Continual Dropbox syncing hangs 1P on my iPhone 4

alamarco
alamarco
Community Member
The new 1Password 4 app runs very slowly on the iPhone 4. Once the app is loaded it runs decent enough, but startup time is minimum 30s. The old 1Password 3 would load up almost immediately with no slow downs.

I do have 400 logins with no other types, but since it works fine with 1Password 3 I don't think number of logins is the problem.

Is there a way to speed up the loading of the app?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    It shouldn't really make a difference, but try restarting your device just in case. You can do this by holding down both the Home and Sleep buttons simultaneously for at least 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears.

There is a delay when unlocking due to PBKDF2. It shouldn't be anywhere near 30 seconds, though. That sounds pretty long. Can you provide a video? I'm wondering if we can see from the video exactly where the delay is in the startup process: time to draw the app on the screen, time to unlock, etc.
  • alamarco
    alamarco
    Community Member
    Apologies for the late response. With the holidays it was quite busy.

I actually restart my phone every morning so I don't think it would be a bogged down phone. I restart using the power button and slide to power off. I believe the method you suggested is a hard restart which isn't very clean.

I can't get a video since it's occurring on my iPhone. I use my iPhone as my camera so that makes it impossible. Perhaps I can describe it better, as I wasn't very specific in my original post.

The 30s basically the time it takes for the app to become usable.
    1) It takes 5-10s to load the Master Password entry screen and if you don't wait another 5s it'll miss keys typed so I usually wait another 5s before entering in my password.

2) Once the password is entered it takes another 5-10s to unlock, which may be the delay due to the PBKDF2.

3) Once unlocked, it takes another 5-10s to properly load all the icons for my logins. The app is semi-usable at this point, but very slow as it's loading the icons which is why I say it takes another 5-10s.

I'm sure it's solvable due to the new UI. Perhaps then it would possible to request an option where the user can specify between using the new icon method for the logins or using the old method or none at all.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2012
    Apologies for the late response. With the holidays it was quite busy.

Completely understandable and "ditto". :)

I actually restart my phone every morning so I don't think it would be a bogged down phone.

I agree. That is probably not the issue if you are already restarting that often. (You don't need to restart that often, by the way. It is sort of like changing the oil in your car every week. It shouldn't really hurt anything but there are probably better ways to spend your time.)

I can't get a video since it's occurring on my iPhone. I use my iPhone as my camera so that makes it impossible. Perhaps I can describe it better, as I wasn't very specific in my original post.

You could use an iPad or Mac (or another iPhone) if you have one available.

1) It takes 5-10s to load the Master Password entry screen and if you don't wait another 5s it'll miss keys typed so I usually wait another 5s before entering in my password.

It's hard to say, but it sounds like that is within expected range if the time is closer to 5s rather than 10s. A video would be best so we could see the exact time rather than rough estimates. Or, barring that, the lap timer on a stopwatch could give a more precise measure. I think it may just be due to it being an old device.

2) Once the password is entered it takes another 5-10s to unlock, which may be the delay due to the PBKDF2.

Yep. That should be due to PBKDF2.

3) Once unlocked, it takes another 5-10s to properly load all the icons for my logins. The app is semi-usable at this point, but very slow as it's loading the icons which is why I say it takes another 5-10s.

The icons are loaded from an image server. I know there is an issue on iPhone 3GS, so the improvements we are working on for that should also help in your case as well.

I'm sure it's solvable due to the new UI. Perhaps then it would possible to request an option where the user can specify between using the new icon method for the logins or using the old method or none at all.

You can disable the "Show Rich Icons" option in Settings > Advanced if you wish. That should eliminate (3).

There is always room for improvement so future updates will most likely improve performance, but without seeing a video or having a more precise measurement of the time it sounds like 1Password may be working as expected right now.

Please let me know. I'd love to be able to pass some hard data along to the developers. We'll double-check iPhone 4 performance.
  • coordinated
    coordinated
    Community Member
    edited January 2013
    Dear Agile folk

Whilst I love the new features of version 4, it has yet to work reliably on my iPhone 4 (now running 4.1) - even though its (mostly) fine on my iPad 3.

Why is everything so unresponsive when Dropbox sync is (continually, repeatedly) underway? If there are issues with Dropbox, why can't I just open the app and *see my data* straight away, with Dropbox syncing in the background in a non-blocking way? And why is sync so slow anyway?

I'd really welcome some support. Full history below...

I followed these instructions when upgrading from v3. My 1Password data is only stored under /1Password. There's still a /.ws.agile.1Password.settings file containing a link to the keychain in that folder.

