Family Pack / 4.0

Chris100
Chris100
Community Member
edited November 2012 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
Hey, I was getting ready to purchase a Family Pack to move my wife and kids off SplashID, but I've just read about 4.0 upgrades only promised to Mac App Store purchases.

Will there be similar upgrade offers for FamilyPack users? Or would it be better to wait?

(We are a mixed windows/Mac household, so the MAS offering doesn't work for us. )

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Just email us a copy of your MAS receipt and we'll provide you with the bundle pricing on your Windows license:

support@ agilebits .com

As for a Family License vs. a Mac App Store license, the licensing terms of the App Store are very similar to our previous Family License. From Macworld's Mac App Store FAQ:

"You can install apps bought from the Mac App Store on any and every Mac that you personally own and use."

"Apps don't check to see if you've using an iTunes-authorized Mac. They can ask you to verify your Apple ID and password, but that's a single check and it's just to verify you are who you say you are. Once your identity is verified, that's it. There's no authorizing or deauthorizing or counting of different Macs."

"Apps are purchased for and owned by a user linked to a single Apple ID. But if you log in with that ID on all the Macs in your household, you can download and install your apps on each one."

http://www.macworld.com/article/156962/2011/01/mac_app_store_faq.html

In short, the upgrade path we have carved out in the Mac App Store is (1) less expensive than it has ever been previously and (2) still has quite nonrestrictive licensing terms.

I can't think of any circumstances offhand in which a MAS license would be any more restrictive than our Family license.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
  • Chris100
    Chris100
    Community Member
    edited November 2012
    Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have a MAS license. I only own the iPhone PRO app. Am using it with trial Mac/Windows apps.

I'm satisfied enough with it to want to convert my whole family over, so was planning to buy the Mac/Windows family bundle from Agile (not MAS).

Just afraid after buying it from Agile (not MAS), 4.0 will come out for Mac/Windows and I will be paying for an upgrade. (I know the iPhone v4 app will be a new purchase--I'm not worried about that part.)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    RIght. That's why I'm suggesting that you purchase 1Password for Mac on the Mac App Store. Then email us your MAS receipt and we'll make sure you get the bundle discount on a Windows Single User or Family License.

You'll pay the same (or less) than the Mac+Windows bundle in our online store and get the free upgrade to Mac v4 when it comes out.

So…whenever you're ready, we'd love to receive a copy of your MAS receipt. :D

support@ agilebits .com
  • Chris100
    Chris100
    Community Member
    OK, thanks Khad. I get it now.

Bought it from MAS last night, waiting for my receipt from Apple. Seems to take a while, but as soon as I have it I will email support.

Thanks again,

Chris
    Very Happy Switcher from SplashID
  • Chris100
    Chris100
    Community Member
    Still waiting for receipt from Apple. Does anyone know if there is a way to get them to send it immediately? Looking at past purchases, it seems to sometimes take days for them to email a receipt.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I've seen folks joke that the time between a purchase and Apple sending a receipt could be used as a source of entropy. It is pretty random. ;)

If you're in a hurry, we should be able to provide the discount with a screenshot of 1Password in your past purchases list.

Cheers,
  • TonyK
    TonyK
    Community Member
    receipts sometimes take several days or over a week. Unsure why but they eventually come through.

Now the MAS vs Family License issue is cleared up I might blow $50 for an upgrade I don't need (3.8.20 vs 3.9.6) so I can get 1Password 4 for OS X for a better price.

Please clarify if I understand this right and what the price on MAS will be for 1Password 4 if I purchase 1Password 3.96.

Thanks,
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    All Mac App Store copies of 1Password come with a free upgrade to Mac v4 when available. I can't promise anything, but it is not outside the realm of possibility that we will have a sale at the time Mac v4 is released. I'm sorry I can't give any specifics about the future, but I hope that helps you make an educated decision.
This discussion has been closed.