1Password iPhone/iPad edits entries after downloading from Dropbox and re-uploads them

Tezcatlipoca
Tezcatlipoca
Community Member
edited July 2012 in iOS
Hi,

There's something about the 1Password Dropbox sync that I have been curious about for a while:

If I create/edit an entry in 1Password on my computer, the Dropbox client uploads it to the cloud and then 1Password on my iPhone/iPad downloads the new/edited entry when I run the app.

All is well. But...

If I then run the sync again on the iPhone/iPad (or close and re-open the app), that new/edited entry - created/edited on my computer - then gets sent *back* to the cloud by 1Password on my iPhone/iPad, and then gets re-downloaded to my computer.

So, my question is: What does the iOS app do to the new/edited entry that was actually created/edited on the desktop 1Password? Why does it change it and send it back?

Cheers! :)

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Good question. Unfortunately, I can't reproduce anything like that. I just created a test item in 1Password for Mac and it synced to Dropbox. Then I opened 1Password on my iPad to confirm the item there.

The only Dropbox events listed are from my Mac. Item is added and edited once saved. This is all from 1Password for Mac.

20120710-nyk88iejkydy7q56e531sn6nwa.png
  • Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Community Member
    Interesting.

I can actually watch it doing it: Open 1Password on the iPhone, navigate to the Dropbox sync section, watch it perform the initial sync and download the various updates. If I then manually hit Sync, I can then see it sending them back out, while on my PC (which will be replaced with an iMac soon if Apple would hurry up with the 2012 models! ;) ) I then see them being downloaded again.

Could it be something to do with the desktop keychain being an older format, or something, with entries being "upgraded" by the iOS app when it receives them? :unsure:
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    There is only one format, so I'm not sure what could be happening in your case. :S

I've been trying and trying to reproduce this, but I am not able to. What versions of 1Password are you using in Windows and iOS? Try resetting Dropbox as described in the locked thread pinned at the top of this forum:

http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php?/topic/10167-troubleshooting-dropbox-syncing/
  • Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Community Member
    1Password for Windows: 1.0.9.296 (latest)

1Password Pro for iOS: 3.6.5 (latest)

It has happened with earlier versions, and on different devices.

I'm fairly sure it has happened with my iPad, but I'm not 100% sure as I use 1Password more on my iPhone.

I can't remember when I first noticed it, but it was a while back.

I started using 1Password back when I got my iPad 2 last April, as I wanted to sync passwords between that & my phone (iPhone 4 at the time), and then additionally my PC. I've since upgraded to an iPhone 4S last November and an iPad 3 this past March. Both were set up by restoring the last iTunes backups of the devices they were replacing, the iPhone 4 and the iPad 2, rather than as totally new devices.

I've never done a Repair on the Windows version, but I have previously Reset the syncing on the iPhone and iPad after changing my Dropbox password and unlinking / re-linking.

I can't actually try a device Reset at the moment as I'm in the middle of a mass password-changing binge, and have yet to re-link the iPhone and iPad's 1Password to Dropbox (both were unlinked via the app and via the Dropbox website as I also changed my Dropbox password again and wanted to set up the sync fresh).

I could try the Windows Repair at least, though, and see how things are once I have re-linked the devices. What does Repair do on the Windows version?

What made me first notice this behaviour was seeing Dropbox on my PC download entries that I (as far as I was aware) had not edited. Understandably, it freaked me out at first! I then realised that the date/time-stamps coincided with opening 1Password on my iPhone, so I started quickly navigating to the Dropbox settings on that each time I opened it, to see if I could "catch it in the act". It would do the initial sync, and download new/edited entries, and if I then manually synced again (or closed and re-opened the app) I would see it sending the entries back out to Dropbox, and see my PC then download them again.

I thought it must have been normal, or some sort of harmless quirk, but now you have me worrying... (sweat)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I don't think there is anything to worry about. It's just curious behavior, and it is interesting that I can't reproduce it.

I can't actually try a device Reset at the moment as I'm in the middle of a mass password-changing binge, and have yet to re-link the iPhone and iPad's 1Password to Dropbox (both were unlinked via the app and via the Dropbox website as I also changed my Dropbox password again and wanted to set up the sync fresh).

I think this may be the source of the issue. If you stop syncing the devices. It is possible that changes you made need to be reflected in both apps. Please make sure that Dropbox syncing is enabled on all your devices, everything is up to date, and then try creating a new Login item in 1Password for Windows. Open 1Password on your iPhone, and wait for it to sync the item.

Can you take a screenshot of the Dropbox events (like I posted above), so I can see what is happening in your case? The desktop app created all those events shown in my screenshot above. 1Password makes many quick reads and writes when you use it, so I wouldn't worry about it, but you do have me curious to see the Dropbox events.
  • Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Community Member
    I'll give that a go :)

As for stopping syncing, the current "unlink & stop" is recent, but this behaviour has been ongoing for a while now.

I'll try what you say once I've finished my changes. I don't want to get the syncing back up and running until after that because this issue would stop me from knowing which passwords still need changing (as the iPhone would send everything back and I'd lose my date/time).
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Take your time. I'll be here whenever you are ready. ;)
This discussion has been closed.