Incorrect password from Bank login

I am using 1Password in the trial mode and so far I find the product right for me.

I have successfully saved and used a number of online Bank logins via the 1Password button in Firefox. However, I am a customer of a Bank whose website requires the typing of the password using a sort of "keyboard" that appears in the Bank login online page https://www.nettelle...5.asp?WCI=entry

When I fill the required password using this "keyboard" and save it in 1Password, I notice then that 1Password generates something called MNO and PWD. The login details saved by 1Password in the MNO is correct but the details in the PWD are not. In the PWD box, instead of my password, I find a strange combination of characters (numbers and $, %, etc)

Then I have also tried to manually save the Bank login details but it is not working either. Now the Bank has advised me that next incorrect login will block my account.

It seems to me that only way to log into this Bank website is typing my password using the mentioned "keyboard".

Hopefully someone may know the answer to solve this inconvenient.
Thank you for your time.
Regards,
Martin

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2012
    Welcome to the forums, Martin! I'm sorry that you have to deal with such a poorly designed bank page. Yikes!

If there is ever a key logger on your system, it could just as easily also take screen captures when you click your mouse, so an onscreen keyboard doesn't necessarily provide any additional security. It's just kind of an inconvenience. Additionally, they are performing some kind of hash on your password client-side, so the characters in the password field are not the ones you typed. It's almost as if they are actively trying to make your life difficult.

I don't have an account there, but what I would try is simply editing the PWD field in the Login item you saved. Replace the gibberish that is there with your actual password and see if that works.

If you're still having trouble, try disabling autosubmit for that Login. Fill the info and submit it manually to see if that makes a difference.

I've worked around similar systems in the past like that, but they are all a little different. Without an account there, I cannot say for certain if it will work.

Please let me know how it goes. I really hope you don't have to put up with that keyboard every time you log into the site.
  • MartinVA
    MartinVA
    Community Member
    Thank you Khad for your message.

I'll follow your suggestions and let you know asap.

As you said, I have been dealing with that "keyboard" for long enough and hopefully, if your advice works, then my login will be much easier.
    Regards,
    Martin
  • MartinVA
    MartinVA
    Community Member
    Hi Khad,
    I followed your suggestions with no success. I edited the PWD field and disabed the auto login option but when I try to login the Bank site says "wrong login". It seems that the online security of this Bank is not making things easy.

I copy below the information displayed by the Bank about this secure keyboard. Perhaps you or someone else may have another way to be able to use 1Password to log in into this Bank.
    Thank you.
    Regards,
    Martin
  • MartinVA
    MartinVA
    Community Member
    Security features at a glance
    Login crypto keypad
    Members will be required to enter their password using the crypto keypad, featuring an enhanced encryption function, which will appear on the login screen.
    • The crypto keypad is a secure keypad for password entry which uses an enhanced encryption function to prevent passwords being compromised by key loggers or HTTP request loggers.
    • Simply use your mouse to select the numerals and characters from the keypad to enter your password.
    • After entering each character, you will notice random movement of the keypad, which is an inbuilt security function designed to prevent cursor mapping.
    • Your password will remain the same, however you can elect to change your password at anytime by selecting the option under the ‘Personal’ menu.
    • Remember to keep your password secret! Do not write it down or tell anyone your password and use a password that is hard for others to guess.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for writing back, Martin.

Sadly, I don't think it is possible to automate a Login on this site. They have spent a considerable amount of time to make sure it is not possible. What ends up happening in these cases is that people are so frustrated by the system that they end up using a much simpler password just to avoid the hassle. This effectively weakens security which is the reverse of what they think the system is doing. If they didn't have this system and you were able to log in with 1Password, you could easily use a password like [font=courier new,courier,monospace]w4it01VMf_bB|;{1=c8|8p7vw6c#)ZOXU2Yl`F_biUKAqQQS8V[/font] but that is effectively impossible using their existing system. For your own sanity, your password will have to be much shorter and simpler, and, thus, less secure. :(

I would recommend contacting the bank and expressing your concern over this matter. It may not help much, but if enough customers complain they may be forced to reevaluate the alleged benefits of their system.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you.
  • MartinVA
    MartinVA
    Community Member
    Thanks Khad for your message and good understanding.

My Australian Bank is proud of the security system they have implemented but, certainly as you say, the customers (myself) cannot have secure passwords because of this ridiculous security system. A paradox may be.

Cheers,
    Martin
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Best of luck! If there is anything else I can help with, please let me know.
This discussion has been closed.