Windows vs. Ipad version

I've just purchased 1Password and like the setup so far. I'm using the Ipad and Windows versions to sync data. I've noticed that the iPad version has a few additional categories such as Servers and Databases. I'm attempting to use the Server section to hold all my web account data, and I've added new Sections and fields using the iPad version. When I open the Windows version, the new Server is classified as Account and I can't see any of the sections and fields I've added. Am I missing something or is all the data not accessible from the Windows version?

Also, I wanted to put in my vote for a category for Home Utilities.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, wad3brown! Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I've passed your vote along to the developers.

Let's see if we can understand a bit more about the situation you describe with Accounts items. Custom fields are not yet supported in 1Password for Windows, so if you created custom fields then that may be where the problem lies. Could you let me know if that is the case?

What happens if you create the items in 1Password for Windows? Does all the data show up in 1Password on your iPad?
  • Thanks for the response Khad. Yes the fields that are missing are custom fields built on the iPad version and then don't show up in the windows version. In the windows version there are very few categories to use and so I tried creating them on the iPad with more options.

If I try to create a new Account in the Win version, it doesn't give me the option to add new fields or sections. The only category I can add custom fields to is the Logins category. I'd rather not have to build all my info as Logins just so I can see my info across all platforms. I understand the windows is beta, unfortunately I didn't see this missing functionality before I spent $60 on setting all this up. Is there a timeline for the Windows version to support the same categories/fields as the iPad?

I'd also like to suggest a custom category option to add your own categories and fields as needed. It's nice to have some templates set, but they're never going to be exactly what people need.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2013
    1Password for Windows is not beta. It was released more than two and a half years ago.

The same templates are available in both iOS and Windows. It is just not possible to add custom fields to them in Windows yet. What sort of data are you trying to store that doesn't fit the available templates? I'd love to help if you can provide more details.

I'd also like to suggest a custom category option to add your own categories and fields as needed. It's nice to have some templates set, but they're never going to be exactly what people need.

While 1Password has used static templates since 2006 with great success, 1Password 4 provides additional flexibility with the ability to add custom fields to the templates. 1Password 4 has only been released on iOS so far but custom fields will be supported in the next major versions for Mac and Windows as well. I'm sorry I am not at liberty to provide a specific release date, but it is already being worked on. We could have sat on 1Password 4 for iOS and not released it until the new versions were ready for Mac and Windows too, but many customers only use iOS devices. We didn't think it was fair to make them wait unnecessarily.

Please do let me know what template you are seeing in iOS that you are not seeing in Windows. I'd love to get it sorted out for you.
  • Thanks Khad for your help, and that helps to know 1P4 is coming with custom fields for Win. I'm trying to store website information for all my sites, and the iOs Server category works well for that because of the option to add fields and sections. For 1 website I need to store ip addresses, usernames, passwords, FTP info, admin access, SSH info, server info, hosting access, backup info, etc... And I want to keep that under 1 account because each site has completely different info.

Right now I can't add all those fields to the windows software so it's kind of useless at the moment. Will I have to pay for the new software when it comes out or is it a free upgrade?
  • Echoing the comments of wad3brown....data which is placed in custom fields of IOS 1Password v4 is inaccessible in the windows version. I purchased v3 of the iphone application immediately before the v4 launch and then upgraded to v4 (and I appreciate Agile standing behind the upgrade). I find the V4 ios product to be quite useful and am extremely happy with it.

On December 28 I purchased the windows version of 1password (I run linux and windows....no macs) and was unaware of the lack of support of ios defined custom fields at that time. This lack of custom field support severely limits the useability of the windows product. Shall I return my windows version and wait for the next release which supports the IOS extended functionality or will that version be an included upgrade?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2013
    For 1 website I need to store ip addresses, usernames, passwords, FTP info, admin access, SSH info, server info, hosting access, backup info, etc... And I want to keep that under 1 account because each site has completely different info.

It sounds like you are trying to store several items' worth of data in one item. Just create a separate item for each separate server. The specific item will depend on the server. For credentials that are not web-based (like FTP, etc.):

File > New Item > Account

Online Services
    Email Account
    FTP Account
    Generic Account
    Internet Provider

Computer and Network Information
    Database
    Server

For web-based credentials, that is precisely what Login items have been created for. 1Password will fill them on web forms both in the built-in browser in iOS and via the browser extensions on the desktop: File > New Item > Login

Then simply use folders to group the items. There is much more flexibility that way than trying to create one comprehensive item that includes everything.

Also, don't forget that you can use the Notes field. Every item type has a Notes field for additional information. :)

As far as 1Password for Windows upgrades, when you purchase 1Password your license will never expire and you can use it on the current version of 1Password indefinitely. (Do note, however, that OS updates could cause certain aspects of 1Password to stop working in the future. For example, when Apple released Safari 3, 1Password required an upgrade to continue functioning.)

Historically, we have been very generous with upgrades: Since we released 1Password, we have given away over 100 free updates and upgrades. We will continue this tradition of generosity and paid license holders will always get all point updates for free. (Going from version 3.5 to version 3.6 is called a “point update” and will be free if you have a 1Password 3 license.)

Major new releases will require a paid upgrade, but it will be a discounted upgrade for paid license holders. Those who purchase 1Password within 45 days of any major upgrade will be able to upgrade for free. (Going from any version of 1Password 3 to any version of 1Password 4 is called a major version upgrade and will be paid, except if you purchased your license within 45 days prior to the new version’s release.)
This discussion has been closed.