Can't create new login with command+\

shannoncoen
shannoncoen
Community Member

Second to copying usernames and passwords into login forms, the most fundamental outcome I want to achieve with 1Password is generating new logins, when creating a new account on some site. This is proving to be much harder than it used to be.

My current problem:

When I type command+\ , in the window that pops up there's a gear icon in top right that offers a menu item New Login. This is what I want to use, and what I remember always using in the past. However, now when I select this option my computer beeps at me. No message as to why I can't do this, just a beep. This is very frustrating. How do I save a login without opening the full app? Do I have to stop using a workflow that is only a keyboard shortcut away?

I only ever want to generate passwords as part of creating a Login; I'm desperate for the simple workflow I used to have:
1. command+\
2. new login
3. enter username and url into 1Password (url is often autofilled but incorrect)
4. click generate password
5. save
6. fill

Additional context:

• I should not have to open the full 1Password mac app to create a new login. I like the minimal UX of whatever I get when I type command+\
  • I should be able to create a new login using the window that pops up using command+\
  • When I type command+\ , I don't know whether the window that pops up comes from 1Password, 1Password Mini, a browser extension, or 1Password X. At one point I had them all installed and the UX was such a nightmare that I uninstalled the Chrome extension and 1Password X. After a year of of copying and pasting usernames and passwords manually I want autofill with command+\ again and I assume to get it I have to install the Chrome extension again.
  • I do not want 1Password prompting me to save passwords automatically; I find the behavior clutters the browser form and I'm too often prompted to do things I don't want to do. I only want to fill a login, or create a login, when I start with command+\
  • When I type command+\, there's a "generate password" button which is utterly useless. All it does is save the password into a black hole with a bunch of other nondescript passwords. If I do find the right one I can't convert it to a login.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:new login

Comments

• shannoncoen
    shannoncoen
    Community Member

The workflow that I described is critical in that it allows me to save all the login data before populating a web form. I do not want to rely on a prompt after I populate the webform to save the login, as too often the prompt did not appear as expected and I had to manually generate the Login anyway, ad go through a forgot password flow on the website to regenerate the password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @shannoncoen!

What version of the 1Password browser extension are you currently using? You mentioned trying both, so it would be great if you could clarify which one you have chosen.

This discussion has been closed.