Unable to install Firefox extension

I've been using 1Password with Internet Explorer and Google Chrome perfectly fine.

However, I cannot get the plugin to install into Firefox at all. I've even removed/reinstalled (and upgraded) FireFox as well as 1Password but I still get the following message:

Firefox (profile name: default) is running.
We cannot install our Firefox add-on while Firefox is running.
Please close the existing Firefox process, and try again.

There is no FireFox processes running that I can see, so what is going on? Can I force the plugin to install anyways?

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2011
    Bring up Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and then close as many applications/processes as possible, especially those named "Mozilla something".
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    ...and if all else fails, try restarting Windows and immediately launching 1Password and enabling the extension for Firefox.

Please let us know how it goes, sofakng!
  • Hi all,

I'm having trouble installing the Firefox extension on 1Password Windows 1.0.9.288. It also occurred on the update immediately before this one.

The problem is that when I load 1Password it tells me my Firefox extension needs updating and would I like to install it. I press "Yes" but it then tells me Firefox is running and the install can't continue until I close it. Trouble is it's not open (and I've checked in Task Manager). Interestingly, since this started happening an update was released. So this morning I had the above problem, I then checked for updates and saw I had an update to install - which I did. This installed with no problems - if Firefox was still open, the installation would have prompted me to close it too but it did not. After the installation, I reopened 1Password and got the same update your extension request. Clicking yes is still telling me Firefox is open though.

Any suggestions on what might be causing this and how I get round it? I can supply a diagnostic report from 1Password if this helps in any way.

Regards,
    Lee
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Lee. I'm sorry that you are having this problem.

It sounds like there may be a program on your system that is using an embedded version of Firefox or it is somehow still running on your machine. When you check in Task Manager, please be sure that "Show processes from all users" is enabled.

Does it help if you boot Windows while holding down the left Shift key and try to install the extension immediately after a fresh, clean boot?
  • Lee Theobald
    edited March 2012
    Hi Khad,

The left-shift restart has solved the issue. I didn't think there was anything that was running an embedded Firefox but obviously there was. I would have thought that would have stopped any installation/update of the main program too though. Oh well, it's all fixed.

Out of curiousity - what does that hold left-shift do? I hadn't heard of it before but it's done something.

Thank you very much for the help & thanks for the nice welcome too.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Holding the left Shift key during boot time should suppress all startup processes. Whatever was loading and "getting in the way" was not loaded when you did that. If you figure out what it was, please let me know. It could be useful for others who come across a similar problem. :)

Cheers,
  • mischul
    mischul
    Community Member
    On my Windows XP SP3 computer with 1Password 1.0.9.296, the 1Password icon does not appear in FireFox 13.0.1 and when I load the 1Password application, I get the messages:

"An important update to our Firefox Add-in is avail...." I click Yes
    "Moz Firefox is running. We cannot install our add-in....."

but FFx is not running. Even after a cold boot, the same thing happens.

Thanks for any help.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2012
    mischul, I merged your post with this existing thread for the same issue.

It sounds like some other program is loading a component of Firefox. Try holding down the LEFT SHIFT key while turning on your computer to prevent all third-party programs from loading when you start up. You should be able to install it then.

Let me know how it goes.
  • hnbock
    hnbock
    Community Member
    I am having the same problem. Restarting Windows and immediately launching 1Password does not help; I get the same error message even then.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I merged this thread with another one which contains the solution. As mentioned above, please try holding down the LEFT SHIFT key while turning on your computer to prevent all third-party programs from loading when you start up. You should be able to install it then.

Let me know how it goes.
This discussion has been closed.