Password Matching: Domain vs Sub-domain

I've combed through the release notes and other forum posts looking for answers to how to get 1PWD to match passwords for the current sub-domain I'm on rather than suggesting all passwords for the current domain. I work in a post-secondary environment and I have dozens of passwords for our domain but typically only one or two for each sub-domain. Unfortunately 1PWD currently offers suggestions for all passwords stored for our domain instead of just the current sub-domain I'm on.

While it looks like the matching algorithm was completely rewritten back in v3.9.0 released on 2012-03-06, there doesn't appear to be any movement on addressing url matching issue since then. I'm curious to know if this issue is on the books to be addressed in a future release, or if it's been considered and rejected.

I've been using 1PWD since 2008. I'm currently using browser extension v3.9.10.Beta-1 in Chrome mainly.

Cheers

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, wce!

The list of available Login items in the extension popup will be matched to the FQDN. However, you can take advantage of what we call "single-stroke login" by using the Command-\ keyboard shortcut which does look at subdomains.

So, for example, if you have exactly one Login item for a subdomain pressing Command-\ will fill (and optionally submit) the Login for that specific subdomain.

Option-Command-\ will always open the extension popup so you can choose which Login item you want to use.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.
  • khad wrote:

However, you can take advantage of what we call "single-stroke login" by using the Command-\ keyboard shortcut which does look at subdomains.

Does it really? My scenario: one login stored for site.com (gets used for logging into both site.com and auth.site.com), another login stored for admin.site.com. When I hit Control/Cmd-\ I always get asked which login I want to use, even though it should be able to know to use the most specific login available, i.e. admin.site.com's login when I'm on that domain and site.com's login otherwise.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2013
    If you are viewing admin.example.com and have exactly one Login item saved for admin.example.com then single-stroke Login should work. Check all the URLs saved for your "example.com" Login items. My guess is that there is more than one for the subdomain where you are attempting to use single-stroke Login.

If you're still having trouble, could you list all the URLs you have saved in your Login items for that specific domain? You can replace the actual domain with example.com for privacy if you wish.
  • Login items for domain.com:
    • domain.com
    • admin.domain.com

Single-stroke (Ctrl-\) behaviour (poor memory, I was wrong in saying it always promped):
    • on domain.com: asks me which of the above two to use (think it should use domain.com login item)
    • on cas.domain.com: same as above
    • on admin.domain.com: uses admin.domain.com login
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    That is working exactly as designed. As I said earlier, if you exactly one Login for a subdomain, single-stroke login kicks in. That only applies to admin.example.com in your case.

You said you have no Login saved for cas.example.com so single-stroke login doesn't apply there.

Just save a Login item for cas.example.com then you can take advantage of single-stroke Login there too.
This discussion has been closed.