Translations: how to make our suggestions to be taken as first choice ?

face
face
Community Member
Hi, i've added some improvements to italian translation. How to make my suggestion first choice to be included in the app ? I've simply to select minus - near the actual (wrong) translation ? Thanks PS btw the italian translation is good but needs to be really improved especially because many phrases doesn't fit the little room available.

Comments

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    I didn't even think about using the -. I simply submitted my suggestions and hoped that the moderators for the localizations will make the appropriate switch.
    I'd love to know how the whole thing works too though.

Corentin
  • The thing works through community voting, if everybody agree, they should vote on the correct strings and that'll get it validated for the app.

Here's what it looks like on the other side for us when viewing your strings:

2012-11-30_14-30-05-1.png

All I have to do is press the green button to make it the best suggestion for the app.
  • face
    face
    Community Member
    Great Mike and thanks for the explanation.
    Please consider that (at least for italian language) the problem is not only to translate all correctly (quite all the phrases i've looking at are ok) but also to verify that the strings FIT perfectly in the (often) small room ... So, please, take care of that when accept our suggestions ...
  • cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Good to know… Sounds like we need to recruit more people to proofread if we want to get enough votes to get the strings to be modified…

Is there a way to list all the strings that have suggestions to be voted on?

Corentin
  • tecno4border
    tecno4border
    Community Member
    Thanks for the tip. Just liked the italian translation. I have improved the translation of certain sentences.
  • face
    face
    Community Member
    Mike but what about no one vote ? I've tons of italian suggestions to be validated ...
    actually many original strings continue not fit properly in the labels (even if the translations could be ok) ...
  • MikeT
    edited December 2012
    Hi guys,

There isn't a way to see all strings that haven't been voted on but if you press "Proofread" button in the Actions column, you can quickly select multiple strings to approve it.

2012-12-03_16-15-29.png

The translations aren't final if we release the iOS app, we can keep including the changes in the future updates to improve it.
  • face
    face
    Community Member
    Yes i can understand but please look also at the possibility to add some more active users for each language (me for italian ? (think) ) as 'master' translator so that these master translators could directly give the first choice translation (obviously allowing others to make their own translations/suggestions). I'm for example the italian translator of Pocket Informant and on another platform named Get localization this feature is available.
    It should be included also on Crowdin this feature, isn't it ? In fact actually your team has given the master translation ...
    Sorry to insist but i strongly think that trying to give the_best_localization_from_day_one would be a good move.
  • cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Relying exclusively on vote counts for the trnalsations is going to be tough since at this point most strings (not just the ones recently modified) are written up as "votable". It's a huge amount of work for the reviewers (and I don't even know how many people are reviewing each language on Crowdin…).

Corentin
  • cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Having someone in charge of the final decision as Face mentioned is also important for situations where you have different suggestions with the same number of votes…

Corentin
  • cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    MikeT wrote:

Hi guys,

There isn't a way to see all strings that haven't been voted on but if you press "Proofread" button in the Actions column, you can quickly select multiple strings to approve it.

For what it's worth… I can't find any way to have a proofread button. It might not be available to my level of participation.
    I can filter the .strings for strings to vote on though.

Corentin
  • MikeT
    edited December 2012
    Hi guys,

Even the ones that haven't been voted on are still being pushed to the apps, it's just a way to pick a better translation.

Coretin and face, I've promoted you guys to be proofreader level, that should give you the proofread option now. Sorry, I forgot that I might see extra features that regular users might not.
  • face
    face
    Community Member
    Great ! Thanks a bunch ! I'm honored for that (clap)
  • cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Thanks a million! I already started the deeper proofreading of all the files.
    The only big point remaining for me at this point for the French localization is that a lot of strings are lowercase in English, but capitalized in French. Most look like they are field description so it’s not a big deal (as long as it’s consistent), but I’m not quite sure whether it needs to be adressed or not…

Corentin
  • You're welcome.

@Corentin, We changed all the strings to lowercase a short while ago, so the translations haven't caught up to match it. It should be lowercase to match the style.
  • face
    face
    Community Member
    @MikeT just wonder: all our translations (Corentin & mine) should be now automagically gone at first positions, also the old one, isn't it ?
    i know that probably i'll know it in the matter of hours with the new updated build ...
  • cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    MikeT wrote:

You're welcome.

@Corentin, We changed all the strings to lowercase a short while ago, so the translations haven't caught up to match it. It should be lowercase to match the style.

Thanks for the clarification (and changing the case) Mike,

Corentin
  • face wrote:

@MikeT just wonder: all our translations (Corentin & mine) should be now automagically gone at first positions, also the old one, isn't it ?
    i know that probably i'll know it in the matter of hours with the new updated build ...

That's the correct expectation, your translations should go in first and any approved translations are automatically first.

cortig wrote:

Thanks for the clarification (and changing the case) Mike,

Corentin

You're welcome!
This discussion has been closed.