How to enable Touch ID in Chrome 1Password X on Macbook Pro

I've seen lots of closed threads with users asking how to get Touch ID working in Chrome.... some threads are about three years old. It appears the only way to do it is to use unstable Beta versions of everything....

although my Beta Chrome extension is currently saying "unable to establish a connection with Desktop app"

When will you properly support Touch ID in Chrome and why do you keep closing these conversation threads?

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 1.21.1
OS Version: OS X 10.15.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:touch id macbook pro chrome

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mwcs! Welcome to the forum!

It appears the only way to do it is to use unstable Beta versions of everything....

That's correct. Are you running the latest beta of both 1Password X and of 1Password for Mac? From the system details you included in your first post, it looks like you are only running the beta of 1Password X, not of the 1Password for Mac desktop app.

If you don't want to run the betas, you will have to wait for the feature to make it to the stable version. We don't have any timelines to share about this yet, so I guess it depends on how much you would like to test the feature :)

When will you properly support Touch ID in Chrome and why do you keep closing these conversation threads?

Old threads are archived to avoid stale information causing undue confusion.

• mwcs
    mwcs
    Community Member
    edited August 2020

Thanks for your prompt reply. I've been trying to work out what I need to do from all the different closed threads. So please can you confirm: the only way Touch ID will currently work on Chrome (Mac OS X) is if I use 1 password 7 for Mac Beta and 1Password X Beta Chrome Extension? Is this correct?

Presumably these are unstable and pose a security risk?

The Beta version is not available when purchased through the Mac App Store, so does that mean I have to buy another version through the website?

Do I have to keep checking for new releases and manually update every time?

If you keep closing the threads, how can users demonstrate that this is something they want? Do you have any intention of incorporating this into a stable release?

• @mwcs

So please can you confirm: the only way Touch ID will currently work on Chrome (Mac OS X) is if I use 1 password 7 for Mac Beta and 1Password X Beta Chrome Extension? Is this correct?

That is what would be required in order to use Touch ID to unlock the 1Password X extension, but 1Password X isn't the only 1Password extension.

The biggest selling point for 1Password X, at least initially, was that it did not require one of the "desktop" apps (1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows). This meant it could run on platforms we did not otherwise support, such as Linux and ChromeOS, as well as in business environments where end-users didn't have the ability to install desktop applications. That was intended to be the biggest differentiator. This is why we also still offer the 1Password (desktop app required) extension, which does integrate with the desktop apps, and as such can take advantage of Touch ID.

That said, offering two different extensions has caused a fair bit of confusion, and there are more differences between the two than is ideal. I think the eventual goal will be for these to merge such that there is only one 1Password extension. I wish I had a more definite answer here but we are admittedly in a bit of a transition period in this regard and not all decisions have been made yet.

Long story short: If you intend to use the 1Password for Mac application and also want Touch ID to work in your browser, use the 1Password (desktop app required) extension rather than 1Password X (uninstall 1Password X).

I hope that helps!

Ben

• mwcs
    mwcs
    Community Member

Thanks Ben...

Although I feel like I'm going round in circles. I used to use the app purchased from your website + the desktop-compatible extension and everything worked perfectly well... but then something stopped working, and I was prompted to buy a different desktop version from the App Store... then something else stopped working and I was prompted to use the X extension, etc etc.

Are you sure it's possible to use the "desktop app required" version in Chrome?

The whole point of this app is supposed to be about making life easier.

I really hope that you can get back to simply having 1 version of 1password which works on the desktop, the phone, browsers and the cloud.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mwcs:

Are you sure it's possible to use the "desktop app required" version in Chrome?

Yes, that is certainly also an option. You can download it from here.

• mwcs
    mwcs
    Community Member

OK, thanks. I was originally forced to use 1Password X because the normal Chrome extension wasn't working. However, I've reverted back to the normal one now, and so far, so good.

• Thanks for the update @mwcs. :)

Ben

• mlawdawg
    mlawdawg
    Community Member
    edited September 2020

Hi Ben, read your reply on Aug 4 and thought that was the info I needed. However, after removing 1Password X Beta 1.22.2 Chrome extension because it's NOT ever prompting me for touchID on my macbook running
    1Password 7
    Version 7.7.BETA-8 (70700008)
    1Password Beta

I went to the link you provided and downloaded 1password 7 chrome ext. After install, as soon as close installation dialog with text referencing new ext the 1password 7 icon in the chrome menubar disappears. Chrome extensions page says it's on, but no icon in menubar and NO prompts of ANY kind when attempting to signin to any website.

What's going on? 1Password 7 7.7.BETA-8 mac + 1Password X BETA 1.22.2 chrome ext works fine EXCEPT chrome ext is NOT using touchID.

What combination on macbook is going to give me touchID in Chrome extension?

Thanks,
    Mark

PS. My 1password account is [redacted] (not sure why my discussion thread email is different email address)

Post edited to remove email address. Please do not post details such as your email address here. This is a public forum.

• ag_tommy
    edited September 2020

@mlawdawg

Touch ID in 1Password X has been temporarily removed. While the development team reworks the extension. https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/115228/temporarily-removing-desktop-app-integration

Do you see the puzzle piece shaped icon in the browser? Click it on and locate the 1Password extension. Click the Pin icon next to it to keep it shown.

In order to use Touch ID you will need to use the companion app extension until Touch ID returns to 1Password X.

• I also removed you email from your earlier post for your privacy.
  • mlawdawg
    mlawdawg
    Community Member

Hi ag_tommy, thanks so much for your reply. Used chrome for years. Crazy I didn't know about the puzzle piece and pin. That did the trick. touchID is working now using 1password 7 chrome ext with 1password 7 beta 7 desktop app. thanks again!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of ag_tommy, you're most welcome @mlawdawg :)

• sdimbert
    sdimbert
    Community Member

Guys, I've got another wrinkle.

