Firefox 14 - Window Focus

bobe
bobe
Community Member
Windows 7, Firefos 14.01, 1Password 3.9.5 and 1.0.9.296

This problem started after the upgrade to Firefox 14. Setup: open Firefox, open a second tab, drag the tab to form a new window, open any website, shift window focus back to the original Firefox window. Open a url that requires a login and use the keyboard shortcut to activate 1Password. The focus shifts to the second window and 1Password tries to enter the information there, not the window requiring the login.

This happens with multiple websites in either window. It does not happen if I use the 1Password icon to activate the login and tt does not happen with the keyboard shortcut in Chrome 20.

Bob

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thank you for reporting this, Bob. I see exactly what you mean. We will try to resolve this as soon as possible.

If we can be of further assistance in the meantime, please let us know. We are always here to help!
  • bobe
    bobe
    Community Member
    Thanks. Bob
  • bobe
    bobe
    Community Member
    Any word on fixing this? Bob
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Sorry for not updating the thread, Bob. This was fixed in the latest beta version of the extension last week. If you are eager to receive the fix, you can switch to the beta channel of the 1Password extension like this:

1. In 1Password's preferences click the button to install the Firefox extension on the Browsers tab
    2. Check the box to "Allow beta extensions"
    3. Click Download and follow the onscreen instructions

Otherwise, it will be included in the next stable release and Firefox will fetch the update for you automatically. :)

Please note that the extension beta channel is separate from the beta channel for the main 1Password application.

20120822-fc33eq1nwqn9mfhs827ikasmye.png
  • bobe
    bobe
    Community Member
    This seems to fix the problem, although Firefox crashed the first time I tried to enter the Master Password. After restarting Firefox, all is well.

On another minor issue, updating the extension always fails and says Firefox is running until I remember to aslo shut down Thunderbird. Can you add this to your list of things to do with a low priority.

Bob
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I'm glad everything is working well. Thanks for letting me know! :)

An extension update does not require a restart of Firefox. Are you perhaps referring to an update of the main 1Password for Windows application instead?

Thunderbird uses some of the same Mozilla components, so there really isn't anything we can do about the issue except to clarify the error message. You will still need to quit Thunderbird if Firefox needs to be quit. I'll see how we can make this clearer without making the language needlessly complex.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Cheers,
  • bobe
    bobe
    Community Member
    Maybe I was not clear. Manually updating the Firefox add-on (extension) requires that Firefox and Thunderbird be shut down. Then the updated add-on can be downloaded via Firefox and installed. No additional restart of Firefox is required.

Bob
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Neither Firefox nor Thunderbird should not need to be shut down or restarted to update the extension. I just verified this by manually updating to the latest beta version of the 1Password extension in Firefox like this:

20120825-rg2t9qw1buhm8b1jegm6i7meyy.png

Are you perhaps referring to an update of the main 1Password for Windows application instead?

Could you please describe in as much detail as possible the steps you are taking, and what you are [not] seeing happen? A screenshot may help too. Thanks!
  • bobe
    bobe
    Community Member
    My guess is that I had to use the 1Password application to update the extension in order to get to the beta channel. Doing this from the 1Password application requires the shutdown of Firefox and Thunderbird. I don't have time at the moment to investigate this further; but if my guess is wrong, let me know and I will spend some time on this later in the week.

Bob
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    An update to the main app can require a restart of your browser, but the extension updates that Firefox automatically installs in the background do not require a restart of the browser. It isn't really possible because of the JetPack APIs we are using. That is one of their main "selling points" is that they no longer require an update to the browser as extension updates used to "in the old days."

It sounds like it was just an app update. :)
This discussion has been closed.