying to have warnings that are for things that are intentional, and actually can hide real warnings since I'm tempted to ignore, which hides the ones that might be real.

Just having a tag like INTENTIONALDUPLICATE or something like that would be great for those of us with OCD ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bourque:

Understood! I will be happy to pass your feedback :+1: :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

I like this idea. I’ll have the same login/password in multiple vaults, and it shows up as duplicates.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@prime:

May I ask why you have the same item in multiple vaults? I wonder if you could solve it by keeping only one copy of the item in the correct vault.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@ag_ana

May I ask why you have the same item in multiple vaults? I wonder if you could solve it by keeping only one copy of the item in the correct vault.

Because I share with family, but they don’t need all the info. For instance, the VPN I have has 2FA, but my daughter only needs to see the password. So I’ll have 2 logins, one that the family shares, and one I have that has the 2FA code. You don’t need the TOTP to use the VPN itself, only if you want to get I into the account itself to change billing info, which my daughter doesn’t need access too.

Home networks. Again, I’ll have a network with the name of the network and password for the family, but I’ll have another login set up for a network that has everything (special settings, guess password, and stuff).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Got it, thank you for the clarification @prime :+1: In these examples, if you don't want your family members to see all the information about certain items, that a duplication seems to be necessary, yes.

• dsm363
    dsm363
    Community Member

Have the same request. Sometimes I’ll have a password for a website but then the iOS app associated with that needs the same information. So it’s saved as a different login.

• Hey @dsm363,

It should be possible to use the same Login item for both the website and iOS app. Would you be able to give us an example where that isn't working?

Ben

• dsm363
    dsm363
    Community Member

Thanks. I'm trying to remember a specific example but will look for that. It's happened where I'll have login information for a website and save it. Then when I launch the iOS app, it doesn't recognize it as being associated with the website. So I enter the same information and save it. Is there a way to tell the website login that it should also apply to the app?

• There is, yes. If you copy the contents of the website field off the Login item that works for the app, you can add that to a second website field on the Login item that works for the website. Then you can delete the item that was dedicated to the app, and the one for the website should work in both spots. :+1:

Most companies use the same "Associated Domain" for both their app and their website so this isn't necessary, but there are some that use different ones and in those cases this should help. :)

Ben

• dsm363
    dsm363
    Community Member

Thanks. One of the apps is Workday. It uses my e-mail account login information but can't figure out how to get app to recognize it should use same login information.

• @dsm363

The key bit is the website field(s). To have a Login item be suggested in an app that Login item has to have a website field that contains the app's Associated Domain. If you save a new Login item for an app from within that app, or already have a Login item that works with that app, the website field(s) on that Login will give you the information you need. You can copy & paste those values into website fields on the Login item you want to be suggested.

Ben

• 1noah
    1noah
    Community Member

Hey, I have the same request as the other people before.
    Sometimes I just want to deactivate this warning (for a few certain items). I appreciate your intention – preventing unexperienced users from having insecure passwords. However I do think that there should be an option to at least deactivate the warning, but still show it in WatchTower.
    Maybe make the feature a bit more complicated to access. A Tag function for example, is something most users won't find, unless they're actively looking for it, and in that case probably more experienced.

I've been seeing this on several community entries, and some replies from 2017 say that "you're working on it". I'm really enjoying the product, however this is probably the only thing I'm seriously annoyed by.

Please fix it. It isn't that hard.

Noah

• @1noah

Thanks for sharing I will pass along your comments to the team.

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#130

• 1noah
    1noah
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

Thank you, I appreciate that.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Tommy, you are very welcome :)

This discussion has been closed.