Backup Item Counts

I have a Smart Folder setup that counts all my items in 1Password (424). I recently had to restore a backup from the Restore Data File from Backup menu item. The Restore dialogue lists (550) items. I restores to 424 after the restore. What's accounting for the discrepancy? Is the Agile Keychain accumulating junk?

Comments

• HenryY
    HenryY
    Community Member
    I exported all my keychain items, and re-imported them into a new keychain. I think 1Password accumulates some cruft in the Agile Keychain after a while?
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Indeed you are correct about cruft, Henry.

If you haven't cleared your 1Password Trash in a while, this can happen. The application won't count Trash items, but back up item count will include Trash.

This can also happen with sync conflict files. 1Password is very very conservative about what it throws away. So even if it thinks it has resolved a potential sync conflict, it will keep the alternative file around. The item can count for the backup is just a file count, even if those include files that 1Password doesn't use.

I hope this helps. Please let me know.

Cheers,

-j
  • HenryY
    HenryY
    Community Member
    It wasn't the trash, I empty that regularly. I believe it was probably leftover files from sync conflicts. Is there any way to get rid of these besides exporting all items, creating a new Agile Keychain, and importing them all?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    The backup mechanism only counts the number of files in the data file directly without any logic about what kinds of entries they are. There are a few entry types that get counted in this process, but the most common ones are trashed items and saved sync points such as for Wi-Fi sync.

Some of those items include:
    • vault items
    • trashed items
    • regular folders
    • saved searches (Smart Folders)
    • Wi-Fi sync connections

Don't worry about the counts displayed for them, but the rather the actual number of folders which is not displayed in the UI. You'll need to count them by hand if you insist on knowing. :P

I wouldn't worry too much about the backup item count since not everything it counts is represented in the UI. Of course, if the number is ever too low, then I think there is cause for concern. :D
This discussion has been closed.