4.1b4 Generated Password Issues

Penelope Pitstop
Penelope Pitstop
Community Member
edited December 2012 in iOS
Five related issues so I thought it best to put them in a single post. Hope that's OK.

In my personal keychain there is a Generated Passwords category that appears on Mac, iPhone and iPad. This does not appear in the Demo keychain.

First issue is that when you select that category in portrait orientation, there is a little + button in the title bar that appears to allow you to create a new generated password.

skitch.png?resizeSmall&width=832

Second issue is that there is no little combination generate button on the password field. Although the other fields seem editable.

If you press the Done button, the password is created and it does sync to the Mac.

Third issue is that the + button is unavailable in Landscape mode.

Fourth issue is that if you create a new login item and generate a new password in it and touch done. The app seems to reliably crash.

Fifth issue is that the new login item is created and does sync to the Mac but, crucially, the new generated password does not seem to appear in the generated password list on either iPad or Mac. I've always trusted 1PW to keep every password I ever generate in that list as my ultimate safety net. It no longer seems to be doing that.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2012
    In my personal keychain there is a Generated Passwords category that appears on Mac, iPhone and iPad. This does not appear in the Demo keychain.

There are only certain items in the demo keychain. There are no Generated Password items. There are also no Wireless Routers, for example. I think the idea is to just have a representation not necessarily an exhaustive list of items.

First issue is that when you select that category in portrait orientation, there is a little + button in the title bar that appears to allow you to create a new generated password.

Second issue is that there is no little combination generate button on the password field. Although the other fields seem editable.

Third issue is that the + button is unavailable in Landscape mode.

I just double-checked and the plan right now is that Generated Password items will be read-only on iOS. So the "+" button shouldn't be there.

Fourth issue is that if you create a new login item and generate a new password in it and touch done. The app seems to reliably crash.

I've seen some crashes with Login creation, but I can't reproduce it every time. Does it matter what orientation in your experience?

Fifth issue is that the new login item is created and does sync to the Mac but, crucially, the new generated password does not seem to appear in the generated password list on either iPad or Mac. I've always trusted 1PW to keep every password I ever generate in that list as my ultimate safety net. It no longer seems to be doing that.

Generated Password items have always been separate from Login items. There is not [yet] a way to create them outside of a Login item, though as you mentioned above the beginnings of this are appearing. Just like on your Mac, you would need to create a Generated Password item separately if you want to use it as a safety net. Passwords generated within other items have never duplicated the passwords generated within them into separate Generated Password items.

On the Mac, the ideal workflow is:

1. generate password in browser extension (thus creating the Generated Password item)
    2. use the "View password history" button to fill the password you generated on the registration page on the site's actual login page (thus creating the Login item based on that Generated Password item)

No such workflow exists in iOS yet, but I think it should be possible to get there someday. :)
  • Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    Thanks for your reply Khad.

I agree, if the functionality is not ready, it should not appear in the GUI.

Now, with regard to the safety net. I understood that whenever you save a generated password either through the browser extension or within the app, 1PW saves it in the Generated Passwords category i.e. 1PW deliberately creates that safety net for you. I think the iOS app should do the same.

The reliable crashing was in b4. Doesn't seem to happen so repeatedly in b6.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    The difference in iOS is that there is not a way to generate a password in the browser. If you perform the exact same steps in 1Password for Mac, no Generated Password item is created either:

1. Create a new Login item
    2. Click the button to generate a new password within the Login item

So the real issue I think is that Web mode needs the password generator just like the browser extension on the desktop. Hopefully we can see that in the not too distant future. :D

The reliable crashing was in b4. Doesn't seem to happen so repeatedly in b6.

You mean 4.1b5? Or did you get the build before I did? :) The crash when creating a new Login item should actually be resolved in b6 when it is published. Please let me know.
  • Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    edited December 2012
    khad wrote:

The difference in iOS is that there is not a way to generate a password in the browser. If you perform the exact same steps in 1Password for Mac, no Generated Password item is created either:

1. Create a new Login item
    2. Click the button to generate a new password within the Login item

So the real issue I think is that Web mode needs the password generator just like the browser extension on the desktop. Hopefully we can see that in the not too distant future. :D

We're singing from the same hymn sheet here. I was under the misapprehension that a password was saved in that generated password lists every time like the documentation I linked to describes. That appears not to be the case. Why?

Sometimes I generate passwords that don't naturally fit into the available categories in 1PW. The natural place to do that for me was in the Generated Passwords list on the iPhone in 1PW3. So whilst I agree with you that we need functionality in iOS to match desktop browser extensions, I would also like to see the ability to add to the generated passwords list back.

You mean 4.1b5? Or did you get the build before I did? :) The crash when creating a new Login item should actually be resolved in b6 when it is published. Please let me know.

Yes sorry I did mean b5 (slip of the keyboard) and the crash does seem to be fixed in b6 :)
  • MikeT
    edited December 2012
    Hi,

We're singing from the same hymn sheet here. I was under the misapprehension that a password was saved in that generated password lists every time like the documentation I linked to describes. That appears not to be the case. Why?

Because you're looking at 1Password 3 for Mac docs, what is mentioned in that docs does not mean it works the same way in the 1Password 4 for iOS. 1Password 4 for Mac will work differently as well and match up to what 1Password 4 for iOS does.

When you re-generate a new password in a Login item, the previous generated password will be saved into the "Previously Used Passwords" section in that Login item, it doesn't show up in the Generated Password section anymore.

Sometimes I generate passwords that don't naturally fit into the available categories in 1PW. The natural place to do that for me was in the Generated Passwords list on the iPhone in 1PW3. So whilst I agree with you that we need functionality in iOS to match desktop browser extensions, I would also like to see the ability to add to the generated passwords list back.

We're hearing you, we're trying to figure out what's the best way to do this. Right now, the best thing is to create a generic Login item.

Yes sorry I did mean b5 (slip of the keyboard) and the crash does seem to be fixed in b6 :)

Great!
This discussion has been closed.