Need to "Add" a Mac License

Kknight78
Kknight78
Community Member
edited July 2012 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
I own a license for 1Password for Windows and another for 1Password Pro for iPhone/iPad. I've recently acquired a MacBook, so I now need a Mac license. My question is if I "upgrade" my Windows license to Mac, will the Mac license replace my Windows license? Or will I still get to keep the Windows license? Do I have to upgrade to the Mac+Windows to keep both? There's a price difference between the two "upgrade" choices, so that's why I'm asking...if the $35 "upgrade" to a Mac license doesn't negate my Windows license, then that is the better choice than the $42 "upgrade" to the Mac+Windows license. I wish I could just pay the $20 difference between Windows and Mac+Windows to upgrade (especially since I just purchased the Windows license a month and a half ago), but I don't see an option for that.

Thanks!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Kknight78! Your best bet is to purchase 1Password for Mac on the Mac App Store since it comes with a free upgrade to version 4 when it is available. Just like the iTunes App Store, Apple does not permit licenses to be transferred into or out of the Mac App Store, so your existing licenses for other platforms will not be affected in any way.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
  • Kknight78
    Kknight78
    Community Member
    Thanks for the reply Khad. If I'm going to have to spend another $50 to get it on the Mac, I'm wondering if I'm better to just wait for 4.0 and then upgrade to the Mac+Windows at that time so that both of them get upgraded for that price? I can get by for a while without 1Password on the Mac, especially since it's not my primary computer.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    You can certainly take advantage of the 1PasswordAnywhere feature built in to your data file for now:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/1passwordanywhere.html

I'm not sure that waiting would bring any benefit, though. If you purchase now you get to use 1Password for Mac immediately and a free upgrade to version 4 when it is released. If you wait — well, you have to wait and you aren't really saving any money by waiting.

What you definitely do not need is a Mac+Windows bundle since you already have a Windows license. If you did that you would be effectively paying for a Windows license twice. :)

I hope that helps you make an informed decision. Let me know if you still have more questions.
  • Kknight78
    Kknight78
    Community Member
    Sorry Khad, I guess I'm still slightly confused then. I understand what you are saying about the Mac+Windows bundle...and I guess that answers my question about the Mac Upgrade (I assume that if I were to "upgrade" my Windows license to a Mac license for $34.99, I'd then have both Windows and Mac licenses...I wouldn't lose the Windows license...but that's a moot point if the rest of my understanding is correct.) If I have to spend the full price of $49.99 in the Mac Store (even though I get a free upgrade to v.4 with that route), then IMO, I'm better off getting by with 1Password Anywhere on the Mac for now, waiting for Mac v.4 and Windows v.2 to come out and then at that point upgrade to the Mac + Windows Bundle for $41.99 (assuming the current upgrade price stays the same), which I assume would get me upgraded to the new software on BOTH Windows and Mac. By contrast, if I pay $49.99 now, I get Mac v.4 when it comes out, but I then have to spend more (probably another $35 more) to upgrade to Windows v.2 when it comes out. That is far more expensive than just waiting and buying the upgraded bundle whenever the new versions come out (even if the bundle upgrade is more than $41.99, going the Mac Store + Windows upgrade route is $85). Am I understanding everything correctly?

Thanks again for your help,
    Ron
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I think you may be making this more complicated than it is, but I want to make sure you know one assumption I have been operating under.

Nothing is set in stone, but 1Password 4 may be exclusive to the MAS. If that is the case, you will not be able to purchase 1Password 4 in the AgileBits store. So whatever you purchase now, you would need to purchase 1Password on the MAS later — adding to the cost. That's why we recommend purchasing 1Password on the MAS. It comes with a free upgrade to version 4 and you get to start using version 3 immediately.

I have no details on on any future version of 1Password for Windows at this time, but we have always offered discounts on Windows licenses (and upgrades) for existing customers.
  • Kknight78
    Kknight78
    Community Member
    Thanks for the clarification. It would be unfortunate (from the consumer's perspective) if 1Password 4 indeed ends up being an MAS exclusive. That raises the prices pretty substantially for multi-platform users. I guess I will wait for now and see what happens whenever the new versions come out and then make the jump at that time. Thanks again :-)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2012
    While Apple doesn't allow developers to offer discounts on the MAS, as I mentioned above, we have always offered discounts on Windows licenses in our own store for users who need to use both platforms. Depending on your usage, it can actually be much cheaper to purchase 1Password on the Mac App Store and get a discounted Windows license.

One of the great things about the Mac App Store is the licensing terms. They permit you to install apps (using the same Apple ID) on all your personal Macs. I can't think of a case offhand where the MAS terms would be any less permissive than our own Family License, thus saving a good chunk of change.

There are many different scenarios, though, so it is possible that it may end up being slightly more expensive in some cases, but we have tried to be as fair as possible while still having a sustainable business model.

Please do let me know if you ever have any questions. Enjoy the rest of your week!
  • Kknight78
    Kknight78
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

...we have always offered discounts on Windows licenses in our own store for users who need to use both platforms. Depending on your usage, it can actually be much cheaper to purchase 1Password on the Mac App Store and get a discounted Windows license.

How does that work though? On the Agile Store, you can get the Mac + Windows Bundle for $70, so I see your point when going that route...and I agree that that is a very reasonable price for a multi-platform license that can be used on multiple computers. However, If you buy the Mac version from the MAS at $50 and then you also need a Windows license, don't you need a single user Windows license for another $50? Unless I'm missing it, I don't see an option that indicates where to go for a discounted Windows license if you already own a Mac license. Even if you allow upgrade pricing to add that Windows license, it is $35, which brings the total to $85 compared to the bundle price of $70. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see any scenario where that route is cheaper than the Mac+Windows bundle.

