Temporarily removing Desktop App Integration

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for sharing your thoughts @onepwdusr .
    We wouldn't have done it if we didn't find it absolutely necessary. We assure you we're not thrilled about having to unlock without Touch ID either here :)

Thank you for your support and patience. We're working non-stop to get this feature re-built.

• Gillr
    Gillr
    Community Member

Why is it soooo laggy when you type your password in on the chrome extension? Honestly s**t my pants, thinking I've typed my password in somewhere else, like slack, like 5x a day...

viva el touch id

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Gillr ,

I'm not sure what might be causing your extension to lag. Could it be that you're using Chrome and have an external monitor connected?

• Gillr
    Gillr
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply @ag_yaron
    Ahhh yes external monitor, is that it! Damn!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Well, @Gillr , the good news is that this is just a Chromium graphical glitch (affecting multiple extensions) that looks like lag, so you can either move Chrome to your built-in display to avoid it, or you can simply keep typing your Master Password even if it looks like nothing is being typed in, and hit Enter to unlock 1Password X.

The bad news is that this has been going on for quite a while now and we don't know when the Chromium team will address this. Either way, I hope these suggestions will help you overcome the glitch.

• rekoil
    rekoil
    Community Member

Agree completely with @throwaway123, and would also like an official channel for tracking this specific "missing functionality bug"

• Hi folks,

We love being able to have open and honest conversations with our customers, but that is only possible if we all remain respectful of each other. Wishing malice on our team members is not acceptable. Nobody should have to come to work in fear or distress because of comments left on this forum. We offer this platform as a means for open communication with our customers as well as the information security community at large. For that to be productive there are ground rules which everyone agrees to when joining. As a reminder, they can be found here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/83005/forum-rules-reminders-read-before-posting#latest

These rules are essential to maintaining a safe and open environment. Posts which violate them will be removed and further action may be taken if deemed necessary.

We understand the frustrations that stem from the removal of this feature from our beta offerings. Betas exist for the purpose of testing changes. Not all tests are successful, and not everything you see in a beta is guaranteed to come to fruition. Fortunately in this case this is only a temporary setback and we fully intend to deliver on integration between 1Password X and the 1Password desktop apps. Many of us, myself included, were heavy users of Desktop App Integration and are as anxious as you to see it return.

I look forward to hearing more about how we can best make Desktop App Integration work for you as we move forward with our efforts to give it new life.

Thank you.

Ben

• and would also like an official channel for tracking this

This thread and the 1Password X beta release notes would be the best way to track updates. :+1: We will post here when more information is available.

Ben

• panozfan
    panozfan
    Community Member

Wow... apparently, a lot of people really miss the Touch ID desktop app integration (me included). Obviuosly, you guys have created a monster that nobody can live without... nice work :)

Personally, I'm just as frustrated as everybody else not having this integration right now, but I'm sure that the long awaited update will make us all happy again :)

Keep up the good work guys ;)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the kind words and support @panozfan !
    Much appreciated. :chuffed:

• Spencatro
    Spencatro
    Community Member
    edited October 2020

It's now been almost two months... any updates here? Agree with all the others who have posted that touchID has become critical for adoption of a password manager. Seems this was not a very well-planned execution that's been messing with a lot of customers' experience, for what now seems like way too much time.

On an unrelated note, I have already switched back to the old 1Password chrome extension, but now I sorely miss the cmd-shift-x keyboard shortcut. Any pointers on how I can get that functionality in the old extension?

Edit: it turns out I could have spent a few minutes reading the 1Password extension page to see that the old extension uses cmd-backslash. I suppose I am appeased for now, but eager to use 1PX again!

• I suppose I am appeased for now, but eager to use 1PX again!

Sounds good @Spencatro. :) I don't have news to share on the 1Password X front at this point, but we're all anxious for it as well. :+1:

Ben

• burjoes
    burjoes
    Community Member

Until Touch ID is back, what are the benefits of using 1Password X beta and 1Password 7 for Mac beta? It feels quite complicated to have 1Password for Mac, 1Password for Mac beta, 1Password for Chrome, 1Password X for Chrome, and 1Password X beta for Chrome. And if you got the 1Password for Mac from the App Store, you have to uninstall it and go to the website to download 1Password for Mac beta, and remember it's one of the rare apps that you don't update from the app store.

I just spent the last few weeks switching to LastPass and have to say, it's not much better. They moved from App Store to website download, they don't have Touch ID for the Chrome extension, and after importing my 1000+ logins from 1Password, it is terrible about guessing which login is the best first choice in the dropdown list. And, it regularly opens a new tab to make me log in with my master password. They even have the option to save your master password, which I tried and it rarely works. Also, I could not get it working with Yubikey. My company has an enterprise license, so I thought it was worth a shot.

