OnePassword.sqlite Security (Dropbox Storage)

Greetings. I have been reading about the new OnePassword.sqlite file used by the Firefox extension. It generally sounds as if it is encrypted to the same degree as the 1Password.agilekeychain file, but I am unable to find an absolute confirmation about that.

I have always sync'd my 1Password keychain file using Dropbox. But I also sync my Firefox profiles through Dropbox, which now includes the new OnePassword.sqlite file. Is cloud storage for the OnePassword.sqlite file just as safe as cloud storage for the 1Password.agilekeychain file? Or is there a difference that somehow makes me more vulnerable in doing that?

Thanks!

Pat

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Pat. The [font=courier new,courier,monospace]OnePassword.sqlite[/font] file is protected in the same way that your [font=courier new,courier,monospace]1Password.agilekeychain[/font] data is.

The [font=courier new,courier,monospace]OnePassword.sqlite[/font] file was not designed for cloud syncing, so you are proceeding at your own risk with regard to stability, but security should not be a concern.

As far as stability goes, worst case, you remove the extension, delete the [font=courier new,courier,monospace]OnePassword.sqlite[/font] file, reinstall the extension, and you're back in business.

I'm actually curious if you run into any snags with that setup. Please keep us posted. :)
  • pmkelly00
    pmkelly00
    Community Member
    Thanks for the response, Khad. I sync my Firefox profile(s) in Dropbox, and have not run into any stability issues at all. At least not that I have noticed. :-)

I have noticed that the new Firefox plugin does not "lock" itself when my screen lock engages. That is, whenever I unlock my screen, I can bring up the 1Password passwords without typing in the master password again. That is new behavior I have noticed since the latest plugin was made available. I don't know if that's a new "feature" of the plugin, or if it's related to my Dropbox sync. Any guidance on that?

And kudos for a wonderful product!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2012
    Thanks so much for the kinds words! Let's see if we can get things working for you as expected. :)

I don't have any information regarding issues that might stem from your particular sync scenario, but I don't think that it should be affecting the autolock settings as you describe. We may want to stop Dropbox from syncing the profile as part of the troubleshooting process, but for now let's try leaving it enabled.

I am assuming that you have "Lock when your computer is locked" CHECKED in 1Password's preferences, but can you confirm this for me?

20120403-mswma7qx34tgibbj9s4kx2m84p.png

In my testing, when I have that setting enabled and lock my computer, the Firefox extension gets locked as well. That is, when I unlock my computer I need to enter my master password in the Firefox extension in order to use it.

Please let me know what version of 1Password, Firefox, and extension you're are using. Those three versions will help me better assist you.
  • pmkelly00
    pmkelly00
    Community Member
    Hmmm, Well, for whatever reason, troubleshooting isn't necessary because all seems to be working well. Not sure what the issue was, but I can't recreate it today, so all is good. Thanks!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Good news! Thanks for letting me know it is working well.

Please do let us know if you have any further trouble. :)

Cheers,
This discussion has been closed.