1Password goes "Non Responding" when trying to back up

Hi, folks,

My 1Password installation on a Windows XP machine goes non-responsive when I attempt to back up the password database.

As soon as I select "Backup --> Back Up 1Password Data..." from the menu, the program locks up. This is done from the standalone program started from the Start Menu.

Nothing appears in the 1Password\Backups directory in My Documents. In fact, there's nothing in there at all, even thought "Enable automatic backups" is checked in Preferences, and set to perform a backup every day. The directory is not write-protecected, I can add and delete files there.

I'm currently running version 1.0.9.279 - just installed this morning - but I had the problem with past versions also. I am configured to sync via DropBox, and am running it also on my iPhone, Android tablet, and Mac notebook. The Mac notebook appears to back up just fine, from what I can tell.

The machine is a Mac tower running Windows XP; virus protection is Symantec AntiVirus.

I am running as the machine's administrator.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Best,

- John L.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, John. Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having this problem.

What happens if you disable your antivirus solution?

What happens if you change the backup folder to your Desktop (for example)?
  • lewellen
    edited March 2012
    Hi, Khad.

Neither disabling the AV nor changing the backup folder location seems to affect the behavior. The alternate backup location folder still contains no files after I force-close the application.

Best,

- John L.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2012
    Did you try setting the backup folder to your Desktop? If you used a different folder, please set it to your Desktop just to be sure that it is not a permissions issue.

To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please email us your Diagnostics Report? If you have an email client installed, you can send the report more easily by selecting Help > Diagnostics Report > E-mail to AgileBits. If you don't have a desktop email client, you can select Help > Diagnostics Report > Export to File. Then open your webmail, create a new message to support AT agilebits.com, and just upload the exported file as an attachment to that message.

Please include a link to this thread in your email message so that we can "connect the dots."
  • Did you try setting the backup folder to your Desktop? If you used a different folder, please set it to your Desktop just to be sure that it is not a permissions issue.

Yes, as well as to a desktop sub-folder, and checked the permissions on both as well as the normal backup folder location.

E-mail sent with the diagnostics - here's hoping.

Best,

- John L.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hey John,

Thanks for sending the report. I wasn't able to see it in our inbox just now, but perhaps you sent it from a different address than the one you used to sign up for these forums. That was the only one I knew, so that's all I could search for. If someone hasn't replied yet, we will soon. If you want to PM me your email address, I can make sure your message wasn't captured by robots. :)

Cheers,
This discussion has been closed.