Multiple bugs in Folders

wailam
wailam
Community Member
Is this bug reproducible?

Yes

Which devices did this bug appear on and is it reproducible on any devices?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1, 1PW4.1b20

A quick summary of the bug WITH steps to reproduce:

Folders needs a lot of work. List of bugs:
  1. Empty folders can be created anytime on root or sub folders
    1. Select Folders
    2. Select Edit
    3. Touch + green icon for New Folder
    4. New empty folder is created, allowing you to set the name of the folder
    5. Do not enter the name. Instead touch the + green icon for New Folder again
    6. Repeat step 5 for any number of times.
    7. Select Done button at top right corner
    8. All empty folders created.
    9. Within a few seconds, all empty folders are removed automatically leaving 1 empty folder. You can navigate into empty folder.
  2. Done button on virtual keyboard behaves differently than Done button on top right corner:
    1. Done on virtual keyboard did not exit/complete edit mode. You can still view the – red icon next to each folder entry
    2. Done on top right corner exits edit mode, saving any modifications
  3. An item (E.g. Login item) added to Folder differs than the actual item in the Categories or Favorites section:
    1. Go to Categories and find any Login item with username and password.
    2. Add the Login item to Favorites. Open the Login item from Favorites.
    3. Add the Login item to any Folder. Open the Login item from Folder.
    4. Go to the Categories section/tab and view the same Login item.
    5. Edit the Login item and update either the username, password or any field. Click Done.
    6. Go back to the Folders section showing the Login item – the Login item still shows old info!
  4. An item (e.g. Login item) is removed from Folder when the item is edited from the Categories section:
    1. Same steps as above (3)
    2. Go back to Folder listing from item view that is outdated
    3. Item is removed from Folder!
  5. In sub folders, user can change the text of the ‘New Folder’ action
    1. Go to any sub folder
    2. Select + green icon for New Folder
    3. Do not enter folder name
    4. Select the + button top left corner to add an item to this folder.
    5. All items list is displayed. Select any item.
    6. Item is added to folder. Still in edit mode
    7. Touch the New Folder text
    8. You can now edit the text! Although this is not persistent it still could confuse users as they move around creating/editing/adding/removing items in the Folders section

Recommendation:
  • Ensure Done action is consistent (on virtual keyboard and other available positions).
  • Item view/edit should be consistent across any sections (Categories, Favorites, Folders). They should always show the same content regardless of where they are displayed. Updating an item should not remove from any Folders.
  • Follow Dropbox method for creating folders. They follow iOS convention of a confirmation button (titled Create) at the top right, and cancel button at the top left. Empty folder name is not allowed. When folder name has 1 or more characters, the ‘Create’ confirmation button at top right is enabled, otherwise the button stays disabled when the folder name is blank.
  • Follow iTunes Music Add Playlist method for creating folders. They use a modal dialog where the name is expected to be entered, with 2 buttons: Cancel and Save. If user select Save for blank name, nothing gets created.
  • Enable or Disable buttons/icons accordingly until an action completes. This will prevent further user errors.
  • Follow iOS convention for deleting folders using the swipe gesture on a folder name followed by displaying a Delete button next to the folder. Reverse swipe to cancel deletion – this is std behavior for free but less 1Password branding.
  • I like the Favorites feature but not really finding any use for Folders plus not ready for prime time use. Consider removing this if no time to fix.

Hope this helps.

Comments

• Steve_Joyner
    Steve_Joyner
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2013
    My environment: [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1, 1PW4.1b20 (same as [/font]wailam).

I can reproduce (100%) his reported items: 1, 2, and 5.

I cannot reproduce his reported items: 3 or 4.

I agree with all his recommendations. Clarification, under his 4th bullet, he's referring to the "Music" app -- not the "iTunes" or the non-existent "iTunes Music" app.

I'd like to underscore his recommendation on being "true" to iOS conventions. An iPhone user -- even a newbie -- has an expectation that, for example, a horizontal swipe brings up a delete button. To implement a different method create, at best, a "pregnant pause." At worst, confusion.

It strikes me as somewhat Microsoft-esque (or Adobe-esque) to create new methods (i.e., reinvent the wheel) for the common tasks such as delete, create, or move vis-à-vis folders.
  • Hi guys,

Thanks for the great feedback. We are planning to overhaul the Folders interface completely a future update to 1Password 4, we know that it is lacking at the moment.

We're not trying to re-invent the wheel here. To provide an interface consistent to the typical iOS conventions still require a lot of custom work for us, so it's not something that we can pull out of the frameworks that is provided for the iOS developers. We still want to add our own style to the conventions. Who knows, we might come up with some cool ideas that even Dropbox didn't come up with. :)

This discussion has been closed.