Automatic way to "open" a floating window

Zabobon
Zabobon
Community Member
edited September 2020 in Mac

Lots of times during each day I look up an item (such as my credit card details) using the 1Password Mini from the Mac menu bar. I nearly always want to go one step further and open a floating window of the item once I've found it - so that I can copy and paste items from different fields into whatever web page I'm on (name on card, number, expiry date, secret number etc).

To do this I find my card using the search function of 1Password Mini. Then I click on the item I want (my credit card). Then I press Command+O to open the floating window. It is a slightly annoying combination of using the mouse to go to 1Password Mini in the menu bar and then pressing the keyboard Command+O and then using the mouse again to double click each entry I want to copy and paste.

What I would really like is to able to have a choice that when I double-click the mouse on my chosen credit card in the Mini list, the floating window opens. So, in other words be able to achieve opening the floating window without having to hit a keyboard shortcut.

I know that the default for double-clicking a login item is to go to that webpage and fill. But my credit card item has no web page associated with it so double-clicking at the moment does nothing. To be honest I very rarely want to go straight to a webpage anyway so I would happily lose the default behaviour in place of opening a floating window for all my items.

Would it be possible to make this an option for a future release? I have tried various way to achieve this behaviour myself using Keyboard Maestro but so far not with consistent success.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:open item

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Zabobon!

To do this I find my card using the search function of 1Password Mini. Then I click on the item I want (my credit card). Then I press Command+O to open the floating window. It is a slightly annoying combination of using the mouse to go to 1Password Mini in the menu bar and then pressing the keyboard Command+O and then using the mouse again to double click each entry I want to copy and paste.

To make this a bit quicker already, you could use the keyboard shortcut to open 1Password mini too. By default it's Command + backslash. So you could open mini with the keyboard shortcut, navigate to your credit card item with the arrow keys, and then use Cmd + O to open the card in its separate window ;)

• Zabobon
    Zabobon
    Community Member

Thank you. That is better I agree. But it still a lot of key presses to do something I do over and over again.

What would be great is if 1Password allowed saving of single keyboard shortcuts to the most used items and opened those items already in the floating window. In the meantime I will continue to work out how to use Keyboard Maestro to automate this. Luckily 1Password integrates into Keyboard Maestro very well.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Zabobon:

Is there a reason why you are not filling your credit card details on the page directly though? 1Password can fill credit card items too, so it should not be necessary to copy and paste every credit card field manually from 1Password mini.

• Zabobon
    Zabobon
    Community Member

Is there a reason why you are not filling your credit card details on the page directly though? <<

Over the years of using 1Password (and I have been using it ever since 1Password was first released) I have found that method to be very hit and miss - with fields left out which involves anyway going back and copying and pasting. I think that's the reason I just bite the bullet and copy and paste the fields.

I have to add - 1Password is amazing and essential to the Mac experience. It is one of the first apps I install on any new Mac.

• I have to add - 1Password is amazing and essential to the Mac experience. It is one of the first apps I install on any new Mac.

Thanks so much for that! It is great to hear when people benefit from what we're doing here. :)

Over the years of using 1Password (and I have been using it ever since 1Password was first released) I have found that method to be very hit and miss - with fields left out which involves anyway going back and copying and pasting. I think that's the reason I just bite the bullet and copy and paste the fields.

I can understand that perspective. We have recently introduced a new "brain" (filling logic) in 1Password for Mac, which should help with this. I'd suggest giving it another try. If you find sites where there continue to be problems it would be helpful if you could please reports those sites in our Saving and Filling in Browsers category, so the folks working on the brain can take a look at them.

In the meantime I'll talk to the team about the suggestion you had regarding quicker access to frequently used items. :+1:

Ben

• Zabobon
    Zabobon
    Community Member

I can understand that perspective. We have recently introduced a new "brain" (filling logic) in 1Password for Mac, which should help with this. I'd suggest giving it another try. <<

Thank you I will. Maybe I stopped using the auto-fill a long time ago and it's got better since - but in the meantime I got stuck in my habit!

In the meantime I'll talk to the team about the suggestion you had regarding quicker access to frequently used items. <<

Yes, I think it could be good to have keyboard shortcut access to the most frequently used items. I bet everyone has one or two 1Password items that they use several times a day.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thanks again for the feedback @Zabobon, understood :+1: :)

• Zabobon
    Zabobon
    Community Member

I can understand that perspective. We have recently introduced a new "brain" (filling logic) in 1Password for Mac, which should help with this. I'd suggest giving it another try. <<

Ah! @Ben I've just remembered why I stopped using the auto-fill.

It is because in the address field of my Identity Item in 1Password you only me allow one first line for the address but my address has two first lines:

House Name
    House Number and Street
    Town
    County
    Postcode or Zip

That is why 1Password always fills the address forms on websites in wrong - it makes no allowance for an address of two lines at the start even though every website provides two fields as the first two fields at the start of addresses. That is why the I always have to manually paste in the second line of my address. And that is why I eventually just stopped using the autofill and did manually.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Zabobon:

Addresses with multiple lines is certainly something that we can try to improve in the future. Credit card filling, on the other hand, should work well already, and will benefit from the improvements to the filling logic that Ben mentioned above. So if filling Identities does not work for you because of the address type, you could consider at least filling credit card automatically, so you can hopefully cut back on some copy pasting already ;)

• Zabobon
    Zabobon
    Community Member

So if filling Identities does not work for you because of the address type, you could consider at least filling credit card automatically, so you can hopefully cut back on some copy pasting already ;)<<

Thanks for the super-quick reply. Yes, I'm giving it a go. And having more fields for an address (as most websites have a street 1 and a street 2 field) would be great at some point in the future.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Agreed :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.