A second password field?

Tran
Tran
Community Member
edited May 2012 in 1Password 4 for Windows
Is there a way to add a second password field that includes the Copy to Clipboard and Auto-Type buttons?

The log in page has three fields:
  • Username
  • Password
  • Access code.

I can use Auto-Type and Copy to Clipboard buttons for the username and password.

I created a field for the access code, but I don't see the Auto-Type or Copy to Clipboard buttons (see attachment).

There's a Copy to Clipboard button (see attachment, red circle) below the access code field. But it doesn't appear to copy anything?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for reporting this, Tran. I don't think that button is "supposed to" be there, so that is why it doesn't work. However, I think it would be handy if 1Password did include such a feature for fields other than "username" and "password." I'll pass this along to the developers. :)

That said, is there a reason you are using auto-type and/or copying the information to the clipboard rather than just using the browser extension to fill the Login on the web page? I'd love to get that resolved if you are having trouble in that regard.

Thanks!
  • Tran
    Tran
    Community Member
    edited May 2012
    Thanks for passing it on, Khad.

In regards to your second paragraph, no issues are present. It's my personal preference. I rather type my 30 character password once than twice in both the browser extension and 1Password. Using 1Password, I can also access my secure notes. In addition, I use the main software because:
    • It has a virtual keyboard
    • My browser may run in a sandbox (I use Sandboxie). This creates an invisible protective layer between the browser and hard drive. The browser extension may not be able to read 1Password files in my local Dropbox folder while the browser is in a sandbox. I get syncing errors. But I'm still testing this.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I rather type my 30 character password once than twice in both the browser extension and 1Password.

Enable "Universal Unlock" in the Safari/Firefox/Chrome extension security settings and "Keep 1Password extension unlocked when Internet Explorer is closed" in 1Password's preferences on the IE tab.
  • Tabris25
    Tabris25
    Community Member

Did anything come of this? This feature is available in my ipad but not my Windows desktop. very infuriating when i have lots of fields i like to keep encrypted but need regular access too.

However, I think it would be handy if 1Password did include such a feature for fields other than "username" and "password." I'll pass this along to the developers. :)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @Tabris25.

I haven't heard of plans to add a Copy button to additional fields, but you should be copy the value of any field to the Clipboard by selecting the value string and pressing Ctrl+C.

I hope that helps.

• Tabris25
    Tabris25
    Community Member

So here is the Issue as i see it. A single server Instance can have both a console login and a service login and additional logins that are relevant to only that server.Having Multiple login records might be an option. in a standard server of mine i can have root login info, service account login info, and other data that is related to that one server. Several fields could be passwords or pins or some other field that would be good to generate. I could create a folder and place all the individual logins for a given server in that folder but keeping all of one server's info in its login record would be easier. as i see it its just a matter of adding 2 buttons the copy / generate buttons to any and all fields that could be passwords.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

1Password 4 for Windows, currently in beta development, includes the ability to create custom fields in your Logins and other items. You can click a "copy" icon in the details view to copy the value of any of those custom fields (as well as the username and password fields, of course).

The 4.x extensions do not include the ability to copy the values of those custom fields, though. You have to go to the main program.

That said, you can sign up to join the beta family here, if you're interested: https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/winnewsletter.html

This discussion has been closed.