poyntesm
    Community Member
    Options
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • moleculezz
    moleculezz
    Community Member
    Options

Really interested in linux support. Count me in for a vote!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks so much for your feedback. I will pass your vote along. :)

• MikeMcFarlane
    MikeMcFarlane
    Community Member
    edited January 2013
    Options

+1 from me too.

Windows is Windows and we will probably always have it, and OS X has sufficient market share to ensure it's longevity, but for me, the writing is on the wall for OS X. It's lost direction and has an increasing list of bugs and irritations in the UX. This is a personal view and if OS X still does it for you that is great. I still love it, but am looking for a change now. And there are only really two apps which keep me on OS X - Things and 1Password. Nearly everything else I use is cross platform. They are both such great apps, and whilst there are many quality alternatives, none of them do it for me. Just my 2c.

I'm on Debian based CrunchBang.

Regarding the above comment about it being a 'browser extension', rather than a 'native app'. How does the security of two options compare?

• Hi Mike,

The encryption/decryption and many other security processes are identical, they're just re-implemented in Javascript, which makes it much slower than the native app but just as strong. The browsers are getting better at the speed of javascript and they'll keep improving it over the next several years as it becomes a very important tool for many web services and encryption will be a part of that.

The extensions themselves are sandboxed by the browsers, so website itself can't see it directly. What we do is inject a script into the site to do the auto-save/auto-fill but no data are stored within this script.

The features (not related to security) are further restricted by the browser's APIs, so it can't be as fully featured as the native app and likely will never be.

If you're curious about how it's done, you can take look at the source code of the 1PasswordAnywhere file and see what we did. I'll add to our list to write about the technologies we use in our extensions.

Thanks!

• MikeMcFarlane
    MikeMcFarlane
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MikeT

That's interesting, I understand better now. Thanks.

• Hi Mike,

You're welcome, keep the questions coming if you have it.

• koloman
    koloman
    Community Member
    Options

Definitely +1 here!

Assuming you wrote the windows version in C# I would say the best shot on porting to Linux would be to use the mono CLR. But only if you used WinForms and did'nt go for the new WPF stuff. As far as I know the mono dev team already stated that WPF is probably something they will never add to the mono APIs.

Ok, I guess I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. Just saying, 1Password is the only thing that keeps me on the OSX platform. Seriously.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @koloman,

Thanks for the vote, we always appreciate it!

1Password isn't developed in .Net, our Windows development team uses Delphi to code most of the app. Each 1Password app is developed specifically for the native platform by its own development team, not via any cross-platform technologies that could be ported easily to Linux. If we start developing for Linux (not a promise of any kinds here), we would be using native languages and technologies with our own Linux team. We believe in building native apps, not ports.

Although, we did built simple reader apps for Android and Windows Phone apps that shares a common code base, of which we do plan to replace both with native ones in the future.

Right now, many of our Linux folks uses the WINE emulator to keep 1Password running on Linux but without the benefits of the browser extensions. We honestly do want to have a native one, so WINE isn't needed but I don't know when we might do this.

• moleculezz
    moleculezz
    Community Member
    Options

We moved to LastPass Enterprise for our business.
    They have managed to make a browser add-on that works on all platforms, and with the added benefit of sharing passwords with other users.

I hope 1Password can achieve this one day. I certainly like it better in certain aspects. But for now we had to move to LastPass.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for following up on this, @moleculezz. We think that one of 1Password's strengths is that it is not a cloud hosted service like some other options, so your data is never stored on our servers. Your data is yours, and you can maintain complete control over it. That does mean cross-platform efforts require more work and sharing isn't as simple as just "granting access" to another user on the server, but these things are certainly not insurmountable. We'll continue to work hard to make 1Password the best password manager on the planet for you.

This discussion has been closed.