Password Strength

May I ask why does the safari plug-in shows a different strength level for the same password when comparing it to the MAS version? Which one should I trust? It is a pretty big difference...

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    As far as I know, the only strength meter in the extension is in the generator. Is that what you are referring to? Are you comparing that to the one in the generator in the main application? Could you give me an example of a password that shows two different strengths in each meter? It is only meant as a guideline, but I'd love to investigate this for you.

Cheers,
  • Cloaky
    Cloaky
    Community Member
    edited July 2012
    Sure, here you are one example!

2ugymtx.png2uiahyr.png
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Yeah, I just confirmed with the developers. They are different algorithms. To play it safe, just go by the lower value. I believe the algorithm in the browser extension has a few "tweaks" to improve it.

In general, just use the longest password you can for every site. The longer the better, and length is more important than "complexity". All of my passwords are 50 characters except where prohibited by the site.

We're working to harmonize these in an update. If we can be of further assistance in the meantime, please let us know. We are always here to help!
This discussion has been closed.