It takes over 2 minutes to unlock 1P on my iPhone 4 (the same isn't true on my iPad 3, which lets me straight in). I've tried deleting the app and re-installing but it doesn't make any difference. Turning off Dropbox sync crashed the app, but I could then unlock the app immediately.

Entering a URL in the browser does nothing; it just sits there. (Again, this worked after turning off Dropbox sync).

It takes over 5 minutes to complete its Dropbox sync, even though only a couple of items have changed, and then starts again with another full sync. (This issue is also a problem on my iPad 3). Bandwidth isn't an issue (I'm on a reliable wifi connection to a 100Mb link) and Dropbox is behaving normally elsewhere). Note that the whole dataset is being imported, and changes to items are being successfully synced between devices though.

I've tried turning off sync, deleting my data, and setting up sync again - but it doesn't help.
    I've rebuilt the database on my iMac, waited for Dropbox to catch up, then repeated the above. Once the Dropbox sync had finished, I quit the app and waited a few minutes before reatarting it. I could now unlock the app quickly, but then no data was shown in Categories until yet another sync finished. Then it appears, then sync starts and everything either disappears or hangs.

What next?

Best wishes,
    Steve

PS I've already sent two diagnostic emails (from my coordinated.org domain if you want to cross-ref them) but haven't had a reply.
    I've logged my frustrations with your support processes separately.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited January 2013
    Hey Steve

To touch on Dropbox yes they were having a few API issues in the last couple of days. Which has according to them been rectified. https://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=95313#post-521444

As to sync time yes it could have been affected. The initial sync is taking much longer due to attachments being synced. Once the initak sync occurs it should be a lot faster.

As to the [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]/.ws.agile.1Password.settings file its still needed if you are running anything pre v [/font]1Password 4 iOS, if not you can remove it. 1Password 4 now defaults to the /1Password folder in Dropbox for your keychain.

--

Tom Hightower

AgileBits (1Password) Support Moderator / Dropbox Forum Moderator
  • mikaellu
    mikaellu
    Community Member
    Unfortunately I can only agree with Steve. On my iPhone 4 1 Password has become close to useless since the upgrade to 4.1. On my iPad 3 it seems to be working fine but on the iPhone it takes a very LONG time to log in, once logged in sometimes it is empty and I have to wait for my passwords to appear again. This is very frustrating as I rely heavily on 1Password for … passwords… As a long time user (several years) this is the first time I have EVER had problems with 1Password so I am confident any issues will be resolved promptly, however I am starting to get worried as the workweek is approaching FAST.

I have not gone to the lengths that Steve has in order to try to solve this problem. I have restarted my device, both an ordinary restart as well as the reset restart (press power and home button until Apple icon displays) which makes NO difference. I have 1Password on two MacBook Pros, my iPad3 and my iPhone 4. It is only on the iPhone 4 I am having issues. I did change my master password last week if that makes any difference, that seems to have applied to all my devices (even though I have to admit being a bit confused by the process).

Anyway,just wanted to make sure any interested party knows that Steve is not alone with this problem.
  • coordinated
    coordinated
    Community Member
    edited January 2013
    thightower wrote:
    To touch on Dropbox yes they were having a few API issues in the last couple of days. Which has according to them been rectified. https://forums.dropb...313#post-521444

As to sync time yes it could have been affected. The initial sync is taking much longer due to attachments being synced. Once the initak sync occurs it should be a lot faster.

Thanks for replying, Tom.

I appreciate the recent Dropbox problems, but all other Dropbox apps are working on my iPhone and 1Password is working on my iPad 3 and my three Macs.

Note that it does sync all 1600 items after setting it up from scratch, but everything points to a problem with 1P specifically:
    1. It keeps trying to re-sync, repeatedly
    2. It's incredibly slow on the iPhone 4 but not on the iPad 3

thightower wrote:
    As to the [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]/.ws.agile.1Password.settings[/font] file its still needed if you are running anything pre v 1Password 4 iOS, if not you can remove it. 1Password 4 now defaults to the /1Password folder in Dropbox for your keychain.

Thanks for clarifying. Do I still need it for the old 3.8.20 I'm still running on 10.6.8 until I upgrade to Mountain Lion?

Best wishes,
    Steve
  • coordinated
    coordinated
    Community Member
    mikaellu wrote:
    Unfortunately I can only agree with Steve
    Anyway,just wanted to make sure any interested party knows that Steve is not alone with this problem.

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    edited January 2013
    I experience the long login time on iPhone 4 too.

iPad is fine.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for all your feedback, everyone.

