Feature Request: Folders on iPad

ronhaddix
ronhaddix
Community Member
edited December 1969 in iOS
I got logins, accounts, wallet, etc. but no folders.

My sync works great, by the way. iphone, imac, mbp, ipad.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Sorry for the inconvenience, ronhaddix.

Folders didn't make the cut, at least for the initial release of the 1Password UI as displayed on the iPad. That may be something we look into changing in a future release.
  • cavenewt
    cavenewt
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I thought it was odd that I could see folders on my iPhone but not the iPad. As a consultant, I have an incredible amount of stuff stored in 1P and would really appreciate being able to see my folders. Thanks!
  • rob
    rob
    edited December 1969
    cavenewt wrote:
    I thought it was odd that I could see folders on my iPhone but not the iPad. As a consultant, I have an incredible amount of stuff stored in 1P and would really appreciate being able to see my folders. Thanks!

Motion seconded. All in favor say aye. ;-) We want to get folders in there, but I can't promise a timeframe for that to be implemented.

Thanks for the vote…err…second! :-D
  • papiex
    papiex
    Community Member
    Strong +1 for iPad folders."Must have" for users with more than 100 logins. With this feature, 1password for iPad would be just p e r f e c t. Now it's only sensational ;)
  • papiex wrote:

Strong +1 for iPad folders."Must have" for users with more than 100 logins. With this feature, 1password for iPad would be just p e r f e c t. Now it's only sensational ;)
    It can only get better from here, thanks for your comments about 1Password for iPad. We’ll strive to make it perfect for you. :)
  • DBrown wrote:

Sorry for the inconvenience, ronhaddix.

Folders didn't make the cut, at least for the initial release of the 1Password UI as displayed on the iPad. That may be something we look into changing in a future release.

Yes please! I'm a newbie here, just joined the 1Password bandwagon, and I really NEED folders on my iPad. Maybe my life is just too complicated, but I have a ton of entries in the app for personal stuff, job stuff, freelance writer stuff, family stuff, etc. It's really hard to find things when I've got 12 different email accounts, for example.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2010
    Hi PocketGoddess,

Welcome aboard!

We are really looking forward to adding this in a future release. In the meantime, there is a great search function at the top of the screen that might help ease the pain. It's no folder but can even be faster in some circumstances. :-)
  • kitmos
    kitmos
    Community Member
    papiex wrote:

++++++++++
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I take it that you are excited about this feature as well, kitmos. :-D

Thanks for letting us know. We really appreciate the feedback.
  • Raca
    Raca
    Community Member
    Hello,

Is their a way to have folders on 1Password Pro on iPad?
    I did not find it.
    This same application have folders when installed on an iPhone.

If not available, could we have it one day?

Thanks.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Raca! Thanks for letting us know you would appreciate this feature too. We are looking to add it in a future release.
  • Raca
    Raca
    Community Member
    Can't wait :)

Thanks!
  • +1!

Was a bit surprised not to see this implemented in the pad when already in use on Mac and iPhone .
  • Bernt Nor wrote:

+1!

Was a bit surprised not to see this implemented in the pad when already in use on Mac and iPhone .

Welcome to the forums, Bernt!

Thanks for the feedback, too. It's our goal to eventually establish feature parity to prevent confusion, but we've got a ways to go.
  • kitmos
    kitmos
    Community Member
    I’ll vote for it also again
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Duplicate votes cancel each other out. :-P

Just kidding, thanks for sharing our passion about this feature!
  • Sorta like fraudulently taking money! Given the choice to buy iPhone only version or "Pro" version for both iPhone and iPad for less than the price of the 2 individually and then find out that the "Pro" version is anything but. Missing folders? Incredible that a major feature of the application that's available on all other platforms is not available on the iPad.

Looks likes its been "coming" since the 2nd May 2010.

Any update on when we can expect this feature on the iPad?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Welcome to the forums, gbc!

The only difference between 1Password Pro and our iPhone- and iPad-only special editions are the platforms on which they run. I'm sorry if there was any confusion here. 1Password Pro is our universal app which means that it runs natively on both iPhone and iPad. The two individual apps (1Password for iPhone and 1Password for iPad) are "rolled into" one: 1Password Pro, which does not add any functionality beyond what you would get buying the two separately.

