Error when using 1password.html file

On my main PC, 1Password works fine. In Preferences, I have it set to use my local DropBox folder, and when I'm in a browser I can access my passwords, and when I go into the 1Password application itself, I can access everything fine. The problem I have is when I'm trying to access my 1Password info on another system, through DropBox. I have installed DropBox onto another machine, and after it is done synching, I go into the 1Password.agilekeychain folder in the DropBox folder, and double click on the 1Password.html file, so I can access the passwords via my browser. When I do this, I get the following error message:

A problem occurred when loading the "file:///C:/Users/jmcnelis/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/encryptionKeys.js" file.

I go back to my main PC, where everything works fine, and I decide to check the same file. When I double click on 1Password.html on my main system, I get the following error message:

A problem occurred when loading the "file:///D:/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/encryptionKeys.js" file.

When I clear the error message, the webpage comes up asking for my 1Password master password. When I type it in, I get the error window popup that says:

Problem loading 1Password data file

A [url=""]key data file[/url] could not be loaded and 1PasswordAnywhere cannot continue without it.
Please see this help guide for troubleshooting tips.

When clicking on the "key data file" link, it gives me a very long line of text, which looks like a json array.

Just as a side note, on my Android phone, 1Password works fine, and syncs correctly with DropBox. It only seems to give me an issue when I try to access the 1Password.html file from my DropBox folder.

I don't think this is an issue with DropBox, as if I copy the data files out of my DropBox folder, or go to the old version of the data files before I copied them to DropBox, I have the same problem.

Comments

• Hi Joey,

The web browsers may have additional security features preventing local script files from loading, so it'd break 1PasswordAnywhere and you'll get that message instead.

Have you try going straight to Dropbox.com first in the web browser and then locate the 1Password.html file there to open it? That'll bypass the security for the local files and should work fine.
  • Joey McNelis
    Joey McNelis
    Community Member
    I did not try that before, but just did right now, and it works great! I hadn't even thought to go to their website and access it that way. That will help out a lot, especially on machines I don't want to (or can't!) install DropBox onto!

Thanks a lot for the help!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Great news! Thanks for letting us know that everything is working well. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
  • glev
    glev
    Community Member

I have the same problem. However, I did access 1Password.html through dropbox.com. I am able to enter in my password, then I get the error - Problem loading 1Password data file

A key data file could not be loaded and 1PasswordAnywhere cannot continue without it.

Please see this help guide for troubleshooting tips.

• glev
    glev
    Community Member

I should add that I am using 1Password4 on a Mac running 10.8.5 - did not have this problem with 1Password 3. And I am running this on my computer just to be sure it is working.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @glev,

I'm sorry to hear you're having troubles accessing 1Password Anywhere! The error you're seeing is a bit strange if you are accessing 1Password Anywhere via the Dropbox website. Please take a screenshot of the message that you are seeing. When we see that we will know better what's going on here. Please ensure that you are taking a full screen screenshot so we can get the whole big picture. :)

There are instructions on how to take a screenshot here: http://take-a-screenshot.org/

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I did access 1Password.html through dropbox.com. I am able to enter in my password, then I get the error - Problem loading 1Password data file. A key data file could not be loaded and 1PasswordAnywhere cannot continue without it.

Have you tried to repair your 1Password Data in our Windows app? File > Repair 1Password Data.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Hi, glev!

In what browser on what platform are you trying to view and use 1Password.html on your Dropbox web site?

• glev
    glev
    Community Member

Sorry, just noticed this - I did resolve the problem. I was syncing both iCloud and Dropbox. Apparently that messes up the 1Password anywhere access. If I just sync to dropbox, all works as expected.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I'd be surprised if that turned out to be the case, but I'm glad to hear that you're no longer having a problem with 1PasswordAnywhere. Thanks for letting us know!

This discussion has been closed.