FF 16 and 1PW 3.8 ... any problems?

It's been ages since I posted anything here because, well, 1PW usually just works. However ... I noticed a random problem with the newest release of FF (16.01). On maybe three separate occasions, 1PW just ceased working. Keyboard command would not fill log-in info and clicking on the 1PW icon would do nothing (as in 1PW window would not appear). Restarting the helper and performing the other troubleshooting routines would not fix the problem. The only solution was to restart Firefox ... then all worked as normal. This problem could not be reproduced in any predictable manner .... it just sort of happened (like I said, at least 3 times now since the release of FF 16). My system info: Running 10.6.8 with 1PW 3.8.20 and FF extension 3.9.8. I realize that is probably not a problem that the Agile team will be able to easily investigate .... since it is so random. But it just started to manifest itself with this newest FF release. Just trying to see if anyone else has experienced it.

Best regards,

Dennis

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hey Dennis,

I'm glad that 1Password normally "just works" for you, but I'm sorry that you're having some trouble now.

Offhand, this sounds vaguely familiar. I'll ask around internally and see if anyone else has reported this.

One thing you might try is creating a new Firefox profile with only the 1Password extension installed to see if that helps:

http://support.agilebits.com/kb/browser-extensions/how-to-create-a-new-firefox-profile

Since it is not easily reproducible it may be hard to track down, but if someone else reports something similar that can give us more to go on, so I'll start tracking this on our end and see what I can uncover.

Please do let me know if the problem occurs in a fresh profile with no other extensions installed.

Cheers,
  • davet65
    davet65
    Community Member
    edited October 2012
    Ditto for me. Seems random, and restarting FF seems to fix the issue, but it recurs; don't know any pattern.

I don't want to bother setting up a new profile in FF since 1P usually can be made to work.

Only difference in my set-up is extension 3.9.9.b3.

I do get the ! in the red circle when I open the dropdown menu. Here is the report:

1Password Troubleshooting Report

When experiencing problems this page can help you diagnose the cause. Common configuration issues detected on your system will be highlighted below, along with troubleshooting tips to resolve them.
    If the support team requests this report, you send it to them by saving this page (select File > Save As) and then attaching the saved file to your email response.
    System Information
    System time 2012-10-14 : 20:21:47 Browser version Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:16.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/16.0
    1Password Extension Information
    Extension version 3.9.9.b3 (release notes) Database created at 2012-7-25 : 9:35:18 Instance UUID dcd654f0...ADEC Uptime (mins) 31
    1Password Helper Information
    Connection status Connected Last Sync Error 1Password Helper version 3.8.20 (31499) Heart beat interval (sec) 20 Heart beat acknowledged No Number of heart beats 0 Round trip elapse time (ms) Data update in progress No Last data update completed at 2012-10-14 : 20:16:5 Data update elapse time (ms) 50
    1Password Extension Settings
    Autosave enabled YES Autosubmit enabled YES Universal Unlock enabled YES Conceal Passwords YES Avoid Autosave on Domains "symantecstore.com\nschwab.com\ningdirect.com\nfacebook.com\ngoogle.com\ncomcast.net\nfilemaker.com\nawardwallet.com"
  • nachalnik
    nachalnik
    Community Member
    davet65 wrote:

Ditto for me. Seems random, and restarting FF seems to fix the issue, but it recurs; don't know any pattern.

I don't want to bother setting up a new profile in FF since 1P usually can be made to work.

Only difference in my set-up is extension 3.9.9.b3.

I do get the ! in the red circle when I open the dropdown menu.

Dave,

I have not set up a new profile yet either. I want to wait until it happens again. When it does, want to look into the problem deeper first. For me, I never got the ! in the 1PW icon. The icon itself looked normal. Clicking on it however, would do nothing. The 1PW window would not open. Additionally, using the keyboard command would do nothing. Like I said, it hasn't happened since my initial post. No idea what caused it, but being so random, hard to troubleshoot. Deep down, I have a hard time wrapping myself around the idea that it might be a corrupt FF profile. However, if it does happen again and I can't see anything else which may be causing it, that will be the next step.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2012
    Creating a new Firefox profile for testing purposes should take less than a minute. (There is a graphical interface for the process. It is pretty much just clicking a couple buttons.) I only mention that since a new profile would allow us to immediately rule out a whole host of other problems, and I wasn't sure if you had had ever done it before. I just wanted to make sure you knew that it was not the kind of task you need to set aside an entire weekend or even afternoon for. :)

Dave, it sounds like you have a perhaps very different problem if the Helper is unable to connect (as indicated by the red badge).

