Software Feedback, Emailing Notes, Multi-field Logins

I've been watching 1password for a while now, it sitting quite happily in my "to buy" list - I took the plunge a couple of hours ago and am delighted with the software both of the formats I've tried - the Windows and iOS clients.

I previously used something called KeePass, which seems to have had a strong influence on the creation of the 1Password Windows software - your team have done an excellent job making a much more modern, user friendly take on the password safe, and for that I applaud you! The iOS application (and integration via dropbox) is superb as well; I originally wasn't too sure how the software would go about 'injecting' the login data, but the integrated browser answered that question.

I think I'll be making use of the iOS client from now on in order to save notes - the automatic sync between desktop and iOS clients actually makes it far easier to synchronise my notes than using the built in "Notes" application, so bonus points there. That, and the fact that the client functions without a network connection is a nice touch as well, although obviously a given, since I'm synchronising using Dropbox.

I've a feature request: the ability to email notes from within the client. The automatic syncing means that getting the notes to my desktop and laptop is not a problem (I used to have to email them to myself), but I very frequently have to make lists of electrical parts and similar that I send to clients, via email.

I'm also a bit curious as to what happens if AgileBits goes under (perish the thought!) - the software seems fairly self-sufficient in regards to managing user data, but what about activation of the software to upgrade it from the trial to registered version? Should the worst happen, would any trial versions out in the wild automatically be given an indefinite trial period, or similar?

OK, now on to my comments regarding Multi-field Logins. I'm registered on a medical website that requires me to enter 3 pieces of information in order to login; my Practice ID, my Access ID and my password. 1Password seems to see both the Practice ID and Access ID as a single username. I've already learnt how to customise the saved data for a Login (thank you so much, giving the user that level of control in software like this is a very big deal!) but I can't work out any way to tell 1Password how to handle multiple "username" fields, such as in the scenario mentioned above. Is this something the software is capable of handling? If not, could your team please consider adding support for it? This isn't the first government website I've came across that makes use of tri-part (or even quad, in the case of a few public-access military sites I've had to work with in the past) logins in this fashion!

Your team has done an exceptional job thus far, keep up the good work!

Kind Regards,
"Mineral"

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2012
    Welcome to the forums, Mineral! Thanks for using 1Password and for your kind words. :D

I'll pass your request for emailing notes along to the developers.

1Password handles multiple form fields with aplomb. We always recommend creating Login items from within the browser. When you create Login items in the browser 1Password will automatically detect the Login information and prompt you to save it. All fields will be saved. If you are having trouble, you can also manually save a Login.

1. Enter your credentials, but DO NOT submit the form. (The number of fields should not make a difference to 1Password.)
    2. Click the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar, and select the "+" button in the upper right hand corner.
    3. Change the title and make any notes (if desired).
    4. Click the Save button in the upper right hand corner.

Using the above technique I was able to save and fill a sample login at:

https://patient.emis...k/Account/Login

Manually saving a login can be useful for logins that are either problematic to begin with or were once working but have since stopped. Doing this allows 1Password to refresh everything it "knows" about the page. Login pages often change as websites are updated and this can be a necessary but very useful tip. :)

If you are still having trouble, please try disabling autosubmit for that Login and let me know if that resolves the issue. Since I don't have an account there,I was not able to verify autosubmit for the form.
    20111213-br4s3yshka286wsaxr16ty49ex.png
    I hope that helps. Please let me know.
  • khad wrote:

1Password handles multiple form fields with aplomb. We always recommend creating Login items from within the browser. When you create Login items in the browser 1Password will automatically detect the Login information and prompt you to save it. All fields will be saved. If you are having trouble, you can also manually save a Login.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Aha! That worked flawlessly - I wasn't aware that logins could be created without actually submitting the data, so knowing of that little "+" at the top right is going to be a great help!

You've addressed pretty much everything bar the "is there a Plan B" section of my post:

Mineral wrote:

I'm also a bit curious as to what happens if AgileBits goes under (perish the thought!) - the software seems fairly self-sufficient in regards to managing user data, but what about activation of the software to upgrade it from the trial to registered version? Should the worst happen, would any trial versions out in the wild automatically be given an indefinite trial period, or similar?

Not to push the issue, but I'm legitimately curious as what would happen in such a scenario! It would be comforting to know that the company has a plan in place should this happen that takes the customers into account.

I do have another question though - in the Windows client, is there any way to make or edit input templates? (mostly for localisation purposes)

As it stands I have to use the "Notes" field in the bank account entry for the majority of my details (everything except the account number) - American banks seem to do things quite a bit differently from the glorious homeland of tea and crumpets! Hell, I only know that a "checking account" is a Current Account because I asked a friend about it!

Having to enter my NI and EU Insurance numbers under the 'social security number' template felt a bit odd, too! More nitpicking at this point, though! My OCD isn't showing, I hope! ;)

Thanks for your time so far, Khad! I very much appreciate it.

Kind Regards,
    "Mineral"
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    My apologies. I meant to address that in my previous post. I think it was getting late and I posted too soon. :)

If we had time to plan (and weren't just, say, abducted by aliens), it would be quite simple to release a version that doesn't require the activation server. :)

The good thing is that you can access your 1Password data in any modern browser via Dropbox (or directly from a USB flash drive) using the 1PasswordAnywhere feature independent of the application:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_Windows/onepasswordanywhere.html

Absolute worst case: export all your data to standard CSV. You can do whatever you want with it.

I do have another question though - in the Windows client, is there any way to make or edit input templates? (mostly for localisation purposes)

Custom templates are much-requested. I don't have a time frame for a specific release, but they are definitely on our radar.

American banks seem to do things quite a bit differently from the glorious homeland of tea and crumpets! Hell, I only know that a "checking account" is a Current Account because I asked a friend about it!

We are actually an Canadian company with employees from L.A. to the U.K. (Our Windows developer is actually Dutch.) The vast majority of our customers are from the States, but we are always looking to improve, and I think this is an area in which we still have some room for growth.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Having to enter my NI and EU Insurance numbers under the 'social security number' template felt a bit odd, too! More nitpicking at this point, though! My OCD isn't showing, I hope! [/font] ;)

I use the "Membership" Wallet item for my own insurance information, but you may find that the American SSN template works as well or better for your own purposes. :)

Cheers,
  • Thanks for that, Khad! I wasn't aware of the 1PasswordAnywhere function; a very good idea! :)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    It is always a pleasure to see the reactions of folks when they first find out about 1PasswordAnywhere. I don't use it too much myself, but when I need it, I really need it. :lol: Saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

Enjoy the rest of your week!
This discussion has been closed.