Feature Request: password generation (better customization)

It'd be fantastic if the Windows (and Mac obviously) tool had a way to provide greater customization for password generation. I keep running into situations where the random generation just doesn't work all that well - for example some sites insist on a special character, but you can't use some of those special characters, and of course the site doesn't explain which ones you may use (in one situation, it didn't even say that was the problem, just kept saying "passwords must match" or something else erroneous and misleading).

My thinking: have the ability to create a set of named rules. For each rule, you'd have a list of the different sorts of data, e.g.
Upper case alpha
Lower case alpha
Numeric
Special characters

For each you'd have toggles for the following:
Required?
Permitted? (some passwords don't allow numbers or special characters)
At beginning? Y/N (password may or may not begin with a character from this set)
At end? Y/N (password may/may not *end* with a character from this set)
Minimum number in password (e.g. a password has to have two upper case, two lower etc.).
Max number of repeats (1, 2, 3... 0 = "as many as you want e.g. AAAAAAAAA")
Max number of this type (e.g. may have 3 alpha before needing to put in special or numeric).
Set of characters to use (prepopulated with A-Z for alpha, 0-9 for numeric etc, can edit and delete ones you can't use. Say you don't like the letters I or O. Remove them from the string).

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    (in one situation, it didn't even say that was the problem, just kept saying "passwords must match" or something else erroneous and misleading).

That's always the worst. It's bad enough to have silly limitations and requirements, but to not even tell users what they are but just keep giving an unhelpful error is truly frustrating. I just ran into this with a site earlier tonight. (sweat)

There is always room for improvement on our end, and I'll pass your feedback along to the developers.

If we can be of further assistance in the meantime, please let us know. We are always here to help!
This discussion has been closed.