Demo Mode Issue & Feature Suggestion

Penelope Pitstop
Penelope Pitstop
Community Member
I think the demo mode is a great idea. It would be great if another Lock Now button were available beneath the toggle to turn it on.

I've also found a reproducible bug on iPad in both landscape and portrait orientation.

If you select a folder before locking the app and the enter demo mode, the app opens with folders selected but the title above the folder list is from your private keychain.

Please can someone reassure me that there is no chance of my private data being accessible from demo mode and explain why?

Comments

• jhollington
    jhollington
    Community Member
    This is just educated guessing again until such time as an actual 1Password developer can chime in...

Remember that your data is encrypted using your Master Password (technically, a key derived from your Master Password, but the end result is the same: No Master Password entered == unintelligible blobs of encrypted data).

Since 1Password doesn't actually unlock/decrypt your data until you've entered your Master Password, and since Demo mode has you enter "demo" as the Master Password, it seems to me that your data would be entirely encrypted on the device while in Demo mode.

In fact, this may be why "Demo" mode is triggered from the password prompt instead of simply putting a button inside the app. I'm sure 1Password could still lock up your data when switching to demo mode even from within the app, but it seems much clearer to me that if you're not entering a valid Master Password, your data remains safely locked away.
  • Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    Because the title of one of my folders was visible, it made me question what's going on.

I know in 3.x some parts of the keychain were stored unencrypted to facilitate easy searching etc. I imagine folder names part of that. Has anything changed in this regard with 4.0? I haven't seen any description of changes under the hood.

• jhollington
    jhollington
    Community Member
    I haven't seen anything specific with regard to data storage in 4.0 either, although I know that the data file format has changed and there have been several more general comments about improving the amount of stuff that's encrypted. Specifically, from http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_storage_security.html

As we develop 1Password further, we are exploring ways to have it work with all data encrypted. We expect to have a new data format in which all data are encrypted prior to the release of 1Password 4.

Hopefully that's actually true with the v4 data file format. It's possible the folder name appearance was simply a matter of the app trying to re-open to the last view (from RAM) rather than reading something from the actual data file.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hopefully that's actually true with the v4 data file format. It's possible the folder name appearance was simply a matter of the app trying to re-open to the last view (from RAM) rather than reading something from the actual data file.

This is what I believe to be happening, but I'll try to get confirmation.

Thanks for reporting this.
This discussion has been closed.