Ordering Logins

NovaScotian
NovaScotian
Community Member
edited February 2012 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
I have three passwords for a bank and the drop down login menu (from the plugin) always chooses the wrong one for the one I use most. Is there any way to order them? Failing that, could the selection be responsive to the up/down arrow keys?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Good question! :)

The Logins are ordered alphabetically by title, so you can prefix each title with a numeral to sort them in your ideal order. Another alternative that I use myself to "float" a specific credit card to the top of the list: add a leading space to the title so that instead of being titled "AmEx Centurion Card" it is called " AmEx Centurion Card" with a space in front. (That's also a bit of credit card humor as I don't actually have the legendary "black card.") :P

The one thing that puzzles me from your post, though, is that you seem to indicate that the up and down arrows do not function for you within the extension's listings. You should be able to use the arrows to navigate the extension (including right and left to view details and return to the list respectively).

Is that not working for you? What version of 1Password, browser, and extension are you using?
  • NovaScotian
    NovaScotian
    Community Member
    The space does the trick -- thanks. I wasn't aware that changing the name basically wouldn't spoil the linkage.

Yes, my up down keys work; at one point in the past they didn't and I hadn't checked again.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Fantastic! I'm glad that helps.

If you need anything else, you know where to find me. :D
  • benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited May 2012
    Related ordering request.

I'd like to be able to mark logins or other data items in a way that will put them at the bottom of a list sorted by Name. Usually this would be used for items that have become obsolete (old health insurance, closed accounts, etc.) and that I want to preserve but keep out-of-the-way.

I've tried a great many non-alphanumeric characters, ASCII and otherwise, but every one of them sorts to the top.

I know I could use zz as a prefix to get the behavior I'm looking for, but I'd rather use a symbol like ~ (0x7E, the last printable ASCII character) or † (dagger, typed as ⌥t on the standard Mac keyboard, signifying “deceased”).
  • Guffee
    Guffee
    Community Member
    benfdc wrote:

I'd like to be able to mark logins or other data items in a way that will put them at the bottom of a list sorted by Name. Usually this would be used for items that have become obsolete (old health insurance, closed accounts, etc.) and that I want to preserve but keep out-of-the-way.

I've tried a great many alphanumeric characters, ASCII and otherwise, but every one of them sorts to the top.

I know I could use zz as a prefix to get the behavior I'm looking for, but I'd rather use a symbol like ~ (0x7E, the last printable ASCII character) or † (dagger, typed as ⌥t on the standard Mac keyboard, signifying “deceased”).

If your are using a MacIntoch, try using "Φ" from the Greek character set. It will float to the bottom.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    benfdc wrote:

† (dagger, typed as ⌥t on the standard Mac keyboard, signifying “deceased”).

I like that idea would someone implement it I currently use x.. for older item of limited use aka my archive
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    If you don't wish the items to show up at all in the browser extension, you can also set the Display value to "Never display in browser."
    20120501-rt2dys28g787a6cdc543us9dig.png
  • benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited May 2012
    khad wrote:

If you don't wish the items to show up at all in the browser extension, you can also set the Display value to "Never display in browser."

True, but I'm talking about the App, not the browser extension. And this applies to many item types, not just Logins.

Guffee wrote:

If your are using a MacIntoch, try using "Φ" from the Greek character set. It will float to the bottom.

That works, alright, but it's too tough to type. There are easier-to-type Greek characters that also seem to work, including Ω (⌥z), µ (⌥m), and π (⌥p), but none of those really speaks to me.

Your suggestion did lead me to ø (⌥o), which also sorts to the bottom of the list in 1P/Mac. I think I'll go with it unless I discover that it breaks 1P/Win, 1P/Palm (which I still use), 1P/iOS, or 1PasswordAnywhere. The ø works reasonably well visually, with a number of resonances (strike-out, the "NO" symbol, and the null set symbol) that are suggestive of the intended meaning.

Thanks for the suggestion, Guffee. It definitely advances the ball.

But if I had my choice of non-ASCII characters I'd still prefer †, and I'd also be quite content with ~, which has the not-insignificant virtue of being a standard ASCII character, if only it would sort to the bottom.

—Ben F
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    We're using standard OS X sorting. You may have better luck asking Apple to change this in OS X. Well, maybe not, but I don't see us using custom sorting for any reason in the future. Hopefully you can make do. I think a better suggestion is an "Archive" folder which takes items "out of play" without removing them (or "storing" them in the trash as a workaround). :)

I'll mention this to the developers.
This discussion has been closed.