Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks so much for the vote, WimDS!
  • gyre
    gyre
    Community Member
    +1 for a fedora version. but then that's probably a multiple vote as I've posted in the past. I love 1password. I migrated from lastpass and then password agent before that. But as I do 90% of my work under fedora, I'm hamstrung by no Linux support.

:)
  • dav1d
    dav1d
    Community Member
    +1 for a Linux version.

What happened to the bookmaklet? Is it impossible to use it right now?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    The ability to generate "1Password Logins" bookmarklets was removed from 1Password for Mac more than six months ago in our ongoing effort to stay ahead with security:

http://blog.agilebits.com/2011/12/01/staying-ahead-with-security/

Thanks for the votes!
  • pyro
    pyro
    Community Member
    +1 for Linux client (running Ubuntu) and without 1password. My license is going to waste. :(

1Password on Wine just isn't as good as the real thing. :)

Cheers,
    Grant
  • +1 from me! I run ubuntu 64, and would love to use 1password. :-)
  • I would like to add a very emphatic +1 for Linux browser extensions.

I own multiple 1Password licenses (v2 & v3, Mac & Linux) as well as the Pro version of the iOS app, and I use the Android reader too.
    It's fair to say that 1Password is a big part of my digital life, and has been for quite a long time now, so thanks for that Agile Bits :)

After years of passive support for the principles of Linux, I have finally decided to invest time and money in making a concerted effort to switch over.
    I have bought a 2nd laptop, installed the latest Ubuntu 64 bit, and I'm slowly working through my most used apps trying to either get them running, or failing that to find alternatives.

I've got the Windows version of 1Password running fine under Wine, but of course I am sorely missing the browser extensions.

I totally understand that building and maintaining a full-blown Linux version of the app might not seem worthwhile right now, but if you could get a browser extension working (I would happily pay for one) then you might find that you have more potential Linux customers than you thought.

I have to say from my own ongoing experience that the lack of support for cornerstone apps like 1Password and Evernote really makes it hard for people to migrate to Linux.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2012
    Thanks for letting us know, mort8104! There are some technical and financial challenges to supporting Linux, but it is possible that standalone browser extensions may run in browsers on Linux one day. That said, we've always believed in trying to be as honest and realistic with our users as possible rather than making lots of empty promises.

I'm sorry I can't give you a more positive answer right now, but thank you so much for letting us know that you would find this useful. We do take the number of users who request a feature into consideration when we decide on our feature lists.

Enjoy the rest of your week!
  • kauschovar
    kauschovar
    Community Member
    +1

bswins wrote:

We've added you to the list of users desiring the app.

As long as you're keeping an interest list, would you mind adding me to it? I'd like to be notified when a Linux client becomes available. It's currently too cumbersome to add new entries or edit existing entries from Linux.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, kauschovar! I've passed your vote along to the developers. :D
  • mort8104
    edited July 2012
    Hi fellow Linux sufferers,

I got frustrated enough with the lack of in-browser support to go looking for other alternatives to 1password.

LastPass sounds too dodgy because they keep your "keychain" in the cloud, but KeePass 2 appears to be a viable open source equivalent to 1password.

I got it running under Linux Mint without any problems, installed the PassIFox addon in Firefox, and finally got the KeePassHttp connector running using this guide:
    http://robertmassaio...ia-keepasshttp/

NOTE: in order for the http connector and the Firefox plugin to work, you need to have KeePass running! None of the guides I found mentioned that :)

You can also import your passwords from 1password into KeePass, but I had issues using the exporter from the Windows version of 1password, so I found this PHP script that should help (not yet tested):
    http://forrst.com/po..._to_KeePass-0uG

Alternatively, you could try exporting them from 1password for Mac, or possibly the 1password Pro iPad app which the KeePass site seems to suggest is possible:
    http://keepass.info/...html#imp_1pwpro

So, my plan for now is to duplicate any new credentials I create using KeePass to 1password manually via Wine, but if KeePass ends up being a workable solution (seems good so far) I might just dump 1password altogether. I imagine that the drag of having to maintain 2 separate password repositories will force me to do this sooner rather than later.

