Unread forum indicator [HINT: Mark all as read to reset baseline]

khad
khad
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Welcome to Vanilla Forums!.

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

In the old forums, we could see from the forum list page when a particular forum last had a new entry. With the new forums, one has to go to each individual forum to find that out. This is much less convenient, as previously one just glanced to see which forums needed looking at, now one has to open them all.

Is this just a matter of fine-tuning the new forums, or are we stuck with the new behaviour?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I think you may just need to mark all the posts in the forums as read to reset the baseline. Right now I think you are seeing unread posts in all the forums, so there is no distinction between forums which are completely read versus those which contain unread posts. Once you mark all as read in each forum, you'll see future posts indicated differently: white means new posts, gray means no new posts.

• Chris100
    Chris100
    Community Member

Another tip is that when the pointer is over a forum, it turns light blue regardless of status.

So mouse away from a forum to see if it is has a white background (contains unread items).

• charlie98
    charlie98
    Community Member

I suspect there are 2 issues wrt mark as read

1. Are there new posts within a particular forum (maybe my terminology is wrong as threads seems to be the button to push)? Khad has answered this

white means new posts, gray means no new posts

1. Once into a particular forum how do you identify what individual discussions have been read? All my discussions are white, even the ones that I have read.
  • Chris100
    Chris100
    Community Member
    edited January 2013

A discussion with at least one unread comment will appear with a bold title.

• Hi guys,

I don't know if you were able to mark the forum as read but I just enabled it. If you hover over the forums to click on the gear icon to select Mark Read, that should fix the problem with see all unread posts right now.

Mark all as read

The migration from the previous forum marked all the posts as unread for everybody, thus we need to set all forums as read to see the unread/read statuses better.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

OK, I'll see how this goes (and this discussion overrides my post in another thread). Not the most obvious way to get a gear icon, but one does not have to use that option often.

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member

@khad

The colour coding for display of sub-forums is inconsistent. For example, even though I have read all in 1 Password iOS Beta, it appears white at the top of the main iOS forum.

• Hi Penelope,

I've forwarded the issues to our designers, hopefully, they'll fix it quickly.

This discussion has been closed.