To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please send us a Diagnostics Report? This is different from the in-browser report you pasted above.

In 1Password 3.8, just select Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report from the menu bar.

If you are using 1Password 3.9 (from the Mac App Store), you'll need to follow the instructions here:

http://support.agile...lebits-help-you

Then attach the entire file to an email to support AT agilebits.com.

Please include a link to this thread in order that we might more quickly "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, though.
  • davet65
    davet65
    Community Member
    edited October 2012
    Khad,

As of today, the problem has not re-occurred. The only thing that I did was restart my Mac, not just FF. I don't know whether that solved the issue, or whether it will come back. But for now, I will do nothing. Thanks for your attention.

I did think creating a new profile would affect my current one, which I didn't want to mess with. I remembered reading something about transferring settings to the new profile. I read over the process and see that it is easy. But for now, it is not necessary.

I didn't even know about FF Sync; thanks for that tip.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for letting me know everything is working well. If you do have any more trouble, please do email us a Diagnostics Report. That will help us resolve the issue much more quickly. Hopefully you won't need to do that. :D

Cheers,
  • davet65
    davet65
    Community Member
    I forgot to mention that the red badge is gone, too. Perhaps you read that into my comment, but I just wanted to confirm.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Awesome! It does indeed sound like everything is in order. Thanks for confirming that.
  • nachalnik
    nachalnik
    Community Member
    edited October 2012
    Problem has reoccurred twice since my inital post. Each time, console msg has been the same. I sent an email with the console msg to agilebits support along with what I have done so far. Again, this is not a huge problem for me and certainly one which may be difficult to pinpoint due to its randomness. For others reading this, creating a a new FF profile did not help. Next step is to reinstall FF 16 and wach for another occurrence.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    It's a typo I make often myself, so I just want to double-check. Did you mean to write that "creating a new Firefox profile did not help"? If it did, then it sounds like things are working better which is great. :)
  • nachalnik
    nachalnik
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

It's a typo I make often myself, so I just want to double-check. Did you mean to write that "creating a new Firefox profile did not help"? If it did, then it sounds like things are working better which is great. :)

Yes Khad ..... typo corrected! That brain to fingers disconnect is terrible!! Thanks for catching this.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Okay, we'll follow up with you via email until we crack the case. Thanks for emailing us with more details.
  • nachalnik
    nachalnik
    Community Member
    I guess we can close this out, especially since I have not seen any posts of others experiencing the problem. For me, it is now solved (knock on wood). Last occurrence of the issue was 18 October. One of two things solved the problem. First, I did a new install of FF 16.01 (actually deleting the old and installing a new copy rather than installing over the old one). Unfortunately, I forgot to disable auto updates of the 1PW extension for testing purposes and on Oct 22, it updated from 3.9.8 to 3.9.9! So, while it could have been a problem with the initial install of FF 16.01 or the combo of FF 16 and the 3.9.8 extension, my gut feeling is that it was a problem with the initial FF 16.01 installation. In any event, have not seen a reoccurrence. Thanks all.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Great news! Thanks for letting me know that everything is working well.

You know where to find us if you ever have any other trouble. :D
  • davet65
    davet65
    Community Member
    edited November 2012
    khad,

I have been absent for a while, but DO continue to have issues with FF and 1Password. I just want to touch base with you with my latest symptoms BEFORE I reinstall FF or 1Password / new FF profile / whatever.

On a random basis, the 1Passwood "icon" either completely disappears from its location next to my FF website input box, or it is there but does not work. I think, but am not sure, that it never shows up on certain web pages. And if close then reload a page on which it became non-functional, it may then be functional. This info is very "soft" as the behavior seems to be random; sorry about that. Any thoughts?

The ! in the red circle is NOT present.

I am running FF 16.0.2 and 1Password Version 3.8.20 (build 31499) and 3.9.10.b1.

Thanks,

DaveT
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    There is a bug — which seems so far to be in Firefox itself — where if you click a link that opens in a new window the 1Password button will not be present in the new window. Is that what you are seeing?

If so, a quick way around it is to open links in new tabs instead of new windows.

Please let me know.
  • davet65
    davet65
    Community Member
    khad,

I will try to watch more closely at what happens when.

I must admit that I am getting frustrated with FF. The new version doesn't work on a couple of sites I use regularly. I just may go to Safari, since it seems to be the most widely accepted browser for the Mac.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Safari is my primary browser, but Chrome is also rock solid in my experience. Firefox is my least favorite browser in OS X, although it is much better in Windows. Let me know what you uncover.
This discussion has been closed.