I really do hope that the Agile team can give us some standalone Firefox & Chrome plugins soon. It would be a real shame if I have to desert an otherwise superb suite of applications (that I have invested considerable amounts of cash in) due to lack of Linux support. I'm not going to hold my breath though - this thread has been in existance a long time, and despite swift responses from Agile staff, there is still no sign of any light at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck all, and I hope the info above helps some of you out.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2012
    I'm sorry that 1Password is not meeting your needs at this time, mort8104.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We have the best customers on the planet, and I am reminded of it time after time. You obviously care enough to share your information with others. Thank you for your passion! I wish more folks in this world shared it. [/font] :)

You can export your 1Password for Mac data to a standard CSV file at any time. We prefer to get (and keep) customers honestly rather than through artificial lock-in.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We deeply appreciate customer input and take requests into account constantly. Offhand, I know that we responded to direct customer feedback with regard to the size of the browser extension, updating the legacy Leopard app, the timing of the update checks in the main application, Growl support, and much more.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I may even use the Linux support myself, but we have always preferred to let the software speak for itself rather than trying to lure people in with promises of future features. In fact, I'd never encourage anyone to purchase 1Password (or any product) based on claims of future features. On the contrary, I would advise you and others to always use the tool that meets your needs as best as possible [/font]today[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]. If that's not 1Password for you at this time, then we will keep working hard in the hopes that one day it is.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with. I have already passed your vote for this along to the developers and would be happy to pass any additional feedback to them as well.[/font]

Cheers,
  • Thanks Khad.

You guys are awesome too.
    I can honestly say that my experience with Agile & 1password has been extraordinary. You guys make beautiful software and back it up with incredible support.

I will hold off swapping as long that as possible in the hope that you guys come through with some kind of solution for us, and if I do swap I'll keep an eye on this thread ready to come back as soon as Linux support arrives :)

Jim
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks so much for the kind words. I'll be sharing them with the rest of the team. If I have anything to announce in this regard, you can be sure that I will be posting it here! :)
  • Hi!! I've read the entire post, and I want to add my +1 for the Linux version (Ubuntu in my case). How many votes have you got already? Please, I want to eradicate lastpass from my life. I use it ONLY because I need it on Linux. It is ugly and does not work that well. And it drives me crazy keeping lastpass in sync with my 1Password additions. Yes, I'm a OS X and iOS 1Password customer.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!! We ALL need it!! And it is true, today it's not that hard to implement something for Linux in all major distributions. And that, my friends, would not only keep your current customers happier than ever, but it would also bring you a lot of new customers that are using crappy software just because there is nothing better for Linux. 1Password is way ahead in quality over the competition, and I'm a Software Engineer, so it's not just 'another opinion'.

At least some kind of Chrome + Firefox extension that could load the Dropbox agile keychain!

I think it's time... at least before we all die at the end of 2012!! (giggle)

Keep up the gorgeous and great job.
    Cheers
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Luciano! And thanks for the kind words. :D

We don't normally pre-announce products or features, but if we have anything to announce you can be sure I will post about it here and it will also be on our blog. We appreciate you letting us know you'd be interested in a better 1Password solution Linux beyond the existing 1PasswordAnywhere feature and running 1Password for Windows under WINE.

I think it's time... at least before we all die at the end of 2012!!