I use a MacBook Air at home and a Chromebook at work.

Because I "live in" Chrome at work, I use the Chrome browser on my Mac at home. Under these circumstances, if I understand things correctly, I should be running 1Password7 on my Mac and the 1Password (desktop app required) extension in Chrome on both my Mac and my Chromebook?

Am I correct?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @sdimbert ,

If you want to be able to unlock with Touch ID, then yes, you should use the 1Password 7 app and the 1Password (desktop app required) extension.
    In case you don't use Touch ID (or if you don't mind unlocking by typing your Master Password), we recommend the 1Password X extension instead.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2020

Hey @Ramst3r ,

1Password X does a better job at autofilling and has a better UI and workflow, that goes without saying.
    However, it does currently lack the Touch ID unlock feature, which we're working on right now! So hopefully it will be released soon :)

You can disable 1Password X in all of your browsers instead of uninstalling it, so you'll be able to switch back if/when you want to give it another go after we release the Touch ID feature in it. Installing the old companion extension is just a click away and doesn't require you to set it up with your Secret Key or Master Password like 1Password X does: https://1password.com/browsers/

Thanks for sharing this feedback!

• mlawdawg
    mlawdawg
    Community Member

So, I'm back using 1Password 7 browser ext. (instead of 1Password X) with 1Password 7 app. touchId is working. Cool. However... now I no longer get the 1Password icon IN the username/password fields like I used to. I have to go to Chrome toolbar and select 1Password 7 etc. icon, which then brings up relevant items, and autofill button is working from that dialog.

I'm missing the 1Password icon that used to appear in the username/password fields, from which I could click it and then select an appropriate entry and go. Was that a 1Password X feature that is now gone since I'm running 1Password 7 ext?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @mlawdawg ,
    Yes, that was 1Password X's main advantage over the old companion extension, that it showed up inside usernames and password fields.

However, using the companion extension, you don't have to click its icon on the top right corner of your browser. Instead, you can use a keyboard shortcut to autofill whatever's on the page, which makes things a lot faster and easier.
    CTRL+\ (Control + Backslash) on Windows, or CMD+\ (Command + Backslash) on a Mac, will autofill whatever is on the page without you having to interact with the extension's icon at all.

The other option is to go back to 1Password X and using it without Touch ID for a little while. There are some things you can do to make it more tolerable:

• Adjust the auto-lock timer settings of 1Password X so it won't lock up after 5-10 minutes of idle time (which is the default but is customizable).
    • Keep the browser open at all times. If you quit your browser, 1Password X will lock up regardless of the auto-lock settings.
    • Change your Master Password to a memorable password, which is easier to type and remember: https://1password.com/password-generator/?type=memorable

I hope that helps.

• sdimbert
    sdimbert
    Community Member

Hey ag_yaron,

I followed your directions and removed everything except the 1Password (desktop app required) extension. The problem is that I work on two devices, a Mac at work and a ChromeOS device at home... and I use Chrome on both. Now that I have only the one extension installed, I can not unlock 1Password on my Chromebook. I am logged into Chrome on both devices, so the Extensions sync... see my issue?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@sdimbert – Ah, yes. That'll definitely be an issue if you have your Chrome extensions set to sync between devices. Are there other extensions that you need to sync between the two? If not, I'd suggest disabling the sync of extensions in Chrome that way you can have two different extensions. I believe you already know this, but 1Password X is the only option for a ChromeOS device. I believe you can disable sync specifically for extensions, that way the rest of your data still syncs. I found Chrome's guide here.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any other questions!

• Bumping to see if there is an update for Touch ID support in the 1Password X Chrome extension on macOS.

Any information is appreciated. Very much looking forward to this feature.

I am currently using Safari and I miss Chrome. Being able to use 1Password X with Touch ID is a killer feature for myself and the sole reason I have currently switched browsers.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @jhnbkr ,
    I know that feeling! We're all anxiously waiting for that feature to return, but no news as of yet unfortunately.

We do know something big is coming soon, we just don't know the exact date yet, so keep your apps up to date and stay tuned :)

• durstigeskamel
    durstigeskamel
    Community Member

Are there any news or updated timeline?

• @durstigeskamel

At this time I do not have any news to share. :( I'm sorry.

• thebitguru
    thebitguru
    Community Member

Hi,
    I am trying out 1Password as a replacement for LastPass. I was excited to see all the advanced features that 1Password supported, but I am quite disappointed to see that this feature was removed. I hope the dev teams prioritize and deliver it soon. Thanks!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey there @thebitguru! Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your experience and for sharing that feedback. Our developers are indeed working hard on improving the overall experience of 1Password in the browser, and support for Touch ID is definitely something on their radar. We don't have any updates as of yet, but as Yaron said, keep your apps up to date and stay tuned!

• thebitguru
    thebitguru
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick response, Joy. Any ideas on when it might be released?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@thebitguru - Unfortunately, we don't know as of yet. Feel free to reach out to us at anytime about it though. We can always check on it for you.

• thebitguru
    thebitguru
    Community Member

Yes, that would be awesome if you could check on it. Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome :+1: :)

• svantill
    svantill
    Community Member

I am on the latest version of the 1Password desktop app (7.8), the Chrome extension (1.23.1), and Mac OS (Big Sur 11.2.3). The desktop app works fine with Touch ID. The Chrom extension does not. Many reboots, many reinstallation of the extension, checking, checking, checking every setting three times. Still works with app, not with Chrome. How can I fix this?

This discussion has been closed.