To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

password randomly reverts to my pre-subscription password

Options
mikeh64
mikeh64
Community Member

I have used 1password for more than a decade as a stand-alone license with Dropbox syncing and have recently moved to the subscription, and created a new master password. Other than some confusing set-up stuff everything seems fine - except on my Mac and iPhone 1Password sometimes will only accept my previous master password, then other times it wants my new master password. No matter which one it asks for, it correctly logs in to my subscription-based account and vaults. I have "always open in" set to my new "private" vault, I have my old "primary" vault unchecked in "show in all vaults", and have my new "private" vault chosen as the "vault for saving".

Is there some way to fix this? It is concerning to me that sometimes I cannot login to 1Password using my new master password.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac 10.14.6, iOS 13.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mikeh64! Welcome to the forum!

It is concerning to me that sometimes I cannot login to 1Password using my new master password.

The way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

So if you want your 1Password app to unlock with the Master Password of your new account, please remove your old Primary vault from the app. You should not need to keep this old vault in the app anyway, since sync happens automatically via your 1Password account ;)

This discussion has been closed.