Passcode Unlock For 1Password on iPhone

pappjo
pappjo
Community Member
My wife has forgotten and not written down the unlock passcode for 1Password on her phone. This is the code for the app not the phone itself. The master password is intact but we can't access the app without the 4 digit code. Is there a simple way to reset this? I'm thinking that deleting the app and then reinstalling may do it but I am concerned this may cause other problems. We both use Dropbox on all of our devices for syncing so I would hope that we could get everything back on her phone this way after reinstalling. I'll make sure the new code is written down this time if this can be done.

I would greatly appreciate any help on this.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2011
    You hit the nail on the head pappjo,

Simply delete the app off the iDevice and then reinstall,

As long as you are syncing via Dropbox then yes you can just pull down a new copy of the data from the server, all you will need to do is supply the sync info, basically just reset up the sync as if new and your good to go.

Sounds weird but I am gonna give you a hint on this one. We (the wife and myself) use it all the time. You may think I am crazy for this but i think you will see the logic.

Create a secure note in 1P and log all Master passwords of each iDevice, also the short code on the iPhone. That way if you forget the phone code you can get to it on the Mac, or Win. If you use a different master password on the iDevice you can also get to it via the Mac or Win app. Lastly if you forget the Mac or Win app Master password you can get to it from the iDevice.

If you forget all of those then you have a doozie on your hands :D
  • pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Got it taken care of. Thanks!
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited January 2012
    You're welcome :)
  • melg
    melg
    Community Member
    thightower wrote:

Create a secure note in 1P and log all Master passwords of each iDevice, also the short code on the iPhone. That way if you forget the phone code you can get to it on the Mac, or Win. If you use a different master password on the iDevice you can also get to it via the Mac or Win app. Lastly if you forget the Mac or Win app Master password you can get to it from the iDevice.

Nice idea. hadn't thought of that. Thanks.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    On behalf of Tommy, you are quite welcome! :-)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
  • kolonelpanik
    kolonelpanik
    Community Member
    thightower wrote:

Your welcome :)

I'm sorry to have to say this, but "you're welcome" is something I understand. "Your welcome" is at best, an incomplete sentence referring to nothing I can deduce. Yes, of course I know what you mean, but coding in English and other human language is at least as important as machine coding. Thank you.
  • I think I need a clarification: let's say:

I'm syncing with Dropbox between devices
    I delete the iPhone app
    I reinstall the iPhone app
    Can I access my saved passwords simply setting a new master password on the newly installed iPhone app and syncing it with Dropbox?

Basically after having set up a Dropbox sync all I need to remember (worst case) is my Dropbox password? If I'm correct, the master password is related to the device accessing the keychain, not related to the keychain stored on Dropbox?
  • jhollington
    jhollington
    Community Member
    In 1Password 3.x, as long as you remember your actual Master Password, the "master password" on the iOS side is irrelevant. Delete the app, reinstall, and resync your data via either Wi-Fi or Dropbox (you'll of course also need to know your Dropbox password if you're using that as a sync method).

1Password 4 uses the actual Master Password directly, so there is no longer any device-specific password at all. There's a Quick Unlock Code, but you only get one try at this before it falls back to the Master Password and you can then easily reset it just by logging in with the Master Password and going into the 1Password settings and toggling it off and back on again.
  • Thanks, but reading again my post I see it is not clear that I am worried that someone, knowing my Dropbox credentials, could access my password just installing a fresh copy of 1password and performing a sync with Dropbox.

In this worst-case scenario, would be necessary to know also my master password? Is there a "link" between my master password and the 1password file stored in Dropbox? If the master password is not "known" by the file stored in Dropbox, basically the last line of defense is the Dropbox password...

What's to prevent such a case?
  • jhollington
    jhollington
    Community Member
    edited December 2012
    Yes, your actual Master Password (the one you use on the desktop) is definitely required to access your 1Password data. The files sitting on Dropbox are encrypted using a key derived from that Master Password, so without that Master Password, even you cannot get access to your data.

The "master password" used to log in on 1Password 3.x for iOS is not the same thing -- this is just a "high security" password that exists on your device only, with which the data is encrypted/decrypted on your device only.

One point of confusion that may arise is that 1Password 3.x stores the actual Master Password in your iOS Keychain, and this is preserved even after you delete and reinstall your 1Password app on the same device. This means that after reinstalling 1Password, you may be surprised that you don't need to re-enter your Master Password, but this is simply because it's already there from the previous install. The fact that this doesn't get removed when you delete the app is a limitation of iOS and there isn't really anything that 1Password can do about it.

However, if you install 1Password on a new device -- even a new device that's been restored from a backup of your previous one -- you will definitely need to enter the Master Password again in order to sync your data. It simply cannot be decrypted from Dropbox and stored on your device without that crucial piece of information.

Remember, however, that this is all in 1Password 3.x. Since 1Password 4 uses the real Master Password, it will sync down from Dropbox without any problems, but you'll be required to log in using that Master Password (the same one as on the desktop or in 1PasswordAnwyhere) before you can access any of your data.
  • Thanks, that's crucial.

I never read anywhere that there was a "actual" master password. I assumed they were all equal.
    That means that if I change the master password on desktop the keychain on Dropbox will be re-encrypted and next login on iOS I will be prompted to set up Dropbox sync again, since it cannot decrypt the keychain because it has the old one stored in the iOS keychain..

I like the behavior of version 4 much more!
This discussion has been closed.