iCloud is only available to App Store apps

binarymelon
binarymelon
Community Member
edited December 2012 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
For people who bought 1Password outside of the App Store you're about to be dropped on your head. No support for future versions, paying for upgrades when new users are getting a free ride. $8.00 for iCloud support on iPhone which is essentially useless without desktop companions apps. Please don't give them anymore of your money. I've spent nearly $100 on 1password licenses over the last few years and I'm likely looking at at least another $50 if I were to continue using their products. Don't be a sucker like I was.

At the very least know your options and make the decision yourself.

http://www.imore.com/1password-vs-lastpass-vs-msecure-iphone-password-management-app-shootout

Comments

• Ryan,

I am not sure if it is possible to support iCloud for apps outside Mac App Store. As far as I know, officially only the Mac App Store and iOS App Store apps can use iCloud.

• For people who bought 1Password outside of the App Store you're about to be dropped on your head. No support for future versions, paying for upgrades when new users are getting a free ride. $8.00 for iCloud support on iPhone which is essentially useless without desktop companions apps....

Hi Ryan,

iCloud data sync is restricted to Apple's App Stores, since 1Password 3.8.x is not in App Store, it cannot have iCloud support. Only 1Password at the Mac App Store can have iCloud sync and it'll get a free update to include iCloud sync but I don't have a timeframe on this.

However, that's why we still have Dropbox sync, you can sync 1Password 4 app for iOS with your 1Password 3.8.x apps via Dropbox.

We still support 1Password 3.8.x series and we will issue any updates we can to fix any critical issues or bugs.

In addition, we do plan to have an upgrade path to allow customers with 3.8.x to upgrade to 1Password 3.9/4.x and as soon as we find it, we'll announce it.

Thanks!
  • binarymelon
    binarymelon
    Community Member
    Why not give a free upgrade from 1Password Pro for iPhone, why not continue with a version stream that doesn't include iCloud for Mac? Are you abandoning the Windows version? You can't sell that in the App Store.
  • Hi Ryan,

1. iCloud is just an extra/optional sync service that people can use for now in 1Password 4. We have a lot of iOS users that don't use the desktop apps and they can now use iCloud to sync between their devices without setting up an extra service like Dropbox.

1Password 4 for iOS can do both Dropbox/iCloud together at the same time, so it can extend the sync coverage. However, Windows users can simply turn off iCloud in 1Password 4 and use Dropbox only in 1Password 4.

2. We are certainly not abandoning anything. 1Password 1 or future versions for Windows will use Dropbox as will Android and other platforms to sync your data with. iCloud is an option for the iOS/OS X users only, if those users need other platforms, they can enable Dropbox sync to do this.

3. Just to be clear, iCloud sync is just a feature inside 1Password, it does not restrict 1Password to any specific platform. The feature itself is restricted to Apple's App Stores, so it will not show up while the rest will.

4. If we give everything away for free forever, there wouldn't be developers for 1Password to continue the work.

That's why we made 1Password 4 a brand new app and separated from 1Password 3.x, 1Password 3.x apps are still supported and people who bought 3.x will continue to be able to download 1Password 3 as long as iOS still supports those apps. However, 1Password 3.x won't be available for sales, just as 1Password 2.x for Mac isn't available for sales from our web site but we still support those users.

I hope this helps, please let me know.

Thanks!
  • Carl
    Carl
    Community Member
    edited December 2012

For people who bought 1Password outside of the App Store you're about to be dropped on your head.

I'm guessing that when 1P v4 for the desktop is released in the Mac App Store (MAS) it will be on sale initially for 1/2 the regular price. So we are talking $24.99 which is what I paid for 3.9.2 from the MAS when I bought it last year even though I already had a non-MAS license.

Those who already bought MAS get 4.0 for free. Those who wait until the release will get a good deal on the upgrade. (my guess)

Doesn't sound like a huge drop on the head to me.

No support for future versions, paying for upgrades when new users are getting a free ride.

If you already bought the MAS version then you aren't getting a "free ride".

$8.00 for iCloud support on iPhone which is essentially useless without desktop companions apps.

You're not paying $8 for the new iOS app ONLY for iCloud support. I'm not using iCloud on the iOS at this time. (for example)

Please don't give them anymore of your money.

Well, since you said.....nah....I will totally ignore your "expert" opinion.

I've spent nearly $100 on 1password licenses over the last few years and I'm likely looking at at least another $50 if I were to continue using their products. Don't be a sucker like I was.

I would say you are looking at something more like $25. Of course, 1Password is the only software that ever has a paid upgrade. I mean, I haven't bought multiple versions of Pages, Numbers, etc. that only had minor improvements.

At the very least know your options and make the decision yourself.

I'll not quote your link to the other crappy products because they are not worth looking at.
  • Chris100
    Chris100
    Community Member
    Hey, man, I respect your opinion, but just wanted to point out that there is more to 4.0 than iCloud. I'm using it with dropbox, and I am super happy with it.

Also, I was a user of a competing product for many years (SplashID) and I can tell you that they charged for major updates as well. Fair play, in my opinion.

Lastly, there is nothing compelling anyone to upgrade. The old versions continue to work, in fact, Agile has said they will continue to support V3 of the iOS app for those who do not upgrade.
  • charlie98
    charlie98
    Community Member
    edited December 2012
    Chris100 wrote:

Lastly, there is nothing compelling anyone to upgrade. The old versions continue to work, in fact, Agile has said they will continue to support V3 of the iOS app for those who do not upgrade.

From an economic perspective as time goes by Agile will find it too expensive to maintain multiple versions of their product. Not saying anytime soon but at some point they will drop support.

I am a fastmail user and we have just gone through this experience.

The old versions may work for now, nothing lasts forever. Continuous change describes what computers are all about.
This discussion has been closed.