There is a known issue that is specific to iPhone 4 which we are working to resolve. I'm told we have enough data to proceed right now, but I just want to make sure you all know this is being worked on. The issue as I currently understand it pertains to Dropbox syncing on iPhone 4. If you are not syncing via Dropbox and not using an iPhone 4 you are likely experience a different issue. Please do start a new thread in that case so we can better assist you.

Steve, as you know I've already replied to your email, so we can work with you there to make sure everything is resolved. We want to make sure there is not another issue at play in your specific case.
  • taoman
    taoman
    Community Member
    edited January 2013
    Hi Khad,

I am sorry but I have the same problem on a iphone 3GS
    Very slow, syncing always vey long, datas diseappears during the syng and reappaers after 1 to 1 0 sec

Regards
  • bswins
    edited January 2013
    Hello taoman,

Thank you for letting us know. Would you please clarify if you experience a delay in progressing past the log in screen prior to the syncing issues that you mentioned? Specifically, approximately how many seconds does it take to unlock 1Password after you submit your master password or Quick Unlock Code?

We appreciate your help. :)

Cheers!

Brandt
  • Thank you for the feedback, everyone!

My guess is that it might have something to do with 1Password trying to unlock the data file that was downloaded from Dropbox. Since this data file was created on a desktop, the number of PBKDF2 iterations is probably very high and it takes a while on a slower iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 to decrypt.

In almost all cases this should be happening in background and not affect the unlock screen (unless you recently changed the master password on the desktop and then entered the new password in iPhone).

I am going test everything on iPhone 3GS today to see what could be causing this problem.
  • Chad,

I was experiencing the same issues so I took the liberty and did some videos. My issues seem a tad different more because its very sparaodic, but have a look at all these videos. I wasn't able to capture one video that had the same issues each time, but they all show slowness in certain aspects of the app.

http://www.youtube.c...L5QRDxqVXwXriEs

1) Master Password screen taking a long time to display
    2) Favorites or Categories taking a very long time to load
    3) Login taking a long time to happen.

One thing that I wanted to point out is that I'm syncing from Dropbox and notice that the syncing process looks like its already going before you log in. In addition, when you do log in and nothing from favorites or categories is displaying it usually immediately happens after the sync completes.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need any more information.
  • roustem
    edited January 2013
    Turned out that there are two problems:

1. Some of our Dropbox code is running on the queues with default priority and it is competing with the unlocking. The unlock operation has to wait for the Dropbox request to complete.

2. Dropbox servers were having issues in the past few days and some of the network requests are very slow.

I fixed the first issue and will publish a new beta build later tonight. If everything is fine with the build then we'll submit an update to App Store in the next few days.
  • taoman
    taoman
    Community Member
    Brandt,

Time [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"] to unlock 1Password after submitting master password[/font] = 2 minutes
    After unlock --> synchro iCloud = 3 minutes and synchro Dropbox = 5 minutes
    Wait iPhone lockscreen timer
    Open again 1P --> Time PIN unlock : 1 minute
    No Synchro iCloud (say last syncho 5 minutes) but again synchro Dropbox (3 times) = 6 minutes --> iCloud says now last synchro 11 minutes

iPhone 3GS connected on WiFi

Hope it can help
    If you need logs, tell me what to send

Regards

Denis
  • Thanks Denis,

I'm glad that the 3GS didn't have the same log in delay that the iPhone 4 has had! Regardless, it appears that Roustem has found the issues causing both problems....at least, I am confident. :)

I appreciate you letting me know the details, and I do hope this issue is squashed quickly.

Kind regards,

Brandt
  • Sorry Denis,

I misread 2 "minutes" as 2 "seconds". It's been a long day. :(

Thankfully, I believe Roustem's fix still applies. :)

Brandt
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    alamarco and Spydi, I just merged the two threads for this issue into one. As Roustem mentioned in his post above, the issue should be resolved in the next update. Thanks so much for your feedback and patience.

If there is anything else we can help with in the meantime, please let us know. (Please do start a new thread if it is a separate issue, though.) We are always available to help! :)
  • coordinated
    coordinated
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

There is a known issue that is specific to iPhone 4 which we are working to resolve.
    Steve, as you know I've already replied to your email, so we can work with you there to make sure everything is resolved. We want to make sure there is not another issue at play in your specific case.

roustem wrote:

I fixed the first issue and will publish a new beta build later tonight. If everything is fine with the build then we'll submit an update to App Store in the next few days.

Thanks, Khad - will respond in email to discuss the remaining issues (continual re-sync'ing on both iPhone and iPad).

And many thanks to Roustem for providing such a rapid fix :-)
  • Thanks guys for the prompt response. I figured the video would help diagnose what we all were talking about. Looking forward to the fix.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Cheers! Hopefully it won't be too long now. :)
This discussion has been closed.