Hopefully the Mayans were wrong, eh? :)
  • Yes! Please, please, please, +1 to that! 1Passoword rocks! Thanks!

o/
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for your kind words and vote, Fernando! Welcome to the forums. :D
  • + 1 for the Linux version from me as well (y)
  • poyntesm
    poyntesm
    Community Member
    Another +1 for Linux - i would like Ubuntu, CentOS, SuSE, RHEL, OEL :-) Guess chances of me seeing it on AIX, HPUX or Solaris are very slim though :)
  • moleculezz
    moleculezz
    Community Member

Really interested in linux support. Count me in for a vote!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks so much for your feedback. I will pass your vote along. :)

• MikeMcFarlane
    MikeMcFarlane
    Community Member
    edited January 2013

+1 from me too.

Windows is Windows and we will probably always have it, and OS X has sufficient market share to ensure it's longevity, but for me, the writing is on the wall for OS X. It's lost direction and has an increasing list of bugs and irritations in the UX. This is a personal view and if OS X still does it for you that is great. I still love it, but am looking for a change now. And there are only really two apps which keep me on OS X - Things and 1Password. Nearly everything else I use is cross platform. They are both such great apps, and whilst there are many quality alternatives, none of them do it for me. Just my 2c.

I'm on Debian based CrunchBang.

Regarding the above comment about it being a 'browser extension', rather than a 'native app'. How does the security of two options compare?

• Hi Mike,

The encryption/decryption and many other security processes are identical, they're just re-implemented in Javascript, which makes it much slower than the native app but just as strong. The browsers are getting better at the speed of javascript and they'll keep improving it over the next several years as it becomes a very important tool for many web services and encryption will be a part of that.

The extensions themselves are sandboxed by the browsers, so website itself can't see it directly. What we do is inject a script into the site to do the auto-save/auto-fill but no data are stored within this script.

The features (not related to security) are further restricted by the browser's APIs, so it can't be as fully featured as the native app and likely will never be.

If you're curious about how it's done, you can take look at the source code of the 1PasswordAnywhere file and see what we did. I'll add to our list to write about the technologies we use in our extensions.

Thanks!

• MikeMcFarlane
    MikeMcFarlane
    Community Member

Hi MikeT

That's interesting, I understand better now. Thanks.

• Hi Mike,

You're welcome, keep the questions coming if you have it.

• koloman
    koloman
    Community Member

Definitely +1 here!

Assuming you wrote the windows version in C# I would say the best shot on porting to Linux would be to use the mono CLR. But only if you used WinForms and did'nt go for the new WPF stuff. As far as I know the mono dev team already stated that WPF is probably something they will never add to the mono APIs.

Ok, I guess I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. Just saying, 1Password is the only thing that keeps me on the OSX platform. Seriously.

• Hi @koloman,

Thanks for the vote, we always appreciate it!

1Password isn't developed in .Net, our Windows development team uses Delphi to code most of the app. Each 1Password app is developed specifically for the native platform by its own development team, not via any cross-platform technologies that could be ported easily to Linux. If we start developing for Linux (not a promise of any kinds here), we would be using native languages and technologies with our own Linux team. We believe in building native apps, not ports.

Although, we did built simple reader apps for Android and Windows Phone apps that shares a common code base, of which we do plan to replace both with native ones in the future.

Right now, many of our Linux folks uses the WINE emulator to keep 1Password running on Linux but without the benefits of the browser extensions. We honestly do want to have a native one, so WINE isn't needed but I don't know when we might do this.

• moleculezz
    moleculezz
    Community Member

We moved to LastPass Enterprise for our business.
    They have managed to make a browser add-on that works on all platforms, and with the added benefit of sharing passwords with other users.

I hope 1Password can achieve this one day. I certainly like it better in certain aspects. But for now we had to move to LastPass.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for following up on this, @moleculezz. We think that one of 1Password's strengths is that it is not a cloud hosted service like some other options, so your data is never stored on our servers. Your data is yours, and you can maintain complete control over it. That does mean cross-platform efforts require more work and sharing isn't as simple as just "granting access" to another user on the server, but these things are certainly not insurmountable. We'll continue to work hard to make 1Password the best password manager on the planet for you.

This discussion has been closed.