Generating Passwords by Themselves

tatchley
tatchley
Community Member
I love that the new password generator much more sophisticated than in the previous version, however, I have not been able to find away to generate a password and save it as a generated password, like the desktop version. Is this possible in the current iOS version? If not, I believe it should be. After all, not everything can be considered a "login."

Comments

• dteare
    edited December 2012
    tatchley wrote:

I love that the new password generator much more sophisticated than in the previous version

Thanks! I love the new design and additional functionality as well :)

tatchley wrote:

I have not been able to find away to generate a password and save it as a generated password, like the desktop version. Is this possible in the current iOS version? If not, I believe it should be. After all, not everything can be considered a "login."

I always thought of Generated Passwords as a history of all the passwords you generated. The idea was if you generated a strong password in the web browser and forgot to save it, you could jump over to the history section and copy it over into a new Login. With this in mind, we don't allow creation of passwords directly from the Generated Passwords section on iOS.

As you mentioned, we do allow this on the Desktop, so we have some ambiguity there. We're still debating internally the best way to handle generated passwords and there's some really good ideas on the table so we should be able to make things a lot clearer in a future update.
  • tatchley
    tatchley
    Community Member
    Don't tell me you're thinking of removing that feature on the desktop as well...? That'd be terrible! How would one manage all the passwords that are not fit to be "logins"? Sure, you could keep it as a note under a remotely similar login, or even create a Secure Note by itself, but even that is a rather lame solution, not to mention then the password would be visible to any passerby (Idea: allow for concealment of parts of notes). Where, for example, would I properly keep my iOS Passcode, or my SIM PIN, or something as random as locker combination? I vote for keeping GPs.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I keep all of the items you mentioned in Secure Notes and Login items already. The "new" Login items do not require a URL so they sort of combine the "old" Generic Account and Login items into a single item type.

Nothing is written in stone, so we appreciate you sharing your feedback. :)
  • Chris100
    Chris100
    Community Member
    edited January 2013
    I would like to see the "Generated Passwords" in iOS appear somewhere other than the list of categories. Their appearance there seems to contradict the idea that they are a "Safety net" of sorts, elevating them to the same level as a login.

My kids now have 1PW on their iPhones. They default to "all items" in category view, and therefore see generated passwords mixed in. This leads them to believe they do not need to create login items.

To me, "Generated Passwords" are more like items in the trash -- a "just in case" kind of thing. (And I don't see Trash items in iOS).

Perhaps Generated Passwords and Trash could perhaps be tucked away under "Settings".

(please split this to a new thread if deemed appropriate!)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Great feedback! I think that is the direction we are heading, Chris: more of a "password history" associated with actual items than a separate item itself. The confusion in the past has always been exactly what you describe. Login items and Generated Password items have historically been on the exact same "level". I just answered a handful of support issues for this exact thing today. It was this same point of confusion in each of them.
This discussion has been closed.