Can't get 1Password Pro to recognize master password on iPhone 4

DavidB
DavidB
Community Member
edited November 2012 in iOS
I am a long-time user of 1P on my MacBook Pro.

Yesterday I downloaded and installed 1P Pro 3.7.2 (4+) from the Mac App Store for my iPhone 4 running iOS 6.0.1. I can open 1P with my Unlock Code (four-digit PIN) with no problem, but when I try to log into an account, such as this forum, it says, "Master Password Required." I try entering my Master Password very carefully but it just increases the increment in the error message, "X Failed Password Attempts." (I'm up to seven.)

I assume this is the same Master Password as for my regular 1P application? Otherwise I don't remember setting up a second one.

Also, I hope it will only ask for it once? Otherwise I can't imagine inputting a strong password on the iPhone keyboard every time I want to log into an account--or even every time I want to use 1P on the iPhone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

David

P.S. Okay, after posting my message above, I searched around some more and after reading "How to Log into Web Sites - 1 Password User Guide" http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_touch/log_into_sites.html I realize how naive--or at least ignorant--my questions were.

However, I was still stunned to read, "Just like 1Password for Mac, 1Password for iPhone and iPod touch makes it a snap to log into websites."

How is it a "snap" to have to input a long, secure password using upper and lower alphanumeric characters plus symbols on an iPhone screen? And does this have to be done for every login, not even just once per session?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2012
    You don't need to input your master password for each site you want to log in to.

Just like the desktop app, you can customize the auto-lock timeout and use 1Password unlocked until you are done.

Your master password does not have to be the same between 1Password for Mac/Windows and your 1Password iOS app(s). Many users like to have a less-complicated one for 1Password iOS apps because of the interaction using the much smaller virtual keyboard. Because they do not have to be the same, they are never synced from one device/platform to another. You created a master password for the iPhone app when you first installed 1Password on your iPhone.

Your master password is used to encrypt all your confidential information for each item that has the master password enabled; without this password the data in these items cannot be recovered. Your 1Password master password is known only by you, and we cannot reset it for you; if we could, that would be a security hole that criminals could use to steal your data.

If you cannot remember the password, you will need to reset your master password. Make sure you're using the latest version of 1Password on your iOS device and then navigate to More > Settings > Security and tap Reset Master Password. Note that any entries that were previously protected by the master password will be permanently lost.

If you reset the database there are a few ways to retrieve your data after the reset:

* If you've been using Dropbox to sync your data with 1Password for Mac or Windows, just set up Dropbox syncing again, and your data will start syncing to your iPhone automatically. Please see this guide for instructions:

http://help.agilebit...th_dropbox.html

* If you've previously sync'ed your 1Password data with 1Password for Mac using Wi-Fi, you can easily restore your data during the next Wi-Fi sync:

http://help.agilebit...c_manually.html

* If you've used the built-in "backup and restore" feature to save a backup copy of your 1Password data, you can use it again to restore that saved backup file. You can read more about our backup and restore option here:

http://help.agilebit...uch/backup.html

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
  • DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

You don't need to input your master password for each site you want to log in to.

Just like the desktop app, you can customize the auto-lock timeout and use 1Password unlocked until you are done.

Your master password does not have to be the same between 1Password for Mac/Windows and your 1Password iOS app(s). Many users like to have a less-complicated one for 1Password iOS apps because of the interaction using the much smaller virtual keyboard. Because they do not have to be the same, they are never synced from one device/platform to another. You created a master password for the iPhone app when you first installed 1Password on your iPhone.

Khad,

Thank you for your reply--I appreciate your help.

Based on your comments, I looked further and found that I had created an easier but still strong Master Password for my 1P iOS app when I installed it several months ago, but had forgotten about it since I haven't actually used the app until today. Now I'm all set.

David
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Great news! Thanks for letting me know that everything is working well. :)

Enjoy your weekend,
This discussion has been closed.