Various assorted comments

bobson58
bobson58
Community Member
edited April 2012 in 1Password 4 for Windows
I apoligize for the length of this post.

I'm a pretty smart guy with software but this Windows version of product leaves me with doubt and frustration.

Quickly. I have a PC, iPad, iPod Touch and iPhone.

I purchased the windows version and the 1Password 3 which give me coverage of my mac devices.

I want to coordinate everything from my PC. That is where it becomes so frustrating. A video tutorial that goes screen by screen is impossible to find as everything is so general. I have no more idea about how to use this product now than six hours ago and I have read all the on-line tutorial information etc.

1. For example, I cannot get the 1P icon to appear on my Explorer 8.0 menu bar. That is, be visible next to Home or Page or something. It's in a pull down list but I can't get it from that list to be displayed.
2. Every time I go to a website to login it offers for me to use a 1Password. But at this point with no comfort, I feel I run the risk of having it encrypt and my not being able to get to certain sites unless I am on this PC. I just want to be able to use iPassword for a few sites that I don't often visit but that have passwords. Just to see it work. Just to then get the other Mac devices set up and see if I can sync via Dropbox and open those sites using 1Password on those other devices. Then, I also need to know what I need to do to have it work on my work PC as my passwords are a broad mix of work and personal.

I want the PC to be the initial device I use to set all my passwords and credit cards and account numbers and sotware licenses in. I don't want to do it on my iPad as I am not as comfortable with it. You know, something to help me, teach and test, just step by step. But there is not guidance to do that with my hour or so of searching youtube etc. Anyone have any ideas for the PC version, step by step, what I do, how I test that I understand, how I then move onto the next thing, all stuff that you've got to be comfortable with given the size of this adjustment. How to get the 1P icon to sit on the toolbar?

I even wanted to contact Agile to see if they had some type of online fee-based support just to get comfortable and traction. I hope someone can point me to some guidance or offer me direction so I can get the benefits I read others report.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2012
    Welcome to the forums, bobson58. Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble getting started.

1. It sounds like you just need to follow the steps in the User Guide to move the button to the location you desire:

http://help.agilebit...-1P-button.html

You can also uncheck "Lock the toolbars" to drag them around. Depending on your current layout, the button may be exactly where you want it just not visible because not enough of the toolbar is visible. Drag the toolbar to change this.

2. If you don't wish to be prompted to save every Login, you can disable autosave in 1Password's preferences on the "Logins" tab.

20120417-m88654a9ah9mapac4mxbt1upt8.png

Then you'll just need to manually save every Login you wish to store in 1Password. This is also in the User Guide:

http://help.agilebit...Login-item.html

If you are worried about being able to access your data when away from your PC, you certainly have the right idea by syncing across Mac, Windows, and your iOS devices. You can also access your data in any modern browser (even where you don't have 1Password installed) using the 1PasswordAnywhere feature built right into your data file:

http://help.agile.ws...rdanywhere.html

Lastly, you can contact us at AgileBits at any timefree of charge — here in these community forums or via our support site:

http://support.agilebits.com/

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
  • Leander2
    Leander2
    Community Member
    As another new Windows+iPhone+iPad user, I would have appreciated the following points of orientation from AgileBits in the User Manual:

1. "We originally designed 1Password for Mac users. While we hope and expect that our Windows product will someday become as good as the Mac version, currently the Windows version has fewer features and much poorer documentation than the Mac version. We're sorry we didn't tell you before you purchased, but hey, business is business! Get over it!"

2. "If you're just beginning to try to learn the concept of a password manager, here are some basic points regarding how they work, what problem they are trying to solve, and why it is beneficial to have one. Also, here's why we think 1Password Manager is better than the competition:"

3. "Here is a screenshot of what you see when you first open the program. We'd like to take you step-by-step through the various elements of what you see, giving names to the various sections and expaining why we thought this particular layout would be something you'd like."

4. "See the six different icons, big and colorful across the top, in an area we have a name for but we're not going to share it with you? You may be wondering which of the six to choose for any given piece of information you might want to store. The following is an explanation of how each icon differs from the other five, along with several examples for each."

5. "The following are features you might like to see in this program which are not here yet (for example: tags, a Search function that works). On the Support Forum you will find our target dates for providing these additional features."

Thank you,
    Leander2
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for the feedback, Leander2.

1. What features are you missing in the Windows version that are present in 1Password for Mac? I know there are actually some features that the Windows app has which are not present in the Mac app. The main one is the handy auto-type feature:

http://help.agilebit.../auto-type.html

If you let me know what features, perhaps I can offer some specific assistance.

2. We find it to be in poor taste to compare 1Password to competitors. We think its merits speak for themselves. The crux of the reason for using a password manager can be summed up in this great xkcd comic:

http://xkcd.com/792/

3. http://help.agilebit...troduction.html

4. I'll see how we can improve this. Thank you!

5. Ah, perhaps tags were one of the features you alluded to in number 1 above. Duly noted. Search works very well. If you need to search notes and passwords, please be sure to check the box to "Include notes and passwords…" Note that this will slow searching since the contents of each encrypted item must be decrypted rather than simply searching the metadata as a "normal" search does. We don't normally pre-announce products or features since it can be essentially impossible to give a realistic time estimation and we do not want to intentionally or unintentionally mislead anyone with dates that may shift or change due to unforeseen circumstances beyond our control.

Again, I really appreciate you taking the time. If you didn't care you wouldn't have bothered to post. Your care is deeply felt, and I hope 1Password and its documentation more thoroughly meet your needs as we improve them.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with!
  • Leander2
    Leander2
    Community Member
    Thank you for all your responses. Enjoyed the cartoon.

Leander2
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    It is my pleasure to help. For something a bit more eloquent than the xkcd comic, you might also be interested in this fantastic article by Troy Hunt:

The only secure password is the one you can’t remember

If you have any more questions or concerns, you know where to find me. :)
This discussion has been closed.