1Password - Small Office - Family License?

Hi everyone,

We use PCs in our business and I have 1Password on my PC which I use with DropBox. It works great, although I'd way rather be using the mac version because the browser integration is nicer (imho).

We're getting ready for a major server and computer upgrade and I'd like to get 1Password for all six of our employees and use a shared folder on the server to store the database. All the sticky notes with passwords around everyone's desk is . . . less than secure.

I could get two family licenses . . . or I could get 6 individual licenses . . . either solution would work. However, although our staff is great, there could conceivably be a time when someone could quit and decided to delete our passwords. Needless to say, that would be a disaster.

What I'd love to have is a version of 1Password for business that would allow an administrator to set some type of safeguards against this sort of thing happening.

Even better would be a version that would allow for a shared master database and little mini individual databases, which could be stored on the employee's workstation or personal folder on the server.

I don't want to pay an arm and a leg - but I'd pay $100 for the program and an additional 10.00 each license without hesitation. More than that and I'd have to lobby the boss.

If the windows interface could be as beautiful as the mac interface, that'd be the perfect piece of software!

Thanks,
Barb

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Barb wrote:

It works great, although I'd way rather be using the mac version because the browser integration is nicer (imho).

How and where is browser integration nicer on Mac? Our browser add-ons for Google Chrome and Apple Safari are identical for both platforms.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2012
    Barb wrote:

although our staff is great, there could conceivably be a time when someone could quit and decided to delete our passwords. Needless to say, that would be a disaster.

You are making backups of your drives, right?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    The concept of sharing and multiple data files within 1Password has been suggested a number of times and it's certainly a very interesting and useful idea! We are considering this for the future, but it is quite a substantial change to how 1Password works right now which means a lot of time and testing is required to add this feature.

So with that said, I really can't make any promises on a time frame for when we may be able to bring this to 1Password, but that doesn't mean we won't. We've always believed in trying to be as honest and realistic with our users as possible rather than making lots of empty promises.

I'm sorry I can't give you a more positive answer right now, but thank you so much for letting us know that you would find this useful. We do take the number of users who request a feature into consideration when we decide on our feature lists.

In the meantime, importing and exporting 1Password Interchange Files is a great way to transfer information between different installations of 1Password (File > Export). It is not automated, but for my purposes it works well since I am not constantly changing the passwords I share with others. This way each use can have private 1Password data and import only the items they need from the rest of the team.

(Please be aware that the 1PIF information is not encrypted and should be handled with care while in transit and securely deleted once the information is safely imported into an encrypted 1Password data file.)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
  • Barb
    Barb
    Community Member

How and where is browser integration nicer on Mac? Our browser add-ons for Google Chrome and Apple Safari are identical for both platforms.

It just seems easier on my mac at home with Safari than it does at work with IE or firefox. For example, If I use IE for this site I can't log in using my 1Password extension.

Probably I just like using my mac at home more than my pc at work -- so I'm biased. Either way - I REALLY like having all my passwords accessible through dropbox. And I REALLY like being able to organize them by folders - work, home, misc.
  • Barb
    Barb
    Community Member
    You are making backups of your drives, right?

Oh yeah. Daily backups, and nightly off-site backups of critical information.
  • Barb
    Barb
    Community Member
    edited February 2012
    khad wrote:
    >>snip>> We are considering this for the future, but it is quite a substantial change to how 1Password works right now

Oh, well. :)

khad wrote:
    >>snip>>In the meantime, importing and exporting 1Password Interchange Files is a great way to transfer information between different installations of 1Password (File > Export). It is not automated, but for my purposes it works well since I am not constantly changing the passwords I share with others. This way each user can have private 1Password data and import only the items they need from the rest of the team. (Please be aware that the 1PIF information is not encrypted and should be handled with care while in transit and securely deleted once the information is safely imported into an encrypted 1Password data file.) If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

That would work. Maybe we could just have a shared folder on the server act as a "dropbox" folder. After all, it's work and I don't really need to worry about employees' personal passwords. We can all share the same 1Password file, which is way more secure than sharing the little notebook filled with stickies.

What pricing/licensing scheme should I use? Is there a break for a group license when 1Password is set up this way (or could one be invented)?

Thanks!
  • benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

In the meantime, importing and exporting 1Password Interchange Files is a great way to transfer information between different installations of 1Password (File > Export). It is not automated, but for my purposes it works well since I am not constantly changing the passwords I share with others.

Caveat: The 1P/Win docs state that 1PIF export can be used to move information from 1P/Win to 1P/Mac. The only data that 1P/Win can import from a 1PIF are logins. I check the release notes every now and then to see if there has been any progress on this front.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2012
    That would work. Maybe we could just have a shared folder on the server act as a "dropbox" folder. After all, it's work and I don't really need to worry about employees' personal passwords. We can all share the same 1Password file, which is way more secure than sharing the little notebook filled with stickies.

True. :) It sounds like that may be a good fit for your business.

What pricing/licensing scheme should I use? Is there a break for a group license when 1Password is set up this way (or could one be invented)?

Please see the business store for business licensing:

https://agilebits.com/store/business
This discussion has been closed.