problem syncing new iPad

thebbikins
thebbikins
Community Member
Just purchased iPassword app for iPad. I already use it on a Mac and a PC. (Had some qualms about whether or not to go with the Pro version or not, but read up on it and decided that if I ever finally get a smart phone, another $6.99 won't kill me. But I digress.)

I followed the instructions that came up on the iPad app about setting up wirelessly. Went to my Mac. Saw the "secret codes" to be entered at some point in a process that required me first to find my device under "sync." I looked. Dropbox is there. The device (my iPad) does not show up.

As the help file suggested, I re-started iPassword. This time I also connected my iPad to my Mac, perhaps out of superstition. Still doesn't show up.

Went back to the interface on my iPad and by mistake touched something that instructed iPassword to treat the set-up as if I were creating a brand new iPassword account, which I obviously have no wish to do. Now what? --That is, how do I get back to the option to sync?

And how do I get my iPad to show up in the "Sync" part of the side panel of iPassword in my Mac?

HELP, please.

Thanks!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Sorry that you're having trouble getting syncing set up on your iPad. Dropbox is the recommended method of syncing and does not require you to enter any secret codes.

If you're installing 1Password for the first time on your iOS device, you will need to tap "New Database" on the welcome screen rather than "Sync Existing" (as that is only for the older Wi-Fi syncing method which requires you to manually sync). It is not automatic like Dropbox syncing. For this and other reasons we recommend Dropbox syncing.

Since you already have Dropbox syncing setup and working between 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows, setting it up in 1Password for iPad is pretty simple.

1. Tap "New Database" on the welcome screen.
    2. Tap Settings > Sync > Dropbox and turn it ON.
    3. Follow the onscreen prompts to log into your Dropbox account and begin syncing.

If you're stuck at any point, please let me know which step you're having some trouble with. I'd be happy to provide further assistance. :)

Cheers,
  • thebbikins
    thebbikins
    Community Member
    Thanks for your help. I thought I was going to get an e-mail notification--I only just got this today though you posted it yesterday. I guess there are a lot of things I don't understand about the digital world.

Everything worked like a charm. I would like to suggest, though, that you update the instructions that come up in 1Password Help for Mac (and, I would presume, for PC). There is only one hit for iPad, and when I click on it it first redirects me to a new page, and that new page gives me the instructions for manual syncing.

Is there some way I was supposed to know, after downloading the app, that I should follow the steps you outlined above? I'm guessing not--and so I would suggest providing them.

Thanks--
    Beth
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hey Beth,

Thanks for writing back. You're not following this topic, so you won't receive email notifications. To follow the topic, you'll need to click the "Follow this topic" button at the top of the page. This is not enabled by default so that people who post a lot aren't overwhelmed by the email notifications from every topic in which they have ever posted. :)

I'm not sure what you clicked on or where, but here is a link to the Dropbox sync instructions in the User Guide:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_syncing_with_dropbox.html

We're working on improving both the app and the documentation. If we can be of further assistance in the meantime, please let us know. We are always here to help!
This discussion has been closed.