Do not backup the data within the data; recursive backups will grow infinitely

Hi

I save my data in DropBox (path is C:\Users\daniel\Documents\My Dropbox\1Password.agilekeychain)

The folder is now a whopping 1.3 GB in size, and it caused me to upgrade my DropBox to a full subscription

Am I doing something wrong here?

Regards
Daniel

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Where are you backing up your 1Password Data? (hopefully not in Dropbox)
  • nope - my back up folder is C:\Users\daniel\Sony-New

not drop box
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    That is an unusual spot for 1Password backups. Obviously the backup location is customizable, so I am wondering if at some point in the past you had customized it to backup inside the active data file which would grow the data exponentially each time a backup was created. Perhaps it has since been corrected, but my guess is that you have a lot of 1Password backups inside your [font=courier new,courier,monospace]1Password.agilekeychain[/font] data folder.

What is the largest file in your 1Password.agilekeychain data folder?

Could you post a screenshot of your current Backup preferences from 1Password? I'll post mine as an example.

20120229-86fh2atngq8tenii728q9ew3s9.png
  • Monster files killing my dropbox???

Capture1.JPG
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Your screen shot is unclear, but I get the impression there are 12 keychain backups inside your keychain. I'm not sure how those backups ended up there, but it explains why your keychain is "monstrous". Those backups should not be there.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Please move all the 1Password backup files from inside your active data folder to your backups folder.

The only items that should be located inside [font=courier new,courier,monospace]1Password.agilekeychain[/font] are three folders ([font=courier new,courier,monospace]a[/font], [font=courier new,courier,monospace]config[/font], [font=courier new,courier,monospace]data[/font]) and one file ([font=courier new,courier,monospace]1Password.html[/font]).
  • Aulderic
    Aulderic
    Community Member
    I'm having an issue with the way 1Password is interacting with dropbox. Inside my dropbox folder is the 1Password key chain folder, and inside that are about 48 .agilekeychain_zip files, ranging in size from 5.6GB to 10GB. Using only the free version of dropbox you may see why I'm having an issue. Currently, the 1Password folder on my dropbox takes up about 318GB. There's also a strange side effect whenever I run the 1Password program; my C drive which is a SSD with about 9GB of free space will fill up completely in about a minute, bringing my PC to a halt as a random temp file balloons in size. I made the connection between this loss of SSD space by running 1Password while monitoring the number of I/O writes on Process Explorer and seeing 1Password quickly jump to the front. Once I completely run out of space on my SSD and my system is running at a snail's pace I have to wait for about 2 minutes until the temp file disappears and I regain my previous free SSD space.

My question is: Is it safe to delete the .agilekeychain_zip files from my dropbox and not lose my passwords? Is there a way to stop 1Password from creating a system crippling temp file each time I run the program?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Aulderic. I merged your post with this existing thread. Please see above and let me know if you have any additional questions. You need to make sure that you are not backing up your data within your data. Recursive backups will just keep growing. The default backup location is in the \1Password\Backups folder within your Documents folder. You only need to store your active data in your Dropbox folder.
  • Aulderic
    Aulderic
    Community Member
    Thank you khad, that seems to have done the trick. Everything is running the way it should.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Great! Thanks for letting me know. :)

Always glad when things are running smoothly.
  • butakimchee
    butakimchee
    Community Member
    I have 104.9 gigabytes of onepass agilekeychain_zip files. Is that normal? I probably have less than 100 items in my database. I use the PC onepassword and chrome extension.

Please help.

- buta-san
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hi buta-san,

I merged your post with this existing thread for this issue.

You are storing your backups within the data folder which will cause each backup to include every other backup. This means that your backups will grow infinitely. I thought we added code to 1Password for Windows to prevent this. Can you verify for me what version of 1Password you are using? Please update to the latest version

Please set your backup folder to the default (Preferences > Backup). The default backup location is in the [font=courier new,courier,monospace]\1Password\Backups[/font] folder within your [font=courier new,courier,monospace]Documents[/font] folder.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Please move all the 1Password backup files from inside your active data folder to your backups folder.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The only items that should be located inside [/font]1Password.agilekeychain[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] are three folders ([/font]a[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif], [/font]config[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif], [/font]data[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]) and one file ([/font]1Password.html[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]).[/font]

That will resolve the problem of recursive, infinitely growing backups.
This discussion has been closed.