Password strength indicator column not updating.

I am using the 1password application for windows 7 64 bit. Whenever I update an old weak password (one that was created a while ago) with a more complex updated password, the password column that indicates it's strength still shows the old and now incorrect rating.

As an example, I updated an old 6 character password, which showed as red, to a new 24 character complex password. Historically, this will change the row to be green. However, this is no longer updating.

If I delete and restore from trash, it will still show red (not updated).
If I delete and completely remove it, and then recreate with the new complex password, it shows green.

My application version: 1.0.9.259, I also tried with: 1.0.9.BETA-269

Screenshot attached.
1p.png 16.5K

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forum, gypsyx007!

Are you changing the password in 1Password itself or in one of the browser extensions?

Can you describe the steps you're taking when change the password?
  • guiambros
    guiambros
    Community Member
    I'm having the exact same problem: the password strength indicator doesn't change after I update a password. I have now several entries with very long passwords (25+), and yet Password Strength indicator shows it has a reasonably weak password (brown-ish, slightly bigger than those with red bars).

Sometimes I'm able to "force" 1P to update the indicator by opening the entry and making some change to the fields, but it doesn't work all the time. I tried both with Stable as well as beta, and no difference. This happens on the Windows version, but I also use 1P on Mac and iOS devices.

I read somewhere that you were changing the method of storing passwords on the disk, and as such this type of behavior could happen temporarily. Is it really the case, and if yes, is there a way to force an update?

Another related issue: I noticed one that now 1P stores all your password history. Is there a way to disable it? I don't see any advantage of having all my password history (quite the opposite; it makes me feel less secure and cause minor trouble when searching for old passwords).

Thanks!
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    What happens when you repair your data? File > Repair 1Password Data
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    guiambros wrote:

Another related issue: I noticed one that now 1P stores all your password history. Is there a way to disable it? I don't see any advantage of having all my password history (quite the opposite; it makes me feel less secure and cause minor trouble when searching for old passwords).

Just curious: In what way is it less secure to store old passwords (which no longer work) than to store current and active passwords? I ask because all of your 1Password data is equally secure, protected by encryption based on your master password.
  • I updated to 1.0.9.270 of the windows app and the problem appears resolved. All the old items had an incorrect indicator are now working.

Thanks.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for updating the thread, gypsyx007!
  • Tran
    Tran
    Community Member
    edited January 2012

What happens when you repair your data? File > Repair 1Password Data

This works too! Thanks, I was having the same issue.

For your information, these were my steps to changing my passwords:
    1. A new login with a weak-strength password was created by using the browser extension.
    2. Unlocked the 1Password desktop software.
    3. In the Logins "vault", a login with a weak-strength password was doubled-clicked.
    4. This opened a dialog box titled Login.
    5. In the Login Field area (at the bottom of the Login dialog box), the entry that displays password in both type and designation field was double-clicked.
    6. This opened a dialog box titled Login Field.
    7. A button titled Generate (on the right of the Value field where the password is stored) was clicked.
    8. The Generate Password dialog box opened.
    9. A new password was generated. The Generate Password dialog box was closed by clicking on the OK button.
    10. The Login Field and Login dialog boxes were closed by clicking on their OK buttons.
    11. The column that indicate the password's strength does not update.

Update: I can't reproduce this anymore (maybe software updates solved the issue, using Windows XP and not Windows 7), but I clearly remember that the steps above caused the issue.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks, Tran. I haven't seen the problem you describe, and I've confirmed that those steps do correctly update the existing password with the newly generated strong password, as expected.
This discussion has been closed.