1Password won't open on Firefox

This is extremely time wasting and frustrating.

I recently changed my 1Password Master Password on my iPhone, my iPad, my iMac, and my MacBook Air.

I can access my passwords on everything except Firefox v 17.0.1.

When I go to Firefox, I see a red dot with an exclamation point, but clicking on it only produces the log-in window for 1Password, but neither the new nor the old Master Password will open 1Password.

My Mac OS is 10.8.2 and 1Password is v 3.9.6.

Thanks for any help,
Bob

Comments

• BikerBob
    BikerBob
    Community Member
    OK. I can answer my own post. I forgot that I had changed the Master Password twice. In Firefox, once I input the original password, it opened and I was able to use it.

However, that leads to another question: I cannot dope out, using that Firefox extension, how to change the Master Password on the Firefox Add-on/extension to the new Master Password.

How is that done, please?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Please completely remove and reinstall the Firefox extension. Other browsers handle the removal of the SQLite file automatically, but you will need to do this manually for Firefox:

1. In Firefox, select **Tools > Add-ons** from the menu bar.
    2. Click the **Remove** button to remove the 1Password extension.
    3. Quit Firefox.
    4. In Finder, select **Go > Go to Folder** from the menu bar.
    5. Copy and paste the following path and press Return:

~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles

6. Move the `OnePassword.sqlite` file you see there to the desktop.

Then reinstall the 1Password extension in Firefox:

https://agilebits.com/extensions/mac/index.html

Once everything is working well, you can safely move the `OnePassword.sqlite` file on the desktop to the trash.
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob
    Community Member
    Thank you so much, Khad, for those clear and easy to follow instructions. Worked perfectly, first time.

Crikey, but Firefox makes it clumsy and complicated to change the password on the 1Password Add-on, don't they?

Bob
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2012
    Yes, unfortunately the SQLite database is not removed automatically when you remove the Firefox extension like it is in Safari and Chrome. Fortunately, you should not need to worry about it ever again. :)

Only change your Master Password if it is weak and needs to be made stronger or if it is also used for something else. Your 1Password Master Password isn’t like a typical Login password, and so security advice that tells people to change passwords regularly does not apply to things like your 1Password Master Password.

In technical terms your 1Password Master Password is an encryption password instead of an authentication password; the advice used for one does not apply to the other. Once you have a strong, memorable, and unique Master Password you should not change it.

A good Master Password should be for life.
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob
    Community Member
    Thanks once more, Kahn.

That's why I changed it. For a strong, easily remembered password. I took the advice to take a few lines from a song, add a significant date plus a mix of uppercase and lowercase letters and I came up with a very strong, 17-character password.

One i will _never_ change again or use with anything else.

Happy holidays.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Happy holidays! :D
This discussion has been closed.