Long Secure Note causes 1Password to lock up on a Lenovo T400 laptop

Lenovo T400 Laptop
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Problem: Clicking a Secure note can cause 1Password to lock up, and all other software windows to go black.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Did a clean installation of Windows 7 64-bit and only installed 1Password to verify that the problem was not related to other software.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Created a new 1Password Data Folder to verify that the problem is not related to corrupt data.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I can easily re-create the problem by pasting a large text file into a new Secure Note.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Restart 1Password, click the note I created, then try to scroll down in the note and 1Password stops working.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Is there a log or error file for 1Password? [/font]

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I can easily re-create the problem by pasting a large text file into a new Secure Note.

What size?
  • Pete10
    Pete10
    Community Member
    You can re-create the problem by creating a text document that is 150KB in notepad and copy pasting the note into a 1Password Secure Note.

What is strange is that 1Password freezes on my Lenovo T400 Laptop, but the same test does not cause 1Password to freeze on my desktop computer.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    You can re-create the problem by creating a text document that is 150KB in notepad and copy pasting the note into a 1Password Secure Note.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to reproduce this. I have a Secure Note 213 KB in size with no trouble.

What is strange is that 1Password freezes on my Lenovo T400 Laptop, but the same test does not cause 1Password to freeze on my desktop computer.

How much RAM do you have installed on each machine?

Are you able to reproduce the issue on any other machine?

If neither you nor anyone else can reproduce it on another machine, I wonder if it might be a hardware issue. It's a long shot, but I wonder if it could be a problem with a RAM chip in your Lenovo.

Please let me know what you uncover.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2012
    Next time it happens, can you please generate a Diagnostics Report as soon after it happens as possible?

If you have an email client installed, you can send the report more easily by selecting Help > Diagnostics Report > E-mail to Agile. If you don't have a desktop email client, you can select Help > Diagnostics Report > Export to File. Then open your webmail, create a new message to support AT agilebits.com, and just upload the exported file as an attachment to that message.

Please include a link to this thread in your email message so that we can "connect the dots" when we se your message in our inbox.
  • Pete10
    Pete10
    Community Member
    edited April 2012
    Sounds good, I will generate a Diagnostics Report next time.

What I did to resolve the problem was I removed all of my large Secure Notes from 1Password.

But even if 1Password doesn't crash you can still tell that something is not quite right. If you put a large amount of text into a Secure Note then it gets cut off when viewing the note.

You have to edit the note to see all of the text.

Also, when a Secure Note is first created notice that there is a lot of spacing between the bottom of the note and the line 'drop an attachment here'. Click away from the note. Then click back on the note and the spacing disappears.
  • I found this thread via Google. I have the exact same problem as the original poster.

Asus K55N-BA8094C/AMDA84500M/4GB/5 laptop (4 GB RAM)

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit, updated with the latest patches by Windows Update

I bought this computer a couple of days ago and installed 1Password and other software.

When I open 1Password and double click on a 34kb secure note that was saved by MS Notepad, I am unable to scroll within the note and 1Password appears to freeze. If I then close 1Password the Win 7 interface is corrupted with windows not drawing properly or all black. Logging off Windows and logging in again resolves the Windows issues.

I've been using 1Password on a Win 7 64 desktop for several years with no problems.

Any idea what's happening? If you want a log file, email me and I'll be happy to send it.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, jgewirtz! I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

Please do follow the instructions I posted above to generate and send us a Diagnostics Report. We'd love to help and generating that report right after the problem occurs will help us track the issue down more quickly. Please also be sure to include a link to this thread so we can "connect the dots" when we see your email in our inbox.

Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.