Master Password Reveal

I unchecked "Conceal Passwords" under the View menu, but the master password is still concealed with dots.

I'd like to see it when I'm typing it - it's a long sentence and I frequently mistype it.

Thanks.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2012
    Welcome to the forums, kinsykins! The "Conceal Passwords" option only applies to data stored within 1Password. The master password will always be concealed since it should only be stored in your own brain.

For tips on creating a strong, memorable password (that is also easy to type), please see our post:

Toward Better Master Passwords

I don't foresee us ever providing an option to show the incredibly important master password in the clear on the lock screen, but I'll pass your request along to the developers.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
  • Grum
    Grum
    Community Member
    edited December 2012
    This is an interesting question. The first time the topic was raised I automatically said "No!", but on reflection when I am in the privacy of my own home, why not?

I also thought that it would be inappropriate in an open plan office, but not really once I had the chance to grab a desk where my back and thus my monitor was facing a blank wall, and we had privacy screens so that nobody on an adjacent desk could see my monitor.

TrueCrypt does allow this, though to enable it you have to tick a checkbox each time. I found this a good way to get the "finger memory" for the long passphrase I used to use for that.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Grum! I hope you didn't take my post as saying we will never provide the option. We always remain agile. :)

I just don't foresee it happening in the near future. There are certainly cases in which it would not really reduce security (as indicated by the examples you provided). I'll pass your vote along to the developers as well.

Thanks for the feedback. Please keep it coming.

Cheers!
  • Grum
    Grum
    Community Member
    Thanks for the welcome Khad!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    It is my pleasure. Happy New Year! :D
This discussion has been closed.