How can i get 1Password to work?

Very frustrated, have already spent several hours trying to set 1 Password up on windows, cannot get it to work. Really do not know where to begin, but let's start with getting the Google Chrome extension to work properly. I finally got the key to appear in the Google toolbar, but all that appears when i click on the key is a small dialog box headlined with "masterkey", Nothing appears as outlined in the 1Password documentation. I simply cannot figure out how to establish existing website passwords into 1Password, nothing in the documentation seems to work. As far as 1Password working to establish new website passwords, same problem, NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING works. I did get the secure notes feature to work, and to sync thru Dropbox to my iPhone. Where do i go from here, this simply cannot be that difficult, what is happening to make this so impossible?

Thanks for any assistance!!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    My sincere apologies for the delay, rwf. As I hope my post (and the over 10,000 others I've made in these forums) can attest to, we are always here to help. I'm happy to help you here, but you can also always email us at support AT agilebits DOT com if you prefer email as a mode of communication versus this community forum.

I finally got the key to appear in the Google toolbar, but all that appears when i click on the key is a small dialog box headlined with "masterkey"…

This does not sound familiar to me at all. I don't think we ever use the term "masterkey" in 1Password (for Mac or Windows) or in the browser extensions. Could you post a screenshot of what you are seeing? This is what the 1Password extension should look like in Chrome:

20120828-eu23tcniwaitmkgnj7je56jwm2.png

Is that not what you are seeing when you click the 1Password "key" button in Chrome's toolbar? It almost sounds like perhaps you are referring to the autosave bar which will appear when you log into a website where you do not yet have a Login item saved. The autosave bar in Chrome looks like this:

20120828-drkjc1y7dhm479bdad87b746ei.png

Once you unlock 1Password with your master password, you will see the prompt to save the new Login item:

20120828-bq72m73m5gihxteur9kntk24qy.png

If you're stuck at any part, please describe in as much detail as possible the steps you are taking, and what you are [not] seeing happen. With some additional information (and ideally a screenshot) we'll be able to help more quickly.
  • ok, sorry. had to go out of town.

not sure where to even start. You windows documentation is so poor, it does not tell how things are supposed to work. From reading the forums, it is obvious that others feel the same. i do not have hours to spend trying to make this work. If 1Password is simply not compatible with the windows platform, please disclose this now so I can move on. If it can be made to work, and BE STABLE without problems, than i am willing to go ahead. But I cannot put hours into this and not have it work or worse lock me out of website access. So please be honest with me.

first problem; Chrome browser extension. Chrome says 1Password extension is installed but Browser/Preferences screen in 1Password says otherwise. Documentation cannot be followed as written to install the extension

2. documentation on Saving a Login item does not track reality of my situation. First of all, 1Password DOES NOT detect when I open a website and need to use/save/enter or anything else about a password. ( Almost all of your windows 7 documentation simply does not track when I follow the steps for any particular process). For example, documentation says recommended method to create a new login item is through the browser extension as described in "saving a login" However, nothing actually works as laid out in the saving a login documentation. the option of clicking the toolbar button for "login does not yield any results that will allow me to save a password.

3. next I tried "updating an existing password" follow the documentation steps, once again nothing worked. I did this in Explorer as told in the docs. Of course, docs do not tell you how to update passwords in Chrome.

4. It is my understanding and the reason i paid good money for this program is that it is supposed to be seamless. nothing could be further from the truth, as NOTHING in the password component functions. I do see a key, which is supposed to, according to the docs, indicate that 1Password extension is operational in Chrome. however, if i click on the key this is what i see
    ;
    I am in you forum website buy the way (of course)

A small dialog box appears in the top right corner of my screen (windows 7 cannot take a screen shot, correct?)

masterkey

sitekey

length

"One Password "
    masterkey is on one line (would not cut/paste well) and after sitekey is says "Agilebites" or the name of the site i am visiting. at the bottom right of the box it says

Anyway lets start with this and see if you can help. I think the problem starts with the extension, but I am not a programmer so who knows!

A suggestion: You windows documentation is really not usable. It does not lay out the steps necessary to make this work. I would suggest you start over with the windows docs. Go thru the steps a-z . Then Beta test your docs on someone who is just a regular guy, not a techie. What you have now just frustrates the customer and alienates potential customers.

One note; I run Viper anti virus and Malwarebytes. Both are on and i will not disable them to run you program as i do not with to be without protection

Thanks for the help, hopefully

I have photos taken from an iPhone or several of these problems, but I need an e mail address to send them to you.

also, the secure note area seems to work fine!

RWF

One Password
    ;
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for writing back, Ralph! I see you have also emailed us as well. Just so we're not duplicating efforts and wasting any of your time, we'll reply to your email and keep communicating with you via email until everything is resolved.

I'm going to close this thread for now to avoid any further confusion.
This discussion has been closed.