The 1Password for iPad app was, by necessity, developed independently from the iPhone app (as all iPad apps must be). As you mention, 1Password for iPad (and, thus, 1Password Pro running on an iPad) does not yet contain support for folders. We appreciate you sharing your passion for this here!

Looks likes its been "coming" since the 2nd May 2010.

As with all upcoming features and releases, we do not pre-announce or make any guarantees because we simply don't always know when our developer resources will be channeled to a more pressing issue or more widely demanded feature. I'm sorry if that impression was given. I can't seem to find the post in which it was announced or promised. :S

Again, I'm sorry that the feature you really want added has not been added yet, but we are a small team and always have to attempt to balance the features requested by some users with the features requested by others. It is not easy, but we are only human and do our best. Sometimes some folks will be disappointed that the specific feature they wanted was not added while others rejoice that theirs finally was. If we haven't added one that you like yet — Dropbox syncing, Windows support, Android support, Chrome support on the desktop — I hope we do eventually.

I will certainly bring this to the attention of the developers on your behalf, but I cannot offer a time frame for when or if folders will be supported in 1Password for iPad.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you right now, but we really do appreciate the feedback.

Thanks so much for being part of the Agile family.

Best regards,
  • Good to see a calm lucid reply to criticism. I'm sure you appreciate that when one goes searching for "password safe" applications, they are not only looking for cross device syncing (essential!) but also functionality that suits the task at hand. In my case, and obviously many others, we look for structured management. The only "trial" version available to me was the Windows version which was pretty much everything I was looking for. Believe me, I've tried lots of others. The Windows version functionality suited me to a tee. Being a developer myself, I understand all too well the difficulties contronted when supporting applications on multiple devices and operating systems. However, I must admit, this is usually one of presentation not functionality. Folders are folders and I think anyone using your software on one platform would expect equal functionality, albeit presented differently, on other platforms.

That said, I think 1Password is a great app; still struggling a little with the Chrome plugin and matching sites, but well worth the expense. If you get folders implemented on the iPad that you will have a sure winner!

Thanks again for your quick response.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    We really wish the App Store made time-limited trial versions a possibility, but unfortunately it does not at this time. We have tried to be very honest about this limitation including it in the app description:

Folders for better organization (currently iPhone only and requires the desktop application - sold separately)

We are really working our butts off to make the Chrome extension as awesome as possible, and I do hope we can add folders to the iPad as well. The vast majority of users do not use folders, but for those of us who do — well, let's just say it is a sore spot. I completely understand.

I hope we can improve this in a future update.

Thanks for your patience and support.
  • bobbd
    bobbd
    Community Member
    Add me to the group that would like proper folder support in 1Password in iOS. One thing I really don't understand is why 1Password Pro, which is a Universal App, supports the display of folders on the iPhone, but on the iPad it does not.

I use folders to keep things organized (obviously). When I create a new entry on the iPhone, I have to go into 1Password on the Mac and slot the new entry into the appropriate folder. And if I'm on the iPad, I'd better remember what type of thing I'm looking for because there are no folders available.

This inconsistency is about my only complaint with 1Password.

Bob
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Bob! I have added you vote. :-)

Apple (rightly!) blurs the line to customers regarding what goes on behind the scenes, but 1Password Pro contains two completely independent applications "bundled" together (as does every universal app in the iTunes App Store). Just like the 1Password app for Android is different from the iPhone app, 1Password needed to be written from scratch for the iPad. The existing iPhone app was combined with the iPad app to be the universal app 1Password Pro. Like all universal apps, they are completely different apps that "just happen to be sold as one" but they need to be developed independently. I'm sorry if there was any confusion in this regard. It is certainly ideal to have feature parity, but it is not always possible at every stage of development.

This inconsistency is about my only complaint with 1Password.

I will take that as very high praise indeed if that is the only complaint you have about 1Password on either platform! Thank you for your kind words and thank you for the feedback. I will pass your request along to the developers.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Cheers,
  • percheron
    percheron
    Community Member
    I would like to see support not only for regular folders, but also smart folders.

ronhaddix wrote:

I got logins, accounts, wallet, etc. but no folders.

My sync works great, by the way. iphone, imac, mbp, ipad.
  • percheron,

Thanks for adding your vote for regular and smart folders! I'm right there with you. :)

Brandt
This discussion has been closed.