My point here is that you guys have the best chance to be the gold standard for password managers. You NEED to get through this messy time and land on a strategy - ONE app from ONE place, and ONE extension for Chrome. Make it simple, intuitive, and easy to use. Take a break from beta or don't advertise it. Choose 1Password X as your GTM approach and move on, etc. Thank you for taking my feedback!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @burjoes,
    Thanks for the feedback and information here.

what are the benefits of using 1Password X beta and 1Password 7 for Mac beta?

Our betas update more often with fixes and new features before these reach the stable versions, which is why a lot of users like using them. You can definitely switch back to the stable versions if you'd like though, since Touch ID is out of the picture for now. If you'd like to unlock 1Password in your browser with Touch ID, you can remove 1Password X from your browser and install the good old companion extension: https://1password.com/browsers/

My point here is that you guys have the best chance to be the gold standard for password managers. You NEED to get through this messy time and land on a strategy - ONE app from ONE place, and ONE extension for Chrome.

We totally agree, and are actively working on that. Our goal is to unify all of our apps and extensions to one single, similar interface across all platforms, with only one option to choose from. It will take a little while longer due to the barriers and technical differences between platforms, but we're definitely working on it.

To conclude, you don't need multiple versions of the 1Password 7 app nor the extensions in your browser. Pick one and delete the others :)

• burjoes
    burjoes
    Community Member

I uninstalled everything and started over with 1Password for Mac and the 1Password extension for Chrome - and Touch ID works!

What a simple answer - just stop using 1Password X and use 1Password for Mac from the App Store, and the 1Password extension from the Chrome Web Store. I wonder if some people like me are not realizing this...I've been frustrated for months, with no idea it was so easy to fix.

• bradpinkston
    bradpinkston
    Community Member

I like the 1PasswordX user experience better. If the 1Password extension appeared in Chrome the same way as 1PasswordX, I'd 100% agree.

• Hey @burjoes

The App Store isn't actually necessary โ€” you can also download 1Password for Mac directly from our website. Indeed our "1Password (desktop app required)" extension does work with Touch ID. As Yaron mentioned above we'd love to unify these two extensions into one so folks don't have to choose. :+1: There is a fair bit of foundational work to do in order to facilitate that, but we continue to work toward that goal.

Ben

• runofthemill
    runofthemill
    Community Member
    edited October 2020

Hey there โ€“ while I'm glad I found this thread, I wanted to share some feedback โ€“ it would have saved me a lot of frustration if the macOS app indicated it saw the 1Password X Beta extension, but was no longer able to integrate with it, optionally with a link to this thread or a release note or whatever.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback @runofthemill !
    Sorry for the frustration there, that is exactly the kind of thing we're trying to improve in the upcoming versions :)

• Penguinlay
    Penguinlay
    Community Member

Any update? I quit browser a lot so it is not convenient. Browser Assistant Extension does not auto pop up like Password X does so it's a bummer too.

• @Penguinlay Unfortunately, no. We're anxious for its return as well.

• Penguinlay
    Penguinlay
    Community Member

Okie. Thanks for the reply.

• On behalf of Tommy, you're very welcome, @Penguinlay.

• calicyclist
    calicyclist
    Community Member

Still no update?

Our company is coming up for our annual renewal shortly and we will be migrating to Dashlane if this is not fixed.

• Hello @calicyclist, ๐Ÿ‘‹

Thanks for bumping this thread and keeping it current. I don't have any announcements to share publicly yet but I can say that we've been hard at work on this and have made some really good progress. I was in some review calls with the team over the last few weeks and they've been demoing some great stuff that we're all looking forward to sharing with you and everyone else in this thread.

With that said I need to level set you that a lot of work remains. We're working through things and will share more as soon as we can.

Thanks again for helping us experiment with this new feature! ๐Ÿค—

++dave;

• bradpinkston
    bradpinkston
    Community Member

@calicyclist I didn't think Dashlane had support directly in their browser. Do they now? I thought their support worked the same as 1Password full client and the browser extension.

While I miss the 1PasswordX TouchID integration, I've decided to stick with 1PasswordX because the UI is so much better than the UI when leveraging the classic plugin. Add the 1PasswordX UI/UX into the classic/current browser plugin and I'm a happy man. Not sure if adding that UI/UX to classic plugin, or adding TouchID to 1PasswordX is an easier workstream. Difficult design decision to make.

• uu_sharkey
    uu_sharkey
    Community Member

@dteare - I know it's hard to comment on this, but is the team still tracking to release something with support for the desktop integration by EOY?

This discussion has been closed.