I know I'm quibbling over a relatively small amount of money and I'm not saying (AT ALL) that your software isn't worth it...I love 1Password and want it (and am willing to pay for it) on all my devices! I'm also a business owner and understand very well the realities of needing a viable and sustainable business model...so none of this is about me thinking that you need to be giving things away or feeling that I'm entitled to run your software on all my devices for $50 or anything like that. With that said, in order to take advantage of the MAS while still keeping things reasonable for the consumer and somewhat in-line with the current bundle offers, this would be the ideal situation in my mind:

Add some options to the bundle section in the Agile store. Add one that says "Already own 1Password for Mac from the MAS? Click here to bundle a Windows license for $20." That would keep a Mac+Windows bundle price the same as the current $70...though I'd even view $25 or $30 (bringing the "bundle" total to $75 or $80) as reasonable to help slightly offset Apple's cut in the MAS. Even better would be an "All Platform Bundle"...for $85-$95, you would get a Windows license, a redemption code to download 1Pass for Mac in the MAS, and another redemption code to download 1Pass for iOS in the App Store. Of course, none of these options would help my current situation (where I already own a Windows licenses and an iOS 1Password Pro license and need to add a Mac license), but I think they would be helpful options to offer nonetheless.

Just some food for thought. Thanks again for your time :-)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2012
    How does that work though? On the Agile Store, you can get the Mac + Windows Bundle for $70, so I see your point when going that route...and I agree that that is a very reasonable price for a multi-platform license that can be used on multiple computers. However, If you buy the Mac version from the MAS at $50 and then you also need a Windows license, don't you need a single user Windows license for another $50? Unless I'm missing it, I don't see an option that indicates where to go for a discounted Windows license if you already own a Mac license.

We request a copy of your MAS receipt to verify your purchase and then provide a special discount on 1Password for Windows. There is not a direct link on the AgileBits store for this. Folks who already have a Mac license from the AgileBits store, you can just use the upgrade link and enter their license key to receive a discount on a Widows license. Other folks can send us a copy of their MAS receipt for a similar discount.

Even if you allow upgrade pricing to add that Windows license, it is $35, which brings the total to $85 compared to the bundle price of $70. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see any scenario where that route is cheaper than the Mac+Windows bundle.

Multiple users of 1Password for Mac in the same household. Family License: $69.99. MAS license: $49.99. Save $20. As I wrote above, the MAS licensing terms are every bit as permissive as our own Family License (if not more so).

Also, you are neglecting to factor in the $34.99 value of the free upgrade to version 4 that comes with all MAS purchases. Save $15 up front? Sure, but you'll then need to pay for the upgrade to version 4 later. At this time upgrades are $34.99, so you really aren't saving anything doing it that way.

…a redemption code to download 1Pass for Mac in the MAS, and another redemption code to download 1Pass for iOS in the App Store.

This has been suggested before, but it does not scale. Apple only provides developers a very small number of codes, and we can't request extras for the media, refunds, or even customer support.

Of course, none of these options would help my current situation (where I already own a Windows licenses and an iOS 1Password Pro license and need to add a Mac license), but I think they would be helpful options to offer nonetheless.

I've adjusted the price you paid for the Windows license to be more in line with the discount you would have received had you purchased 1Password for Mac on the MAS and requested a discount on the Windows license. You should see the funds show up in your account in a few days. I hope that helps. ;)

Cheers,
  • Kknight78
    Kknight78
    Community Member
    edited July 2012
    khad wrote:

We request a copy of your MAS receipt to verify your purchase and then provide a special discount on 1Password for Windows. There is not a direct link on the AgileBits store for this. Folks who already have a Mac license from the AgileBits store, you can just use the upgrade link and enter their license key to receive a discount on a Widows license. Other folks can send us a copy of their MAS receipt for a similar discount.

Multiple users of 1Password for Mac in the same household. Family License: $69.99. MAS license: $49.99. Save $20. As I wrote above, the MAS licensing terms are every bit as permissive as our own Family License (if not more so).

Also, you are neglecting to factor in the $34.99 value of the free upgrade to version 4 that comes with all MAS purchases. Save $15 up front? Sure, but you'll then need to pay for the upgrade to version 4 later. At this time upgrades are $34.99, so you really aren't saving anything doing it that way.

This has been suggested before, but it does not scale. Apple only provides developers a very small number of codes, and we can't request extras for the media, refunds, or even customer support.

This all makes sense...thank you for the explanations.

khad wrote:
    I've adjusted the price you paid for the Windows license to be more in line with the discount you would have received had you purchased 1Password for Mac on the MAS and requested a discount on the Windows license. You should see the funds show up in your account in a few days. I hope that helps. ;)

That was an unnecessary and unexpected (but much appreciated) gesture...thank you! It does indeed help and I will purchase my MAS copy shortly. :D
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Awesome! I'm glad I could help. I hope you enjoy 1Password for Mac!

If you have any other questions, you know where to find me. :D
  • Kknight78
    Kknight78
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Awesome! I'm glad I could help. I hope you enjoy 1Password for Mac!

If you have any other questions, you know where to find me. :D

Absolutely! I just got it downloaded a couple of hours ago. I'm sure I'll have questions. Thanks again! :D
This discussion has been closed.