Export Folder

Came to mind today..

There's an "Export Selected" option for the Mac version of 1Password (hope it comes to windows as well!)...

Would it be possible to run the Export Selected function on a Folder so that it would export all the items from that folder (and sub-folders if it exists). The reason I ask is that I have a folder called "Office" that has account information for all my servers, infrastructure accounts, services, etc.. It's a pretty big list and it would be fantastic to be able to export "just" that folder (and sub-folders).

Hard to implement?

Best,

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2010
    Stokkes wrote:

Came to mind today..

There's an "Export Selected" option for the Mac version of 1Password (hope it comes to windows as well!)...

Would it be possible to run the Export Selected function on a Folder so that it would export all the items from that folder (and sub-folders if it exists). The reason I ask is that I have a folder called "Office" that has account information for all my servers, infrastructure accounts, services, etc.. It's a pretty big list and it would be fantastic to be able to export "just" that folder (and sub-folders).

Hard to implement?

Best,

This suggestion has come up from time to time. Thank you for letting us know it would be useful to you. We will look into improving this in a future update.

We try not to talk about future features or make any promises of timeframes, but we always listen to our customers!

I don't use folders myself but an implementation that supported tags as well would be a boon.
  • Eduardo Martinez
    Eduardo Martinez
    Community Member
    I would love to have this option as well, but it's been two years since the original post so I guess I won't hold my breath.

I have to keep track of passwords for a couple of people and it'd be great to be able to export only their data (folder) so they can open it in their own account.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2012
    Welcome to the forums, Eduardo! Thanks for letting us know you would be interested in this as well.

While recursive exporting of a folder is not directly supported, there are a couple ways to export the data from a folder in 1Password already:

1. Select an item within the folder you wish to export.
    2. Select Edit > Select All from the menu bar (or use the Command-A keyboard shortcut).
    3. File > Export Selected

That will export all the items in the folder but not the items in folders within the folder (i.e. no recursion). If there are only a few subfolders, you can simply Command-Click on them to select multiple folders in the sidebar:

1. Select the first folder containing items you wish to export.
    2. Hold down the Command key and select the second, third, fourth, … folders you wish to export.
    3. Select an item in the list.
    4. Select Edit > Select All from the menu bar (or use the Command-A keyboard shortcut).
    5. File > Export Selected

If you need to export items from the same folder (and subfolders) frequently, you might want to set up a Smart Folder with search criteria "Folder contains [the name of the folder you want to recursively export]".

1Password-20121029-105116.png

Then just select all the items in that Smart Folder and Export Selected.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
  • Eduardo Martinez
    Eduardo Martinez
    Community Member
    Hi Khad, thanks for the reply.

Yeah that sounds like an ok solution. But this brings up another question, what about re-importing data back to my password database? I am looking at the app but I don't think it'd be possible to import a specific file back to a single folder in my db, is it?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Yes, you can import into a folder. That is the default when you import.
    Import_Assistant-20121029-184322.png
    Are you having some trouble with the import?
  • Eduardo Martinez
    Eduardo Martinez
    Community Member
    Hi Khad, I totally missed that, I will give it another try.

Thanks for the quick replies!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    It's my pleasure to help. Let me know if you've any other questions. :D
This discussion has been closed.